Author Topic: Survival Quarterly Magazine  (Read 58265 times)

Offline footpad

• Survivor
Re: Survival Quarterly Magazine
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 01:13:15 AM »
just got issue 1 a couple of days ago. first great mag. good info and well produced. i dig the cover.

ive been in the design industry in some shape form or fashion for i guess about 10 years now and have always ask critics for honesty and scowl at them when i get it. -what the hell do they know! lol.

it is in our best interest to consider the opinions of critics (no matter how harsh) but not compromise our own ideas. if we allow their opinions steer the cart, we would only be a tool for their vision and not designers ourselves.

- keep up the good work. im looking forward to getting #2.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »
I talked to Karen through email and she is sending me another #2 issue. Hopefully the usps wont loose this one again. >:(

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
Caveat: I have neither seen, nor read, said magazine.  I am addressing the original post about the cover content:

I didn't wade through ALL of the postings about the cover, but let me relate a discussion I had with the publisher of one of the best survival magazines of all time : American Survival Guide.

I was a contributor to said magazine and got to know the editor, Jim Benson, through that connection.  When ASG was purchased by a group that was a little different than the people who previously owned them, covers began popping up that were completely different.

After one cover really blew my mind (Fly-Fishing for Survival is what I called it), I finally gave Mr. Benson a call to ask WTF?

I was basically told that the new owners didn't want the "threatening" look of guns on the covers.

IIRC, ASG didn't last a year after that.

Remember that the cover of a magazine is, for the most part, it's only marketing tool.  More people will see that magazine on the shelf at their favorite bookstore than will read about it through another magazine, find it on the coffee table at a friend's house, or hear about it on TV or the radio.

Guns sell magazines.  It's a simple as that.  While you will find that a few people will whine and complain about the look, the truth is that a gun draws attention.  Now, some people will take some level of offense at the fact  that there's a gun on the cover of their book and now they're afraid to be seen reading the magazine in their favorite coffee shop, lest someone think they're "one of those."

First of all, my suggestion to them is : Get over it.  If you're worried about what people think, no one can help you there.   Don't read your scary "gun book" around a bunch of low-testosterone males and overly-testosteroned females.  Maybe then they won't whisper behind your back and call you names like "survivalist" or "militia."

Second, let them put whatever they want on the cover.  If people don't like it, they will then have to adapt to the marketplace and change the cover to something more appealing.

But, as I suspect will happen, if they sell more magazines because there's a scary gun on the cover. . .then they'll make more money because advertisers will want to reach the larger number of people.  Making money means they can stay around and continue to provide a magazine that services us all.  More money means they can pay to expand and print more articles and pay for more color pages, attracting even more customers who are willing to part with their money.

If you want a calm, pacifist cover on your magazines, there's already several out there.  Why compete with them for a marketshare?  I, for one, seldom read Mother Earth News or Self-Reliant Living unless there's an article in them particularly suited for my tastes.

But a gun will draw my attention each and every time.

The Professor

One Postscript though: Ron. . .please, no pictures of you leaning with your back against a tree and "thinking."  That might be too scary.  Many of us old ASG'ers already know about how much you like to poop in the woods and take pictures of it.

And yes, I am dating myself.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 04:26:11 PM »
LOL!  Thank you, professor.  Well spoken.  ;)

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
  • Not all who wander are lost.
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »
As gruesome as this sounds--I was really impressed with the picture of the stitched-up thumb from issue #1. Not many magazines would have the guts to show a picture like that. And yes...it did make me think about being more careful when handling my various bladed objects! I'm just bummed that it's a quarterly magazine and not monthly. ;D

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
As gruesome as this sounds--I was really impressed with the picture of the stitched-up thumb from issue #1. ...

Yes, and the short article that went with it.  That really nailed the attitude of the magazine: it's not for Rambo wannabees, it's for normal human beings who make mistakes and bleed when cut.

I wouldn't have subscribed otherwise.

Offline pugbellies

• Prepper
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2010, 08:03:14 PM »
And so it comes full circle...

I don't think that having guns on the cover is a bad thing... and neither am I'm afraid to openly read a magazine bearing guns on the cover while I'm having my upside down skinny frappacino at the local coffee beanery, or while I'm wearing my birkenstock slip-ons to the Oprah's book club circle we have... nay Sir... I answer the age old question of "Do real men eat quiche?" with the even bolder "Yes, real men eat whatever the f*%# they want!"

My point still stands. You are starting a business. You already have a captured interest audience... you've sold them on the content.  Do you want to expand your business?  Do you want to reach out to new customers and influence new people? The cover art is the least of the magazine... its the content that will satisfied you core audience, and impress new comers.  I never suggested that guns and cammo should never grace the cover, just suggested that other aspects of the greater world of survivalism/prepping be tried as well. There are a myriad of photos that could also be used as cover work (I think the shot of Ron's kid and his shelter was friggin fantastic)... how about people in their victory gardens, their pantries (I've seen some shots of incredibly organized pantry systems)... go for the macho... people building a sustainable bunker complete with arrow slits (I'm joking).

I still stand by my criticism/suggestion that not every cover need be uber macho-gunisimos.  I was pleasantly surprised by the second cover. I think the proposition of seeing "Guns, guns guns!!!" every issue would have been ho-hum at best.  Thus my suggestion.  Whatever, I feel I proferred the suggestion in a polite and helpful manner, so there is that.

