Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 158628 times)

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2011, 07:39:47 AM »
teaspoon... what is the domain name... I can try to see what you have going on

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2011, 07:54:16 AM »
The biggest benefit of building your own is knowledge.  Once you put one together you have a better idea of how they work and customization and upgrading get easier.  Just like any project.  The more you know about it the better informed decisions you can make regarding the subject.

Also, warranty items are a blessing and a curse.  An OEM system may have a 1 year warranty on parts (Even though some individual parts have longer warranties).  Most hard drives have warranties running into 3 to 5 years and some components like memory could even have lifetime warranties.  Its a trade off, the hassle to tracking warranties vs ease of single source for warranty.

If you can take your time to build a system and for the same money, score higher end individual parts at lower prices.  It all depends on how much time you want to put into researching.  The most fun for me is searching for parts, comparing them, determining the top 2 or 3 and then finding the best price on them I can.  Kind of a challenge.   You can get a bit more selective on components that way also.  If you don't need a motherboard with certain features or a tv tuner card etc built in.  You can get a higher end (but with fewer features) MB and slap a better video card in to get faster video performance etc.   

Also, dedicated components tend to have a higher performance ratio than mixed or combo devices.  Specialization breeds performance gains.

I'll try to put together a decent parts list for your price.  Kind of a "What would Doc do" if I had $500 to build the same machine.  It would not be the end all be all, just a guideline of what kind of components you might want to consider.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »

If I were building to your specs and price.  This is roughly what I would choose.  (please remember these are just guideline parts.  I haven't had time to go out and research each component to ensure best of breed/price).  Also,  I just pulled them all from tiger so you may be able to find parts cheaper elsewhere. 
I did not do my due diligence to guarantee compatibility either.  That takes a little digging and research to ensure there are not any major known issues with the components. 

Case (Assuming you keeping your old case unless its some kind of proprietary job).

Power  Supply: I would recommend absolute minimum 500 watt, but for clean power with high end video (or to add a second video card in an SLI configuration later) get a 700 watt with dual video power supplies.  This will run around $50 or higher.  Power Supply

Motherboard/CPU combo:    ASUS M4A785-M Motherboard and AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad Core Processor Bundle  Motherboard CPU combo

Memory:  Kingston KVR800D2K2S/4GETR 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 Laptop Memory Upgrade - 2x2048MB, SODIMM, Dual Channel, Non-ECC, Unbuffered  (Start with 1 pack for 4 gigs, and you can always add another 4 gigs later if you need more ram (or if you go with windows 7 64 bit).

Video card:  This is where it gets sticky.  Lots of variety in cards.  Also, how do you capture your video now?  Via dedicated card, or seperate USB/Firewire capture device or TV tuner card?   For the sake of simplicity, I like the ATI multifunction cards.  Such as the ATI All-In-Wonder cards.  (I've used them for years).   ATI All-In-Wonder     Dedicated TV tuner/video capture cards can be better performers though.   

Capture card External:  I like the Canopus stuff but it runs a bit more.  Pinacle extremal devics work great and have both Firewire and USB connectivity.  If you want the faster speeds of firewire go with the pro  Pinnacle Movie Studio Pro  Or if USB is good enough, the regular is just fine. Pinnacle movie studio

Internal is less convenient but can have much faster throughput than USB/Firewire.  Like the hauppauge card for example.  I find that throughput on the externals is usually good enough and I can move them to other machines easily if I need to.

Last but not least is Audio.  On-board audio is getting better all the time, but I still tend to see interference and distortion on built in audio so I like to use dedicated audio cards (which tend to filter better).  The sound-blaster stuff has always worked well for me.  Sound Blaster Xfi

So with these components your looking at: roughly $425 and leaves some overhead for boosting other components or throwing in an additional hard drive.  (I didn't get into raid which can boost performance, but adding an additional hard drive and using the on-board raid controller you may get better I/O performance).

power supply $60
MB and CPU $129
Memory $60
Video (With built in capture and editing) $125
Audio $51

OS ranging from $80 to $300

Again, this is just a quick search and grab parts list.  You can spend a little more time looking for components and pricing them out to get better pricing.

Hope this helps

Doc

Offline D Haught

• Prepper
    • eBusiness beginner
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
Thanks for the info, it will help a great deal. I think I may need to buy a case since the one we have now is a Gateway and I'm not sure if it's proprietary to them or not.

Another question I just thought of is; do the components come with the necessary connectors or wires or are there any miscellaneous pieces I need to purchase to complete the assembly?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2011, 09:16:49 PM »
Another question I just thought of is; do the components come with the necessary connectors or wires or are there any miscellaneous pieces I need to purchase to complete the assembly?

If you purchase a "barebones kit" (which is a case, power supply, and motherboard pre-assembled), it ought to include any cables and connectors and hardware needed inside the case, and sometimes a CPU fan if the case requires a custom design.  I've used barebones kits for building 3 computers.  The downside is you get somewhat less choice (e.g., you can't get every available motherboard model in a barebones kit bundle).

