Author Topic: Holly Shiznit a "Snow Hurricane"  (Read 23765 times)

Offline OC Celtic Lass

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Freedom is precious......do something to keep it!
Re: Holly Shiznit a "Snow Hurricane"
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 10:36:09 PM »
What you are seeing this year is the natural result of a solar minimum just as we saw the natural results of a solar maximum in the late 90s. 

That is very true of the effects of solar minimum and we are going to rock and roll with the upcoming solar maximum. I like to listen to physicists. And here is a physicist in this news clip telling about it and the upcoming events.

Nasa Warns Of Super Solar Storm 2012

Coyote

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 03:36:06 AM »
Hold on to your britches...here it comes.  Snowing already in western NY.  Not real heavy but wet as temps are hanging just above freezing.  Roads were getting slick when I left the house at 4 am.  Weather folks are predicting worst storm since '78 which is saying something as the one in '99 paralyzed the city.  Local grocery store was mobbed last night when I drove by.  Guessing the last night shoppers will clean the selves off by early today. 

Feeling prepped and ready to go.  Figuring on losing power with the wet snow, high winds and temps hovering around freezing.  This may be the first test of our small PV system.  Check the batteries this morning and found them fully charged. Only thing left on my 'to do' list is swap out the water in the storage containers...nothing wrong with what's in there now, just like to have as fresh as possible.  Spare gas for the genny and topped off the Jeep this morning.  Should have plenty in case I have to start the genny for the well pump to refill.  It's a good feeling knowing that we're ready to weather the storm due to all our efforts to get and stay prepped.  Hope we don't need them but ready if we do.   God's speed to all those in the path of this storm.  Stay well my friends.

Offline cartpusher

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Survival Gear Bags
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »
Just a tiny dusting in Buffalo so far...

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
At the rate that humans breed, we will exceed the carrying capacity of the land and die off from disease and starvation long before global warming could ever harm us.
Not quite so much. Africa is about the only continent where people are above "replacement rate," and you have to think the standard of 2.1 children per female is probably a bit low given health care, infant mortality, etc. Even in Africa, though, the fertility rate has nosed down some over the past 5 years as opposed to the 5 years before.

Europe, Canada, China, Japan, Russia (especially Russia), Australia... they're all dying off. Russia, for example, is on track to be a third of its 1990 population by 2100.

Overpopulation is the least of our worries. Though exactly which countries are so fertile really ought to concern us most...

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »
We've got about 5 inches now at our hilltop home in central NY state.  It's 33 degrees, though, and there is very little wind right now.  Time to shovel the first layer!

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 06:27:01 PM »
Well, this was not much to yell about, in my own little corner of the world. Of course, I'm at the confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers, where the valleys often cause a break in the weather. Nothing but rain today. There are 2 bridges over the Mohawk, a couple of miles apart, one for US  Rt 9 and one for I-87. Right at both of those, there are very significant ice jams, due to the January thaw/freeze cycle.

The real big issue will be the thaw in March. I'm about a mile from the Mohawk, as was my brother's house, about 3-4 miles up the river [he's since moved]. The difference is, he was only a few feet above the river level and I'm about 300 feet above it. It's not easy to see the elevation of his property, because it's so far away from the river. About 1 out of every 3 springs, the road to his house would flood over. So, 30 years ago, he and his family were ready, every March, with bags packed, to "bug out" at a moment's notice. Well, their bug out was just to the Best Western. BUT, three times, the river invaded his house; thankfully only in the basement. But the worst came within a foot of the first floor, and a foot from the basketball hoop in the driveway. Pretty scary stuff.

With the amount of precipitation we've just had, and are continuing to have, there will be a lot of moisture in the snow pack in the mountains along either side of the valley. Bottom line is I can almost guarantee some flooding this year, up the Mohawk River a ways, including the real low lying areas of Schenectady, and especially, the very localized problem where my brother's old house is. I know there's probably many out there who are close to places like the mighty Mississippi, and this is kind of common knowledge for them, but this is for the rest of us.

So, make sure, when you consider a property, to fully investigate any potential for flooding. There are times when, for example, along the Mississippi, you are really in tune with the situation. But, here was one, where a nice patch of land, out of the way, but not that far from the suburbs, looked like a good deal, but ended up proving to be a nightmare. Of course, AFTER the worst flood, in 1986, there just happened to be some folks around who knew that there was a flood about 100 years ago, and there was a high water mark on a tree not far from his land. Go figure. That could be why there no other houses, except for one way at the end of the road, UP a little hillside.