To be clear. I love the second ammendment. Its our insurance policy for all our other rights. I love guns.  I strap one on my hip every day I go into work.  But, I'll still make sure to stop by the doctor's office next week and make sure he checks my testosterone levels.  : )

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 02:57:25 PM »
And the link to subscribe is ???????

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »

Onely one thing:  First ZombieAxe and today ColdHaven have absolutely sold me on the iPhone and all of the fantastic Survivalist-related goodies it has to offer in such a neat, tough package.  I am now dying to make the iPhone my next major purchase.  

So my big question now is:

Will there be an app for SQ sometime?

And an electronic version of the zine for the iPad ??

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
Has anyone received issue #3 yet? I saw it for sale at Rabbitstick when I got to meet Ron. I raced home and checked my mailbox but sadly...it was not there. *sigh*

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2010, 05:19:12 PM »
Has anyone received issue #3 yet? I saw it for sale at Rabbitstick when I got to meet Ron. I raced home and checked my mailbox but sadly...it was not there. *sigh*

Got my copies last week, I guess it helps when your wife is the Associate Editor ;D

TW

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »
Ninja, you should have it in the next week or so.  I think Ron & Karen said they went out on Monday.

Did you have fun at the 'Stick?

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
Rabbitstick was beyond awesome.

Sunday--Dogbane Cordage with Norm Kidder. Awesome 'jute-like' rope I made in his class.

I did a full day class on Monday-- 'Goat Kill and Animal Processing' with Cameron Green and Myron Cretney. We quickly and humanely killed a goat, skinned it, gutted it and quartered it. One of the gals in the class made two knives from the horns.

Tuesday--Abo Tech 101 with Steve Watts. Talk about a cool class. Steve was great. And then Friction Fire with Jeff Damm. Another wicked-cool class.

Wednesday--Traps & Snares with Tom Cartwright and then Surival From Cast-Off with Louis Anderson.

Thursday--Making Fire Correctly with Cody Lundin (very cool guy!) and then Sheath Making with Joe 'Aboman' Bigley.

Friday--Stone Knife Making with Terry Kramer and then All About Cattails with Tom Cook.

I had to keep a journal each night just to remember what I had done that day. I was bummed that the week went by so quickly. I would have loved to have taken all the classes that were offered. And of course I got to meet Ron Hood and BS with him. That was very cool. ;D

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
People should be getting SQ #3 this week+- I'm usually one of the last to get a copy (and I write for Ron :P ) and I got mine. It's an excellent issue with great articles from good people across the community. Real life kept me from contributing this go round, sorry!

Muddyboots

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:49 PM »
Ninja - VERY cool that you did a class with Aboman!  I'm JEALOUS that you got to hang with Ron, and that you took a class with Cody too.  <sigh>  Very, very jealous.

But what's up with the lack of a class from George Michaud?  Not interested in mocassins, or was he not there this go 'round?

Gah.  I wish to hell I'd been there.  *kicks a rock*

Offline ninjaclerk

• Prepper
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
George was there--my Dad took a class from him...I can't think of which one right now though...

I would love to make some hard-soled mocs next year and tan a buckskin, and take the blacksmithing classes, and take flintknapping classes, and make a cattail had and make a capote and make a felted hat and, and, and, and...  ;D

There were sooooo many things to choose from your brain just goes into shutdown mode. The logistics of planning what classes to take was the hardest part.

I'm definitely going next year! Maybe you and your hubby can make it and I'll get a chance to meet you both.

Offline ironfourlife

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 06:01:14 AM »
Ok I'm hooked, ordering now
I loved the old mag back in it's hay day
sounds like this is the next generation.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
I've only had a chance to page through my copy of #3.

The layout, and the general impression that the magazine gives, has now advanced from "Hey, that's good!" to "Totally professional".

I wonder who's responsible for that? ;)

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 11:32:25 PM »
 :( Still hasnt come.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »
same here NC....but it will get here one way or the other

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2010, 05:20:23 PM »
Finally got mine  ::)

I think it's that new AssociateWhateverHERTitleIs's fault.... :P

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »
I think it's that new AssociateWhateverHERTitleIs's fault.... :P

LOL!

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »
 :happydance:
Woot it came today.........

Offline anewday

• Prepper
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
I almost got this today, until I saw that an autographed version cost $3.00 more. 
Don't ask what it is that bugs me about that cuz I don't know, it just does. :-\

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
I almost got this today, until I saw that an autographed version cost $3.00 more.  
Don't ask what it is that bugs me about that cuz I don't know, it just does. :-\

Perhaps it "bugs you" that when we sell autographed copies, we donate that extra $3.00 plus a dollar from our magazine sales ($4.00 total from every autographed mag we sell) to the Wounded Warrior Project.  *shrugs*  I've never seen it bug anybody that we have found a way to donate money to that project AND sell mags, but... Maybe you're one of those people.

Offline anewday

• Prepper
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2010, 11:54:58 AM »
Well I didn't know that. That's obviously a very nice thing to do, and of course I understand now.

Nice way to inform me though, don't ya think?!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »
Well I didn't know that. That's obviously a very nice thing to do, and of course I understand now.

Nice way to inform me though, don't ya think?!

If you'd clicked the "more details" link right below the photo of the magazine, you'd have seen it right there in huge bold letters.

Offline anewday

• Prepper
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2010, 11:59:49 AM »
Yes sir re, I'm glad I didn't order!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
Yes sir re, I'm glad I didn't order!

Considering that you seem to make up your mind about things before exploring them (even perfunctorily), I'm not at all surprised by this.