Author Topic: Survival Quarterly Magazine  (Read 58264 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Survival Quarterly Magazine
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 10:00:44 PM »
Well, I wasn't going to subscribe (paper is so 20th Century ;) ), but somebody ;D gave me a copy of Issue 1.  It's good!  The production looks very professional, the photos are nice and clear, the articles are way more interesting than I was expecting -- good work!  Yes, some of the editing was a little rough.  Big deal.

As for the cover -- the magazine isn't being sold on newsstands, so the cover is just for the enjoyment of subscribers, and I'm guessing most of the subscribers for Issue #1 know the Hoods.  I don't know them (yet), but I still like the nice photo of the typical all-American couple with a lot of weapons and a van that eats Toyotas for lunch. :D

Offline pugbellies

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 11:04:29 PM »
Ha Sister W, I gotcha beat!  I work for the federal government and deal with the public on a daily basis, so I am pretty much used to hearing at least once a day that my work is not appreciated!

I asked someone to pay attention the other day after they almost ran over my canine partner and I while we were working.  They said they hoped I got skin cancer and died.  Talk about negative feedback.

Oh well, I always say, what doesn't kill us only festers as a ball of hate and bile in our stomachs.  Sorry, thats the other thing I say.

What I always say is we gotta have thick skin and a sunny disposition to get through this world.  Thats it.

KP

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
Good Lord.  Yeah, that's a little rough.  :(

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
I haven't subscribed. I wasn't going to, I gave up on magazines awhile back when all the ones that had interesting articles disappeared and only fluff and pretty pirctures were left. Don't get me wrong I love pretty pictures but I can find them for free online. This thread has totally changed my mind. It's going to have interesting articles by real people who do what they're writing about. Doesn't get much better than that so no matter how the discussion got started it created a convert.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
    • Safecastle's Preparedness Buyers Club
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
Well, I for one was blown away by the quality "feel" of issue 1.

In one of my professional lives, I've been mixing it up in the news and communication business, writing and editing, producing, overseeing and consulting on various print and online publications for 25 years.

There is no doubt that SQ will morph into something even greater over the next several issues. There is so much to learn and explore and express in the magazine business ... and to be doing this in the survival field where so much has been unsaid and unpublished for so long ... well, as long as the money, passion, and willingness to sacrifice is there by everyone involved, this baby is going to make a big impact.

Some may notice that I have the back-page ad for issue 1 (and for issue 2 at least). I am fully on board with this effort by the Hoods. Not because I expect payback for my dollars invested, but because I think a top-quality print vehicle is something important for American preparedness. For the last several years, I have watched and participated in the blossoming of preparedness in this country as evidenced by the explosive growth of crisis preparedness-related business.

In a nutshell, the still relatively small segment of the population who are aboard the survival train are rapidly having to make room for more and more of their neighbors. There is simply no end in sight to the exponentiality of this interest group, so all the more important is the emergence of Survival Quarterly at this time.

Go get 'em Ron and Karen!

Offline pugbellies

• Prepper
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2010, 11:24:39 PM »
Agreed, the discussion took a humorous side-route about the cover (loved it or hated it), but the point is that the magazine is great, and has immense potential, particularly when there is such a dirth of periodicals on this subject.

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
  • Not all who wander are lost.
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 10:52:23 AM »
I'm sold. I'll be heading to the website and signing up for a subscription. I thought the cover was AWESOME!! (Maybe I was a crow in a past life...that could explain why I'm easily distracted by shiny things.) ;D

Offline technomagus

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2010, 09:11:26 PM »
I love the idea of another Survival related magazine. I used to subscribe to ASG. I was glad Backwoods Home picked up the subscriber base after ASG turned into a cruddy version of Mother Earth News, then folded. I have been a subscriber to Backwoods Home ever since.  They have a stable of good authors that continue to crank out excellent articles every month.
But, I still would like to see something with a "survivor-style" bent.
I just wonder how long SQ will continue to have consistent quality content without paying the authors? Is it just a vanity press? You get what you pay for. TANSTAAFL.
I can get plenty of free content on-line in forums as it is.  I don't expect it to be perfect, because I'm not paying for it.
Polished, quality stuff is harder to find, takes effort, talent and skill, and is worth paying for.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
Have you seen the magazine yet?

#1 - the magazine is brand new.

#2 - the authors so far have been awesome (I've seen both issues since I work on the zine), so I'm not sure what you're complaining about, unless we're playing a "what if" game.

#3 - The magazine IS polished and all the work in it IS quality.  So the magazine itself is worth paying for.  So... What's the problem again?

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2010, 09:22:16 PM »
I got mine in the mail yesterday! It is INDEED a nice magazine. One ad that immediately caught my eye was for the upcoming 'Rabbitstick 23' in September in Rexburg, Idaho. Has anyone you know been to that one Sister Wolf?

