Author Topic: Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags  (Read 485609 times)

Offline ptaylor138

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »
Hello all, I thought I would share my start to my BOB still need to add clothing food and sleeping bag and maybe a tent see how heavy the pack gets.  I weighed the pack with the contents in picture and I was at 21 LBS with no water and empty mags, so gonna get all the stuff i have on my list and then dwindle away what I can to hopefully make it as light as possibly but have everything I need and want..  Critique away!!!!!

Offline MilSpecIA

• Senior Survivalist
  • "Two to the chest, one to the head"
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2012, 01:02:33 PM »
Hello all, I thought I would share my start to my BOB still need to add clothing food and sleeping bag and maybe a tent see how heavy the pack gets.  I weighed the pack with the contents in picture and I was at 21 LBS with no water and empty mags, so gonna get all the stuff i have on my list and then dwindle away what I can to hopefully make it as light as possibly but have everything I need and want..  Critique away!!!!!

Well knowing nothing of your situation (i.e. are you single and this BOB is for you, are you married and carrying for two, etc) here's what I see;

1. Ditch the knee and elbow pads. I had my set after the army too, and given the space they take up in a SHTF situation your not going to be doing IMT rushes so the space is best used elsewhere.
2. I see a water filter but three containers which is a bit of overkill. Remember the BOB is for 24-48 hours, not longer. I'd say put the collapsable jug and water containers in something for longer term and get a good aluminum or steel canteen.
3. I see a compass but no map of your area.
4. Chem lights...why? One use and their done. Plus you can't turn them off once the reaction has started. Put them in your GHB in your vehicle and get a good headlamp with some spare batteries in your BOB.
5. Clothing...you said you'd add it later and that will take up some of your space.
6. I assume there's flint stick or matches in there (can't tell).
7. Optics. Looks good for hunting but not for close up situations. Initially in a SHTF event things will start off really close. People will be fleeing cities, driving, walking and they will be the biggest danger. Put the hunting optics in a case for later when you get to your bug out location and need to start hunting/foraging. Get yourself a nice red-dot or quick reflex optic for close and medium ranges.
8. Your pistol...one mag??? Get at least three more.
9. Food. Get three MREs or something in there.

The BOB is one of those things that continually needs to be evaluated based on your situation and capabilities. I think I go thru mine every few months or so.

Good start

Offline Exile72

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »
Wow there are alot of great ideas being shared here.Makes me want to rethink my B.O.B. i have . Got to get out of the Army mind set of feild liveing....thanks

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »
These are my 2 packs!

My Eberlestock Gunslinger II pack with a Marlin 336, 109 rounds of 30-30 ammo, Walther P22 and 3 10 round mags, 500 rounds of CCI Mini Mag .22 hollow point. Red Wing logger boots, anti bacterial socks, OD pants, shirt, sweatshirt and jacket.

Top Of my pack

US army survival manual, notebook, local and national maps, bushnell backtrack GPS, compass, 8oz. of nadura scotch, two black gel pens, one pencil, one brown sharpie, pack of cards, three flashlights, one pocket knife, charger adapters.

top of my Med. PAck

Amoxaciilin, Pain Killers, stitch kit, scalpel and other surgery tools, assorted tools, alcohol wipes antibiotic wipes etc., cpr mask, heavy bleeding kit, burn kit, small cuts kit

Top of my food pack

18 pemican bars (3 days or more of food), 2 one quart nalgene bottles

These are in the outside pocket of my pack, e-tool and gerber axe with saw in handle

The inside of my main bag

The inside of my water filtration, and hygiene kit

MSR water filtration pump, coffee filters, gatorade mix, UV steri-pen, Shaving cream, chapstick, bar of soap, shampoo, dish soap, listerine, toothpaste, tooth brushes, q-tips, razor, styptic pen, brillo pads, 2 msr pack towels

Top of my tools pack

two 100' sections of 550 paracord, otis tactical gun cleaning kit, leatherman, assorted trash bags count 20, pencil sharpener, knife sharpener, rain poncho, duck tape, electrical tape, assorted zip strips, sewing kit, safety pins, cooking and eating utensils

Fire light and communication bag

Midland radio with mic and assorted charging cables, matches, fire stick, lighters, tea lights, assorted lithium batteries, coleman dual fuel stove, 4 glow sticks, hand warmers

3 pairs of socks, hammock, 4 pairs of boxers, tarp

Winchester SX3 12ga, 65 rounds of 00 Buck shot, 50 rounds of birdshot, small military surplus pack (this one is my fiancés)

4 liters of water, $550 dollars in small bills, fire stick, 17 bars of pemican, 3 rolls of TP, shampoo, dish soap, bar of soap, 0 degree F sleeping bag.