If you buy the case, power supply, and motherboard separately, I'm not sure what cables and stuff you'll get.  The product description should list what's included.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2011, 09:43:19 PM »
Yes, you will almost always end up with many extra cables and connectors.  The low end components might only come with one cable, but the high end components usually have every connection option available with them.  I don't think I've ever had to buy separate cables on any of my last 30 or so builds.   (I have 3 rubermaid totes full of "Extra" connectors and cables LOL).

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #126 on: May 17, 2011, 09:19:09 AM »
I just got my first SSD drive... excited (250GB)

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »
SSD's ROCK.  Been using them in several forms for the last 2 years.  Rolled out all of our truck laptops with them over the last 2 years and not had a single failure.   Performance is good (not as earth shattering as they like to advertise though LOL).

Been very happy with them. 

Offline Jackncoke

• Survivor
  • aka Silverfox
    • Sunset Shores Travel
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2011, 08:54:27 PM »
I have another question. Now that my wife has her business started, what make a website "good". I don't want a 90's website. I envision something with a little more meat on it's bones. Anyone have any suggestions on reference material, experience, opinions, etc?

Offline Jackncoke

• Survivor
  • aka Silverfox
    • Sunset Shores Travel
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
I think I may have found something. Here's a little something for those with the same question:
http://bit.ly/lFWG0W

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2011, 03:35:19 AM »
Greetings computer gurus.  I need help acquiring a video file from a news website.  I tried videodownloadhelper (or something close to that) and was only able to save the short 15 second ad that preceded the news clip.  If you think that you can help, please send a PM and I'll provide a link to the video.  For opsec purposes, I'm reluctant publicly post the link.  Thanks.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
I have a question... I have been working at a pet store for a while and have gained a lot of knowledge about fish and small animals... I started a podcast on podbean and considering purchasing a package but I do not like the fact that at the end of the website name there is a podbean.com listed... is there a good podcast website hosting company that is really reliable, under $50 a year, and does not have their domain name listed at the end but still easy for me to use?

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
We are recommending host gator. Use the link on the TSP home page.

here is a video to get you rolling
http://www.jackspirko.com/episode-15-two-minutes-to-blogging-with-wordpress-and-fantastico

here is a site with good wordpress themes

http://www.themeforest.net

I have a question... I have been working at a pet store for a while and have gained a lot of knowledge about fish and small animals... I started a podcast on podbean and considering purchasing a package but I do not like the fact that at the end of the website name there is a podbean.com listed... is there a good podcast website hosting company that is really reliable, under $50 a year, and does not have their domain name listed at the end but still easy for me to use?

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:16 AM »

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
Alright.  Yeah right now I am working with podbean and I hate it... so another question... I have some people that I want to have an interview with over skype and I want to know if there are any particular programs that I can use for the occasion.  The only programs that I am finding are the ones that cost 50 dollars or more if you want to use it for longer than 15 minutes.  I figure there are other programs out there outside of skype.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:56 AM »
it is possible to record skype using http://www.mp3mymp3.com/

try it out first on your mom or something... just to make sure it works

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:40 AM »
This is an article that appeared on one of my feeds a couple weeks ago so I'll post it here.  Can't vouch for it but it is aimed at those wanting to do podcast interviews (and the guy who wrote it does a ton of them).

http://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/6837/how-to-conduct-a-quality-podcast-interview-in-7-steps

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:51 AM »
An old reporter who set me up on my first podcast taught me about Double Ending. We did it over the phone. We would both set up to record our own side of the conversation and at the start we would both count down from 5 together. Then I would send him my wav file and he would sync up both tracks, it ended up sounding like we were both in the same room. Easy to cut out any coughs or sneezes if they happened when the other person was speaking with each of us on our own track.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
@chris.. we use that for drowninginthemainstream.com

however what you will discover is in our niche people can't even use skype, much less record an mp3 and send it to you... so it depends on the abilities of your guest

check out ipadio.com  ... if you have a conference line (such as on most cell phones) you can record an mp3 using their free 1800 #

there are also a number of free conference call services online

I have used freeconferencecall.com and it does a good job

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
Don't I know it. One of my first interviews was with a wife of an old baseball trainer. I tried to explain what I wanted to do but she wanted nothing to do with computers, no problem I recorded it over the phone. 4 weeks later a 1/4 inch reel to reel tape of her side of the conversation showed up by UPS. Turns out she used to work at a radio station in Houston years ago and still had alot of the old gear. Blew me away. Took me a few days to find a machine to play it so I could record it on to the computer  ;D

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2011, 11:00:50 AM »
it is possible to record skype using http://www.mp3mymp3.com/

When I go to download this my antimalware program keeps alerting me that I am downloading a contaminated file.  Any reason why?

