Photobucket

Author Topic: Yogurt -- Make your own  (Read 7812 times)

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
Re: Yogurt -- Make your own
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »
I also have just started to make my own yogurt. One tip I found on line for thicker yogurt was to heat your milk for about an hour at 180 degrees and then cool it in an ice bath or your fridge down to about 110 degrees. Then the yogurt is put into pint jars and into a 100 degree oven for 6-8 hours longer for a more tart flavor. This has worked great for me, I want my yogurt to be low calorie so I use fat free organic milk and have used organic Greek yogurt as my starter. The calorie content of each pint jar is then 150 calories. I do not mix the whey into the yogurt because I want it thick so I just pour off the whey and great thick yogurt just as thick as the yoplait thick and creamy remains. I store and use my own powdered milk and would like to know if I could make up a batch the low fat way to use. Also I am looking for a good starter to use that is organic and storeable.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2010, 02:26:34 PM »
Kelli... I am sure you can use the powdered milk for this. You don't even have to heat it to the 180 degrees in that case, becauseyou aren't trying to kill anything (lol). As for a storable starter, I bought a powdered culture online, and keep it in the freezer, hoping to extend its life, but it has a limit... not sure how long it will stay viable, even under freezer conditions...

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 07:38:17 AM »
Today I made homemade yogurt out of raw milk.

1 gallon of milk to 4 T of starter (I used plain Dannon yogurt)

I sterilized the jars and lids.

Warmed the milk to body temperature.

Mixed in the starter.

Poured it in the jars and put on the lids.

And put them in my dehydrator set on 100 degrees for the next 8 hours.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2011, 08:23:55 AM »
Great pics, SM! Thanks for sharing that with us. I merged with another homemade yogurt topic...

LC

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2011, 05:01:07 PM »
Great pics, SM! Thanks for sharing that with us. I merged with another homemade yogurt topic...

LC

Thanks for the merge lvs.

Update; Oh my gosh I can not believe how amazing this yogurt is. I am glad for the merge because I was wondering how long I could count on this lasting. I will keep track but hope the 4+ weeks is close.

Has anyone used their homemade yogurt to freeze?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
I haven't, but it seems to me that I have seen recipes for using yogurt in ice cream freezers... maybe in a Donvier recipe book or something similar?

I'll bet there are recipes online for frozen yogurt...

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're still waiting but we're READY!
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »
Dang it Sweethearts Mom and LvsChant - I wish you'd stop putting ideas in my head. I keep thinking I might just lie on the couch and watch soap operas while eating bonbons! As if!

<Mumbling about friends who motivate and inspire as I open another tab to look for homemade frozen yogurt recipes>

Oh and +1 SM - I love that you post pictures for your projects.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

America will never be destroyed from outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
Dang it Sweethearts Mom and LvsChant - I wish you'd stop putting ideas in my head. I keep thinking I might just lie on the couch and watch soap operas while eating bonbons! As if!

<Mumbling about friends who motivate and inspire as I open another tab to look for homemade frozen yogurt recipes>

Oh and +1 SM - I love that you post pictures for your projects.

Your welcome twoblues. You can always eat bon bons while you are working on projects! I am telling you though...this one is worth it.

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »
Made my 1st batch of yogurt last week.  I used a plain Hollands Dairy yogurt for my starter.  Had my 5 yr old daughter helping me along.
Cultured it for 12 hrs in my Nesco dehydrator, which I used cardbourd to build up the walls and just stuck the heater on top.  It got it way too hot, so I stuck it half way on, and vented the cardboard.

Yogurt came out tasting like a cross between sour cream and yogurt.  Not bad, but not totally great, would be ok for adding to other meals.

I read on a few sites that that sour cream taste could be from the 12 hrs I cultured it, so I just did my 2nd batch, and am planning on stopping it much sooner.  I also added some (real) vanilla, and a little sugar to try to make it closer to what I'm used to buying.  Daughter ate some of my first batch, but no one else in the family would touch it.  ;D 

I did a search for yogurt recipes and I found one site which had this story about how when immigrants came to America, those who brought yogurt starters, would find that the immigration service would toss the yogurt.  One woman soaked some cloth in yogurt to get the culture into the fabric, dried it and packed it in with clothes.  When her baggages where checked, they just saw clean clothes and sent her on her way.  Once settled in America, she then soaked the cloth back into warm milk to extract the cultures.  With rotation someone could try this for a survival kit.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.~George S. Patton

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2011, 04:17:01 PM »
Good job trying this out, Josh. I never leave my yogurt going that long, as I don't like it as tart. I think usually I let it go maybe 6 hrs...