Make sure, also, that any bug out route isn't through a lowland without an alternative. You have no way of knowing how deep that water is; you simply cannot keep on driving through water.

Coyote

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 03:46:56 AM »
Well, the temps stayed low enough the the 'wet' snow they predicted is light enough to blow around.  Heard winds were gusting to ~40 MPH.  Regardless, the snow is falling faster and blowing around more than the plows can keep up with.  Most all of the schools are closed.  Made it to work despite all the snow on the roads.  The snow was so high on the roads in my area that it was hitting the plow on the front of my Jeep which I had up as high as it would go without blocking the lights.  Made for an interesting ride in between the blowing snow and that which was coming over the front end. I've drive through a lot of blizzards in my time.  Gotta say, this isn't the worst I've ever driven in but is sure makes the top 3. Can't imagine anyone...anyone with much sense that is...venturing out this morning without a 4 wheel drive vehicle. 

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 06:08:32 AM »
Hello All from Coastal Northeast Massachusetts.  Looks like a hurricane went thru here last night.  Word is that there were wind gusts up to 125 mph along the coast.  Trees down, power out, all kinds of stuff blown into the streets.  I'm at work and we are running on generators.  Lots of schools around here are closed due.

I live in Central MA and we got less wind so not much damage.  Lights were flickering last night but never went out.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 07:44:23 AM »
Report from Western Mass (on the mountain top):

First round dumped a total of 30" here. This was wet and heavy stuff...took the husband over 5 hours to snow blow the car out.
Then we got a bit of rain and more snow (couple of inches) that made the road pretty nasty.
Last night, we had winds of about 50-70 mph and about 4 inches of more snow, a bit of rain and some ice.
This morning it's very windy (25-30mph) and we've had about 2 more inches of snow and it's still coming down heavy.
Very wet stuff.  The weather is saying we may get up to a foot more by tomorrow when it all winds down.

My chicken yard is 6' high and it is over half full of snow...no yard for the chickens this week! lol

Offline ExZ

• Survivor
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 08:02:45 AM »
That is very true of the effects of solar minimum and we are going to rock and roll with the upcoming solar maximum. I like to listen to physicists. And here is a physicist in this news clip telling about it and the upcoming events.

No no, Let me correct you. Michio Kaku is THE physicist! :P

I can listen to that man talk for hours and hours without getting tired of him.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2010, 08:26:59 AM »
We measured 23 inches in our yard on a hilltop in central NY state.  It's windy now, and the sun is trying to come out.  It's a morning of plowing and shoveling!  We lost power for a very short period during the night--not long enough for the generator to kick in.  I'm not sure if we will be trying to make an appointment this afternoon that's about an hour away.  We'll see how it goes.  All area schools are closed for the second consecutive day; that doesn't occur very often. 

Offline Q_Dog

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 06:32:12 AM »
Just a report from Allentown, PA. It's Saturday morning. The storm is long gone and what a disappointment! Barely any snow (about 8")! The wind was strong but not 60 mph strong!!! I was hoping for a day off from work yesterday. That didn't happen. It's flurrying now but I don't expect we'll get a lot.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2010, 08:00:44 AM »
It's stopped snowing (I hope, hope, hope!).  It looks like we will end up with 50" total. I'll get the "official" figures later.  I can't believe how much freakin' snow is out there! :o

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2010, 08:28:52 AM »
While the weather here in the NE has been brutal this month, we are very prepared for such events.  Many have vehicals that are made for snow.  We have shovels and snow blowers.  We have plows and salt.

Typically we will see a few inches to a foot of snow and within hours the main roads are pasable.  Stores rarely close. 

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »
By the way, Did Jack really say SHIZNIT?!?!  I don't know why but I have been laughing about that for an hour now.  SHIZNIT.  That's funny.  ;D

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »
By the way, Did Jack really say SHIZNIT?!?!  I don't know why but I have been laughing about that for an hour now.  SHIZNIT.  That's funny.  ;D

What can I say in spite of or perhas due to my hatred of rap music I absolutely loved "Malibu's Most Wanted", my son had to guilt me into watching it and now it is one of our standby discs at the BOL.  Fricken hysterical!  If you don't like rap and rap culture and have never watched this movie, watch it.  Trust me if you have anything other then a purist Brit sense of humor you will laugh your ass off.  ;D

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Oh and Dickie Roberts was the other movie that made shiznit part of my vocabulary.  ;)

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:35 AM »
Jack, If you could throw a properly placed "SHIZNIT" in a podcast sometime next week. . . you would make my day!!  ;D

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
Assclown of the day didn't fly very far; maybe SHIZNIT of the day would.  ???