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Don't I know it. One of my first interviews was with a wife of an old baseball trainer. I tried to explain what I wanted to do but she wanted nothing to do with computers, no problem I recorded it over the phone. 4 weeks later a 1/4 inch reel to reel tape of her side of the conversation showed up by UPS. Turns out she used to work at a radio station in Houston years ago and still had alot of the old gear. Blew me away. Took me a few days to find a machine to play it so I could record it on to the computer  ;D

I keep a player like that around just in case.  ::) I never figure on needing it, but hey you never know.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2011, 12:38:51 PM »
What I've learned is that digital is not a very good archival medium. Sure it can hold tons of data and if you store it right you should be ok. I have old zip discs that I'll probably never get around to. I heard from a friend of mine that works on restoring old movies, that we'd loose more on digital format incompatibilities than the old reels going bad. As long as you can shine a light though the strips or have a magnet over the audio tapes you can see or hear whatever is on there.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
When I go to download this my antimalware program keeps alerting me that I am downloading a contaminated file.  Any reason why?

Hmm... maybe that is the wrong url.. just in case use this link instead  http://download.cnet.com/MP3-My-MP3-Recorder/3000-2170_4-10369269.html

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2011, 02:48:28 PM »
Here are some tips for podcasting and programs I found very useful.

I use a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard right now for my day-to-day but I also used to work with a separate windows laptop for testing and running windows software (now I use a virtual machine on the mac and can boot my mac into OS X, WIN7, WINXP, Ubuntu Linux and even the new Chrome OS).

I use Adobe Audition for editing audio files on a Windows box. It is not a free program and the Macintosh equivalent from Adobe really sucks in comparison. I have used Audacity on OS X and it isn't bad though.

One program that is just absolutely awesome and useful is a mac utility called "Audio Hijack." This can be used to "hijack" any application on your computer and record any audio playing from the software.

For example, you can open a youtube URL and record the audio from a video file. You can record sounds from video games, record audio from Skype, your built-in Microphone, and any other source.

It can actually be used to record the audio tracks into seperate files (for example, you can set it to record your microphone input into one track and the incoming sound from skype into a second track.

I would use Adobe Audition to record my own audio with the PC and run the sound-out port into the sound-in port on the mac, which is basically feeding my microphone audio into the mic jack of the macintosh... Then I could call someone with Skype and record THEIR audio using audio hijack and ONLY record the other party. In the end I would have 2 seperate audio tracks that could me merged and edited seperately in Audition which supports multitrack editing.

In Audition, you can set up additional tracks for sound effects, background music, etc.

Just about any program that can easily convert audio files around, record, and edit are useful.

As for setting up a podcast feed I did it manually by editing an xml file (which is all a "podcast" is). The XML file needs to be formatted in a certain standard format where each show is a node, with child nodes for description, audio file url, and other information contained within. I know there are online services / sites / open source tools to automate that step for you.

The best part about the skype setup is if your other party is using a computer with a decent microphone the audio quality of their track will be MUCH better than if you are recording them over a phone line. If they are using a condenser mic then it will be about as good as if they were sitting next to you recording through the same mic plugged into your computer. 

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
ok so I have a new concern.  I have gotten an email from a guy named Bruce Kimble and apparently he is with last minute domains.  He is telling me that understandingpets.com (my podcast name) is going to go on sale soon and I should buy it. 

To me that sounds like a scam.  I also do not want to loose that domain name.  Have you guys ever heard of this kind of issue?

By the way... understanding pets is the name of the podcast.  That is why it matters to me.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:47 AM »
Sounds fishy.  The domain expires in 4/2012....not "soon" to me.  Here is the registrar info:

Registrar Name....: Register.com
   Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
   Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: understandingpets.com
   Created on..............: 2002-04-03
   Expires on..............: 2012-04-03

edit: archer: removed personal info (i know, still easy to get if you know how)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:46:15 PM by Archer »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2011, 02:47:03 PM »
To me that sounds like a scam.  I also do not want to loose that domain name.  Have you guys ever heard of this kind of issue?

scammer. ignore it. i've seen it tons of times. just keep track of your domains yourself.

Offline slingblade

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I aim to kill you with it.
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Looking to make the jump from MS Access.  A dozen or so tables, a few hundred fields.  Any ideas on the tools to use?  I'm leaning toward Dreamweaver + LAMP.  I'll be running my own server and it will be some *nix variant.  Should be web accessible.  Ipad friendly might be nice too.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
Looking to make the jump from MS Access.  A dozen or so tables, a few hundred fields.  Any ideas on the tools to use?  I'm leaning toward Dreamweaver + LAMP.  I'll be running my own server and it will be some *nix variant.  Should be web accessible.  Ipad friendly might be nice too.
LAMP = Linux+Apache+MySQL+PHP.  a good set of tools that work good together. I've not tried any good GUI tools myself recently.