Author Topic: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers  (Read 158641 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: Website/Computer Questions... I got answers
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »
It's been a few years since I used this seriously, but for LAMP this is incredibly helpful (esp. if you have your site hosted remotely):

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2011, 12:38:01 PM »
I'll second that. All the PHP sites I have at hosting companies are using phpmyadmin in their control panels. We also use it for a LAMP server here at work.

Beats the hell out of the other open source options for managing mysql databases that existed before.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
Hey guys, thank you for all your help so far.  I think I will go to the libary one day and start reading on some of the things that I need help with.  Im sure there are book out there that I can find that will explain this kind of stuff to me.  I went to college to work my way up the ranks in the fire service, not computers... which when I think about it, it would have made more money...

+1 to everyone that responded to my cries for help!  Im sure I will use you guys again soon!

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
we use sqlyog at work and it rocks pretty hardcore.

It's been a few years since I used this seriously, but for LAMP this is incredibly helpful (esp. if you have your site hosted remotely):

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2011, 11:56:14 AM »
Wordpress Question?

What are people using to combat spam comments in Wordpress?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2011, 01:54:31 PM »

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2011, 08:44:34 AM »
ok so another question.  I listen to many different podcasts and I hear songs that are used from songs you hear on the radio to songs that are like sound clips. 

For example, the first song that Jack used on his podcast was the "another day another dollar" and Bob Mayne from Today's Survival Show has some beach music.

So for the actual question... How do they get to use that song?  Do they just download them and put the on the podcast or do they buy the rights to the song?  I am trying to re amp my podcast and this is another way of doing it.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2011, 08:47:48 AM »
ok so another question.  I listen to many different podcasts and I hear songs that are used from songs you hear on the radio to songs that are like sound clips. 

For example, the first song that Jack used on his podcast was the "another day another dollar" and Bob Mayne from Today's Survival Show has some beach music.

So for the actual question... How do they get to use that song?  Do they just download them and put the on the podcast or do they buy the rights to the song?  I am trying to re amp my podcast and this is another way of doing it.
from what i've heard (literally), you need to get music that has open rights. lots of podcasters use 'podcast safe music'. there are a few sites on the web for that, google it.
you dont want to use any music you find, the owner could come after you...

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
you can use a song from the radio and as long as you stay a small fry you *might* not be bothered.   I would suggest buying stock music OR download free podsafe audio

from what i've heard (literally), you need to get music that has open rights. lots of podcasters use 'podcast safe music'. there are a few sites on the web for that, google it.
you dont want to use any music you find, the owner could come after you...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2011, 08:58:38 AM »
you can use a song from the radio and as long as you stay a small fry you *might* not be bothered.   I would suggest buying stock music OR download free podsafe audio

thanks for making my muddy comment clearer ladieu!

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2011, 09:16:48 AM »
Thanks folks!

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
Ok... so I have a website and a Blog reel going... now I want to add a plugin that will allow people to listen to the podcast from the main page like Jack does... I am using Wordpress to do this... I can not figure it out!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2011, 07:12:21 AM »
Clybrad
I use the Wordpress plug-in "blubrry"
It adds a player right to the page.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2011, 07:17:36 AM »
I have a question.
Is anyone familiar with RawVoice?
I received an offer from them and I'm trying to figure out if its worth looking at or if its just a scam.
They are saying they will publish and promote my podcast for 30 days as a trial, and pay us $17.50 per 1000 downloads.
Currently we come close to 1000 downloads a day without their promotions.

So has anyone had any experience with RawVoice?

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2011, 12:50:13 PM »
Never head of them, but if you give it a try let me know how it works out for you

I have a question.
Is anyone familiar with RawVoice?
I received an offer from them and I'm trying to figure out if its worth looking at or if its just a scam.
They are saying they will publish and promote my podcast for 30 days as a trial, and pay us $17.50 per 1000 downloads.
Currently we come close to 1000 downloads a day without their promotions.

So has anyone had any experience with RawVoice?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:33 AM »
Domain registration question. 

I've had my old domain name since the late 1990s.  Back then you had network solutions and not much else.  My renewal is due in a month and the price seems ridiculous, it was like $49.00/year (I'm only speaking of the domain reg, not hosting).

Any suggestions for transferring to a cheaper competitor?  Godaddy appears to cost a fraction, but want to make an informed choice.

Thinking of getting back into the blogging gig, and know there are folks much more hip on modern options here.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
-Sean

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »
Domain registration question. 

I've had my old domain name since the late 1990s.  Back then you had network solutions and not much else.  My renewal is due in a month and the price seems ridiculous, it was like $49.00/year (I'm only speaking of the domain reg, not hosting).

Any suggestions for transferring to a cheaper competitor?  Godaddy appears to cost a fraction, but want to make an informed choice.

Thinking of getting back into the blogging gig, and know there are folks much more hip on modern options here.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
-Sean

i've moved from netsol to godaddy/register.com. both are good and offer extra stuff if you want. for more commercial domains  i've used nettica.com.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »
Cool.  Filled all the stuff out and saved a bunch per year.  Looks like it might take a few days for the switch to take place. 