Hardly any snow up till this week; now, we'll easily hit our 64" seasonal average.  >:( [Hence the word "average"-duh.

@Herbal- I'm less than an hour from you, and glad I don't have to shovel that much! Was it cold enough up there to at least keep it dry and "fluffy"?

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
Anyone that has lived around the the Northeast has heard of Nor'easters. Storms like this paralyzing blizzard have happened before and will happen again. Climate Change is real and constant. Man-Made Climate Change is bullshit. If Al Gore worshippers want to impress me they should prove that climate isn't changing. Proof of Man-Made Climate Stagnation would be very impressive. They should stop stealing credit from Mother Nature and actually do some legitimate work.

The Evil CO2 Exhaler

PS I like the solar storm video. That's another thing man can't stop.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2010, 06:57:03 PM »
Wasn't that bad up here near Ottawa, Canada; maybe we're just used to it.

They closed the schools for a day or two but I was driving around no problem the whole time.

It's been warm enough the last few days that it's all melting though we did get quite a bit of snow.  It was pretty windy at times to but nothing to get worked up over around here.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 07:17:35 PM »
Oh and Dickie Roberts was the other movie that made shiznit part of my vocabulary.  ;)

Oh, so you're the one person who say that movie!   >:(

;D

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 02:59:29 PM »
No snow is allowed between Boston and PA on Thursday nights... that's when I'm heading home!!   I must have missed the jam up on I84 by minutes.   

I did get held up for about an hour in the Fishkill NY area, Felt good knowing I had shelter, food and fire in my trunk!  My wife laughed at me, claiming I'd be camped out along the interstate, fire going, coffee brewing... charging $2 a cup!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
Jack, If you could throw a properly placed "SHIZNIT" in a podcast sometime next week. . . you would make my day!!  ;D

It happened today.  No one can say I don't listen to my audience,

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
Here's shot of what I mentioned earlier on; the January thaw broke up the ice and started it downstream, where it is now jammed under the I-87 bridge and along the shoreline. The sheet was about 10 inches thick; these slabs are down to 7-8". The river is about 2-3 feet below these chunks.

So far so good, but any day the melt should start really raising the river level. It's going to be real interesting.

Offline Matt_MG

• Prepper
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:18 AM »
Here's shot of what I mentioned earlier on; the January thaw broke up the ice and started it downstream, where it is now jammed under the I-87 bridge and along the shoreline. The sheet was about 10 inches thick; these slabs are down to 7-8". The river is about 2-3 feet below these chunks.

So far so good, but any day the melt should start really raising the river level. It's going to be real interesting.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab183/dudekrtr/firstbatch121.jpg?t=1268107329

It looks like home for me  :P In this province there a big floating backhoe with 4 arms we call the spider. Picture a normal cat backhoe with 4 arms and a huge steel floater under it...

I hope you can clear it out with some dynamite because the thing that sucks more than a flood is a winter flood...
I also hope your house isn't in a flood plain...

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »
It looks like home for me  :P In this province there a big floating backhoe with 4 arms we call the spider. Picture a normal cat backhoe with 4 arms and a huge steel floater under it...

I hope you can clear it out with some dynamite because the thing that sucks more than a flood is a winter flood...
I also hope your house isn't in a flood plain...

I remember the blizzard of 88 (may be it was 87 ???) when the idiots in Philly pushed a bunch of snow in the river and caused just that.   ;D

Offline Don in Cleveland

• Prepper
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
I remember a monster ice storm in '87 living in Oklahoma.  We were driving from OKC to my grandmother's house in Houston for Christmas.  Normally it's about 6-8 hours depending on traffic.  It took us 8 1/2 hours just to get to Dallas.  We ended up staying overnight at my uncle's place there.  Next morning another crappy-icey start, but about 20 miles south of Dallas there was absolutely nothing - clear roads and smooth sailing.  Texas weather is so weird.