Cool idea on the yogurt culture soaked into cloth.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:45 AM »
Custard-style yogurt (h/t Hillbilly Housewife)

1 package flavored gelatin mix (the four serving size)
    1 cup tap water
    3 cups yogurt (homemade is fine)
    1/3 cup sugar (optional)
    up to 1 cup chopped fruit (optional)

Oh is this stuff good! First heat up the tap water. When it boils, remove it from the heat. Add the gelatin to it and stir it with a fork for several minutes, to completely dissolve the gelatin. The gelatin will only dissolve if you stir it long enough. When the gelatin is dissolved, stir in the yogurt. If you like it very sweet you can stir in the extra sugar too. I don't like to add the sugar, but the kids like it pretty well with the extra sugar. If you like you can also stir in some chopped fruit. I like to add leftover canned fruit, cut into small bits, or sometimes bananas or frozen strawberries. The fruit should be cut up small, or it is difficult to chew. When everything is well stirred up, pour the yogurt into individual cups or small resealable containers. Place them n the fridge to chill. These are great in the lunch box, and also as a healthy snack. If you have homemade yogurt which didn't set up as well as you like, it can be used to good advantage in this recipe. Red flavors of gelatin seem to be the most popular at my house, but I think lemon and peach are also pretty good. Green is interesting, and appeals to kids who like to pretend they are eating slime.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2011, 04:24:49 PM »
Made my 1st batch of yogurt last week.  I used a plain Hollands Dairy yogurt for my starter.  Had my 5 yr old daughter helping me along.

Daughter ate some of my first batch, but no one else in the family would touch it.  ;D 

+1 from Mama for teaching your daughter about making (and eating) your own food!  That's awesome!

I just purchased some freeze dried yogurt starter so I always have some on hand.  Not sure what you use LvsChant but I found this HERE
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my GOAT already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown

If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed GOATS." Abraham  Lincoln

DEV being nice... sorta goes along with GOATS howling, babies bursting into tears, birds suddenly becoming silent, and an ominous greenish lighting spreading across the landscape...

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
TBM... That looks like a great source for culture. I originally bought a packet of culture from Amazon (where I bought my yogurt maker) and it was way more expensive. I'll have to try that out. Did it have an expiration date on the box? Doesn't say on the site how long it will keep...

For my normal yogurt making, I just use a fresh culture from yogurt from the store...

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
TBM... That looks like a great source for culture. I originally bought a packet of culture from Amazon (where I bought my yogurt maker) and it was way more expensive. I'll have to try that out. Did it have an expiration date on the box? Doesn't say on the site how long it will keep...

For my normal yogurt making, I just use a fresh culture from yogurt from the store...

Purchased about 2 mos ago and the box says July of 2012 - so I guess about two to two and one half years. Yeah I usually use fresh from the store but I wanted to try something in case fresh was unavailable to see if it would work and how it tasted.  I eat a lot of yogurt and really hate it when I'm out and out of starter too.  I'm going to email Hoegger and see if the freeze dried can be frozen and thus kept longer or if that will kill all the good bacteria.  I'll try to remember to come back and post here later.   ::) - I'm getting really forgetful as of late. Too much going on.

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »
+1 from Mama for teaching your daughter about making (and eating) your own food!  That's awesome!

I just purchased some freeze dried yogurt starter so I always have some on hand.  Not sure what you use LvsChant but I found this HERE
What starter did you order? what do you use to make your yogurt
thanks

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »

Offline Fyrediver

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »
I too have made my own yogurt using my dehydrator and it works very well.  However, another "no power" system I developed was to use a cooler as a hot water bath incubator.  I came up with this method when I was in college taking microbiology classes. 

I prepared the recipe du jour and then filled seal-able plastic bowls.  I then placed the sealed Tupperware type bowls into a cooler filled with hot water out of the tap (hot but very short of boiling --- you don't want to kill the culture).  Weigh them down so they're submersed in the hot water bath.  Seal the cooler and a few hours later you'll have yummy yogurt.

Using this method you can make yogurt with only enough heat to boil the milk and heat the water. 

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
My current favorite way of making yogurt is in my crockpot and ice chest. Before my new favorite way (which is many years old now), I used my cast iron dutch oven, hot water and however many quart jars my dutch oven held (which I think was 5-6).

I only make plain and add other stuff later. I usually use it for cooking, 'ranch dressing', and smoothies as I need to hide the yogurt in stuff as I don't like it.

Recently I have also started to dehydrate yogurt for candy.

When I made yogurt from my goat's milk, I had to add a little gelatin in with it to make it more solid. I don't have an issue with goats milk. I have not had enough sheep milk at once to try it for yogurt.