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 01:39:22 PM »
The first issue was really great.  Way better than I was expecting, and I was expecting a lot.   I cannot wait till the next issue.

A big thanks to Ron and Karen.

And thank you to SisWolf for all the work you have put into it.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
I got mine in the mail yesterday! It is INDEED a nice magazine. One ad that immediately caught my eye was for the upcoming 'Rabbitstick 23' in September in Rexburg, Idaho. Has anyone you know been to that one Sister Wolf?

I know LOTS of people who go to Rabbitstick.  It's a Primitive Skills meetup, and there are so many things to learn there, that if you CAN make it, you SHOULD make it.  :-)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
The first issue was really great.  Way better than I was expecting, and I was expecting a lot.   I cannot wait till the next issue.

A big thanks to Ron and Karen.

And thank you to SisWolf for all the work you have put into it.

Thanks Doc.  Ron & Karen put in so much work to this zine.  And the authors?  Wow.  And the artwork?  Awesome.  And the advertisers?  Top Notch.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
Can you still get issue 1?  Think if I am going to start something, I want to have the first issue too..

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2010, 05:42:16 PM »
Can you still get issue 1?  Think if I am going to start something, I want to have the first issue too..

Yes I believe so.  :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2010, 06:07:48 PM »

I bought a subscription on May 13th, and they started it with Issue #1.

[shameless plug]
Another way to get Issue #1 is to win our Best Post of the Week contest.
[/shameless plug]

The way it's looking at the moment, you could nominate one of your own posts, be the only nominee, and win by default! :D

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
Got issue #2 in the mail yesterday! Woo-Hoo! And like an idiot I left it at home. *sigh* Nothing to read during lunch today.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
I just subscribed and got issue #1 in the mail last week.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
Subscribed today while catching up with some past shows and listening to Ron’s interview. Ordered a back issue #1 while I was at it.

I cant wait to read them.

Offline pugbellies

• Prepper
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »
Just got issue # 2 and haven't had a chance to read it yet.  Really like the cover with (Rons?) son, its a fun photo.  Much better than the gun-toting first issue cover that started this thread...  ;D

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 07:54:41 AM »
I should get issue 2 anyday now.

I have all of Ron and Karen's videos in the series. One componet of their stuff is consistant. Its their serious but light hearted approach to things. Humor is everywhere! If you are not willing to laugh, don't waste your money!

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2010, 06:44:07 PM »
Howdy, Ron and Karen Hood!

If the magazine is as informative and as entertaining as Jack's interviewing of Ron, I'll love to see the magazine in my hands sometime!  I've also seen Ron Hood's work in the pages of The Backwoodsman and Wilderness Way so I know he knows his stuff!

Onely one thing:  First ZombieAxe and today ColdHaven have absolutely sold me on the iPhone and all of the fantastic Survivalist-related goodies it has to offer in such a neat, tough package.  I am now dying to make the iPhone my next major purchase.  

So my big question now is:

Will there be an app for SQ sometime?

:)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:47:32 PM by SnugInMyPod »

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2010, 07:32:55 PM »
SisterWolf,

I heard from ColdHaven today about your new pursuit with Ron Hood's SQ 'zine.

(I am also tickled pink that there is someone else out there who still uses the term "'zine."  Brings back fond, not-too distant memories.)

Congratulations on your new gig and the great cover design! 

The logo, lettering, color, and placement with the photo are all super!

Folks, honestly critique if you must, but try to go easy on SisWolf. 

After all, she might sic some of her friends and professional colleagues on you  ;D  ;) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CVtWfYOdbg

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
SisterWolf,

I heard from ColdHaven today about your new pursuit with Ron Hood's SQ 'zine.

(I am also tickled pink that there is someone else out there who still uses the term "'zine."  Brings back fond, not-too distant memories.)

Congratulations on your new gig and the great cover design! 

The logo, lettering, color, and placement with the photo are all super!

Folks, honestly critique if you must, but try to go easy on SisWolf. 

You're so sweet, Snug!  I'm the new Associate Editor, as well as the graphic designer, as of about 2 weeks ago or so.  I'm excited.  :)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
...I'm the new Associate Editor...

!!!!!!!

Well done, kid. :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
Well done, kid. :)

Thanks, hon.  :)  I'm honored that Ron & Karen decided to give me the job & title.  Before this issue, I haven't done any of the editing or proofing - just the cover and a bunch of ads (I had 8 or 9 ads in issue 2, plus the cover).  Not sure how many ads (if any) I'll have in the upcoming issue.  I THINK I'm still doing the covers as well, but not positive.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
Has issue #2 come out yet?

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Yes! SQ 2 is out!

And Yes, Sis, I believe you are still doing the covers. Now I have to go do my part...

Muddyboots

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »
Yes! SQ 2 is out!

And Yes, Sis, I believe you are still doing the covers. Now I have to go do my part...

Muddyboots
Cool. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
I received my second issue like two weeks ago, or so.

It's the shelter issue. ;)