Per godaddy this is the step I'm at:

"   
Step 3: Accept/Decline
The transfer is waiting for the customer to accept it at the losing registrar. If the customer does not accept the transfer at the losing registrar within 5 days, the transfer will be accepted automatically.
Recommended Action:
The customer should accept the transfer.
"

Think I'm done.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2011, 10:28:06 AM »
Cool.  Filled all the stuff out and saved a bunch per year.  Looks like it might take a few days for the switch to take place. 

Per godaddy this is the step I'm at:

"   
Step 3: Accept/Decline
The transfer is waiting for the customer to accept it at the losing registrar. If the customer does not accept the transfer at the losing registrar within 5 days, the transfer will be accepted automatically.
Recommended Action:
The customer should accept the transfer.
"

Think I'm done.

check your netsol account, you may have to approve the xfer there.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #170 on: August 30, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
check your netsol account, you may have to approve the xfer there.

I checked and couldn't find anything for me to do there.  Godaddy.com mentions:

"NOTE: For most domain name extensions, a transfer between registrars takes five to seven days from the time you authorize it. The process and time required for transfer completion can vary for certain extensions, such as country-code top-level domain names (ccTLDs). For more information, see About ccTLDs (Country-Code Domain Names), and then click the Help article for your extension."

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
Ok... so I have a website and a Blog reel going... now I want to add a plugin that will allow people to listen to the podcast from the main page like Jack does... I am using Wordpress to do this... I can not figure it out!

http://www.saveourskills.com/setup-podcast

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
I have a few questions...

One, how do I check out how many people have subscribed to me on iTunes?  I can see on my awstats report that I have "hits" on the iTunes feed but that does not particularly mean that they have subscribed.

Two, what the heck is a Googlebot? or Spider? Here is a picture of this information.  I do not know how to read this or know where to begin to understand it.

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
a googlebot is a piece of software that google uses to crawl web pages and collect information for the google database/search engine.
a spider is a similar type of program, run by other companies, collecting into from web pages. and itunes it seems

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2011, 07:01:09 AM »
It might be too late for you, however anyone new that reads this should consider "burining" their feed using feedburner. Then if you can track accurate statistics about your subscribers and also if you ever move your website you can easily update the source URL without disrupting your subscriers

http://www.feedburner.com

I have a few questions...

One, how do I check out how many people have subscribed to me on iTunes?  I can see on my awstats report that I have "hits" on the iTunes feed but that does not particularly mean that they have subscribed.

Two, what the heck is a Googlebot? or Spider? Here is a picture of this information.  I do not know how to read this or know where to begin to understand it.

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2011, 12:09:09 PM »
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently upgraded my browser from IE 7 to IE 9. Also updated Java and Flash. Generally everything is good but on a few sites the graphics aren't right. The main site I want to be able to use is the National Weather Service radar loop. The static image site works but the loop does not.
Here is the link to the site
 http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=mlb&product=NCR&overlay=11111111&loop=no
When I click on the link for the loop I get a very short page with only the thumbnails for regional images.
Changing to Compatability View in IE gets me a big white box where the radar should be, with a red X in the corner.
I have tinkered with the settings but nothing helps. I have found a few other sites where graphics show a similar box.

Any ideas ??

Thanks!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I recently upgraded my browser from IE 7 to IE 9. Also updated Java and Flash. Generally everything is good but on a few sites the graphics aren't right. The main site I want to be able to use is the National Weather Service radar loop. The static image site works but the loop does not.
When I click on the link for the loop I get a very short page with only the thumbnails for regional images.
Changing to Compatability View in IE gets me a big white box where the radar should be, with a red X in the corner.
I have tinkered with the settings but nothing helps. I have found a few other sites where graphics show a similar box.

Sounds like the IE upgrade did not upgrade some plugins.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
Here is the snarky tech guy answer (sorry, I'm obligated to do this)

Please download google chrome or firefox and discontinue use of IE

Chrome = fastest (best option for most people)
Firefox = most configurable

Sincerely

Computer Nerds of American Against Use of Crappy browsers

Any ideas ??

Thanks!

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
Sounds like the IE upgrade did not upgrade some plugins.

Speaking of the weather... I think weather underground's map service is far superior to the one you linked to... you might be interested to check it out

http://www.wunderground.com/

example

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=40.47164917&lon=-79.98975372&zoom=8&pin=Pittsburgh%2c%20PA&type=hyb&rad=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

It has a ton of various overlay data sets

Click "animate" in the right hand toolbar

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Im back!  So I have another question.  I am looking for a good program that will allow me to record my desktop screen.  Any suggestions?   I have had a comment asking how to subscribe to my RSS feed. 

Also, is there anyway to find how many subscribers I have?  I downloaded the google feedburner thing and it ended up screwing up my RSS feed.