I have used various cultures. My favorite one when I use packaged culture, is Bulgarian. Otherwise I have been using a good quality organic whole yogurt and just mothering it.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline littletea

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 02:20:12 AM »
I prepared the recipe du jour and then filled seal-able plastic bowls.  I then placed the sealed Tupperware type bowls into a cooler filled with hot water out of the tap (hot but very short of boiling --- you don't want to kill the culture).  Weigh them down so they're submersed in the hot water bath.  Seal the cooler and a few hours later you'll have yummy yogurt.

Using this method you can make yogurt with only enough heat to boil the milk and heat the water.

To make sure I understand this cooler method.  You heated the milk to about 180 degrees and let the temperature come back down to about 110 before adding the cultures and then placed it in the cooler?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »
Since there's been some discussion about making yogurt in another thread, I figured I'd bump this one.

I've made yogurt a couple times.  I heat the milk to 185F, cool it to 110F, add in a couple Tbsp of store bought plain yogurt.  When incorporated, this goes into 2 1-quart jars.  Put these in a cooler for about 7 hours.  I use a probe thermometer to keep track of the temp, I try to keep it between 100-110F.  If it drops, I put in a quart jar of almost boiling water.

Strain it through cheesecloth to the thickness you like.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 10:00:45 PM »
I use my dehydrator

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 11:13:30 AM »
My kids like the thick-type yogurt; I find that my homemade is generally a little thinner than their preference when made just with milk.

So... I have modified the recipe a bit and had some good results.

For a Greek-style consistency: Add 3/8-1/2 cup powdered milk to 1 quart of milk when heating. This is amazing... no draining of whey needed - it comes out thick and delicious.

To combine with jello for smooth kid-friendly flavoring, I use about 1/2 package of flavored gelatin (4 serving size) to about 3 cups of yogurt (the thick kind from above) as follows: First I add about 1/2 cup boiling water to the gelatin mix... stir until completely dissolved. Let cool to about 110 (or so... just hot enough not to kill the live culture). Mix into 3 cups prepared yogurt, whisking well. chill until set.

The kids love it...

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
My kids like the thick-type yogurt; I find that my homemade is generally a little thinner than their preference when made just with milk.

So... I have modified the recipe a bit and had some good results.

For a Greek-style consistency: Add 3/8-1/2 cup powdered milk to 1 quart of milk when heating. This is amazing... no draining of whey needed - it comes out thick and delicious.

To combine with jello for smooth kid-friendly flavoring, I use about 1/2 package of flavored gelatin (4 serving size) to about 3 cups of yogurt (the thick kind from above) as follows: First I add about 1/2 cup boiling water to the gelatin mix... stir until completely dissolved. Let cool to about 110 (or so... just hot enough not to kill the live culture). Mix into 3 cups prepared yogurt, whisking well. chill until set.

The kids love it...

Thanks Lvs for the powdered milk addition idea. I find I end up losing almost half my yogurt cuz I like it thick too but you can always save the whey and use it to make bread (replace any milk or water with it) lots of vitamins and no waste.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
I was just thinking about how much less expensive it is to make your own yogurt than buying ready-made. One gallon of milk yields 4 quarts of yogurt. Around here, regular yogurt (not organic) costs about $2.29/quart. Regular milk (at Aldi) is running around $2.99/gallon. Even adding a bit to the cost from using powdered milk stores (which need to be rotated anyway) and 1/2 package of jello (I buy it on sale for $.29/pkg at Walgreens), the cost is still much less than buying it... less than $1.00 per quart.

Offline Stinkie Archer

• Not in a good mood, watch out! Might explode if shaken!
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
I was just thinking about how much less expensive it is to make your own yogurt than buying ready-made. One gallon of milk yields 4 quarts of yogurt. Around here, regular yogurt (not organic) costs about $2.29/quart. Regular milk (at Aldi) is running around $2.99/gallon. Even adding a bit to the cost from using powdered milk stores (which need to be rotated anyway) and 1/2 package of jello (I buy it on sale for $.29/pkg at Walgreens), the cost is still much less than buying it... less than $1.00 per quart.
exactly. makes me feel better making it myself and saving a bit of $. and it tastes better, i know what is in it.

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »
Absolutely the best way to go is to make your own. We all know that prepackaged anything costs more and has more preservatives then making your own.  We've traded convenience for real food which I think began in the 1960's with TV dinners! Those should be outlawed.  ;)

Offline Desmond

• New TSP Forum member
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
I like yogurt and daily take it, it is very good for my health and fitness. It prevent me from a number of diseases such as digestion problems, stomach acidity etc. I prepare yogurt myself at home.
This home made yogurt is more tasty and pure.