Author Topic: Dry-Pack Canning in glass jars  (Read 23864 times)

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
Vacuum Sealing Mason Jars
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 06:15:52 AM »
Has any one here used the Jar attachment on a vacuum sealer to seal Mason Jars? This seems like it might be a good way to store smaller portions of dry goods. If anybody has done it, have you used the Foodsaver brand attachment?

idahobob

Re: Vacuum Sealing Mason Jars
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »
Has any one here used the Jar attachment on a vacuum sealer to seal Mason Jars? This seems like it might be a good way to store smaller portions of dry goods. If anybody has done it, have you used the Foodsaver brand attachment?

Yup,

We re-package all of our dry goods including the fruit that we have dehydrated in Ball jars.

The attachments that we have are from Foodsaver and are several years old and still work very well.

In fact, I have a 50# bag of Turbinado sugar that needs to be re-packaged today.

Bob
III

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 07:07:11 AM »
I've used the foodsaver attachment to seal both wide mouth and regular jars.

It works extremely well. I found a jar after 4 years and the seal was still intact and the contents in good shape.
(Brown sugar that was still soft with no foul odors)

Offline Red Dog

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:15 AM »
Good to hear. I'm going to order one today. Got a lot of stuff to repackage. I also want to see if I can find any "recipes" for soup mixes to seal into jars like this. If anybody has one I'd love to hear it.

Offline LGM30

• Senior Survivalist
  • The cold war didn't just end. It was won.
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2009, 02:28:22 PM »
I the jar attachment more than I use the sealer for regular bags.  It should be standard equipment.

Offline anthonyalston

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
I use the food saver vacuum sealer for small and wide mouth mason jars.

I use them to seal small amounts of dry goods.

I also use it to repackage my oxygen absorbers into smaller lots say 5 in a small jelly jar.  So I get a package of 100 absorbers. I know that I will not use them all at once, and I don't want them exposed over and over again. So I divide them into smaller lots and put them into the smallest mason jars I can find. Then when I need to use the oxygen absorbers, I only open one jar and the others stay sealed in other jars. And really it does not take that many jars.

The less air exposure for O2 absorbers the better, and this is how I handle it.

I have also purchased dehydrated vegetable chips and used the vacuum sealer attachment to seal those. They lasted much longer and were still fresh and crispy when I opened the jar two weeks later. I want to test to see how it works with crackers.

Have an awesome day!

Regards, Anthony

calamityjane

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »
Good to hear. I'm going to order one today. Got a lot of stuff to repackage. I also want to see if I can find any "recipes" for soup mixes to seal into jars like this. If anybody has one I'd love to hear it.

These folks have zillions of recipes, but sell their books for about $5:

Home of the Original Mixes sized for Jars

http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/

Recipe Collections: http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/catalog.htm

Spices and Soups: http://www.realfood4realpeople.com/soup.htm

much more there~

One more site: http://cookbookcupboard.com/bookstore/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 08:18:53 PM by calamityjane »

Offline YoYoDog

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »

Angie

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
If you don't have a FoodSaver or similar machine, you really need to budget to get one.  If I had only known how terrific it was I would have purchased one years ago.

Yes indeed.  I sealed an old pickle jar, use the lid that came with it, and it sealed.  I had to get my husband to open it.  It popped loudly! 

YouTube has several video on it.  Search for Wendy Dewitt -- Food Storage Seminar, Part 1 of 9.   She has a really good one on sealing jars.  Its episode 8.

Yes it works, even with regular jars.

Offline Shadowrider

• Survivor
Re: Dry-Pack Canning in glass jars
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »
Good ideas in this thread. Thanks to all.

I agree with Angie. I wouldn't be without my Foodsaver. (Thanks, Angie, for the Wendy Dewitt videos. I'm off to download those.)

I would like to contribute this YouTube link for more ways to use our Foodsavers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKglOqP5xA

calamityjane

Re: Dry-Pack Canning in glass jars
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
Good ideas in this thread. Thanks to all.

I agree with Angie. I wouldn't be without my Foodsaver. (Thanks, Angie, for the Wendy Dewitt videos. I'm off to download those.)

I would like to contribute this YouTube link for more ways to use our Foodsavers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSKglOqP5xA

Hi Shadow!

That was an OUTSTANDING vid!!!!  I highly recommend it to all vac-sealer types on the board!   I just picked up my jar sealers the other day and have been dry packing for the last few days.  Ran out of jars, and went back for more.  I had never thought of using the Food Saver cannisters to aid in sealing regular jars.  That is an absolutely fantanstic idea!  Also the idea of peanut jars for coffee (or crystals, I couldn't tell), well my oh my, that was another head slapper!

Excellent post, and a +1! 

:)