I need to split the load more evenly.  My bag weighs almost 65lbs. I plan on buying my fiancé an Eberlstock X3 lodrag pack, and lightening the load a little. My back is closer to an INCH than a BOB and i'de like to change that. I know things like the Coleman stove should be the first to go, and I am open to ANY suggestions and or comments. In addition I plan on adding  a walther PK380 to MY bag and giving my fiancé the walther p22. I also need to add another sleeping bag, right now my fiancé is the only one with a warm place to sleep at night.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:56:51 AM by Roswell »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2012, 08:36:09 PM »
These are my 2 packs!

I see you are new here.. would you like help in posting pics?

Cedar

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »
That would be GREAT! Looks like I could use a lesson or two! Thanks!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »
[ img ] X [ /img ]

Where the "X" is above, insert the url of the picture you want to put. There is a Mona Lisa looking icon on the reply section where you type right above the happy face. You can just click that to get the [ img ][ /img ] to show up. But take ALL the spaces out.

Did that help?

Cedar

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
Thanks for the help! I think i've got the hang of it now! Please let me know what you think!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
These are my 2 packs!
Possible thoughts having seen ptaylor's bag.  Swap one of your Nagalene bottles for a different color.  While not important,.. but if you have a dual color system, say blue and red - you have a color coded system.  Red for chemical treating water, blue for GTG (good to go) water.  On a hike or E&E, we might not have time to set up the stove or camp fire to boil water... knowing that you have a bottle to chem treat your water in it could be helpful.

Paracord - Cordage is extremely important..  but the storage manner is also as such.  There is a Paracord thread you may wish to check.  There is the quick deploy 'fob' and the doughnut.  They are neat, tight and compact methods of storage.  The 'fob' is excellent for 6-25' of cord and all it takes is a pull to deploy it.

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
That a great suggestion about the water bottles, however rather than purchasing new colored bottles i may just stick some duck tape on the outside of one to identify which ones are being treated or are safe to drink. Thanks again! I defiantly understand needing to get to the paracord quickly but it's sort of a flaw with the whole bag. Getting to anything inside of it takes a little time. Like i said i think my main focus will be cutting down the bag to a true 72Hr bag and keeping hope that in a true INCH situation i can use a vehicle to transport a much larger amount of equipment. Thanks for the tips idelphic!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
Have you packed with this pack any distance yet? Give it a go for a 4 miler.

(Just because it is annoying me, I have to comment on your upside down pic LOL)

You might have a topo map of your area or areas your BOL is too.. I picked mine up for 10 cents each from a second hand store.

They make decks of playing cards with wild edibles on them. There are 2 sets i have seen. One is eastern and one is western plants. There are also smaller cards too.. MINI ones. Weight.. weight .. weight.. it so counts. Try to make EVERY object in your pack dual (or better) purpose. Again, weight.. weight.. weight...

Have you ever sutured anything before? Cutting edge needle there is you have? Make sure you don't have a taper needle when you really want a cutting edge for skin stuff. What size suture material is... 3-0 will do you better than 5-0 generally. ? Swedged needle you can only use once or with an eye and at worst case scenario use horse tail hair? Absorbable or something like Braunamid?

I hope Pemmican tastes great.

Do you need Listerine? Take the razor out of its package. I sometimes leave the cardboard packages on for fire material, but that is plastic and what good will it do you? You might recognize it as weight, but it is. Will the plastic razors do you better for weight? Does one really have to shave in a SHTF situation? Why 2 toothbrushes or is this for more than one person?

Why a pencil sharpener? I am a chick and even *I* use my pocketknife hehe

Your trash bags can double for a rain poncho too.

Seal-a-meal or ziplock baggie your matches and lighters?

Is your pack waterproof? I put all my gear in ziplocks, but then they all go inside 2 heavy duty black plastic bags, for added protection,. Same with my sleeping bags.

I like your pack.
Cedar

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2012, 01:39:30 PM »
I live in the flatlands here in Delaware but i have walked as far as 2 miles with this pack. I was doing this walk about twice a week before my fiancé came home from work before me one day and caught me outside with the full pack on. Now i’m limited to walking around my brother in laws farm 20 miles away or going up and down the stairs in my townhouse. In short it sucks. This thing is way to heavy for extended use.

Sorry about the upside down picture. I don’t know how i screwed that one up!

I’ve been trying to track down a foldable topographic map. In all honesty the elevation only changes about 20ft AT most in my part of the state. I think the highest elevation is about 400 or so feet and that’s right next to the MD,PA border up north. places i would avoid at all cost in the SHTF scenario!

I love the idea of the playing cards with wild edibles! I just wanted to stuff something “fun” in there. The Army survival manual has a small wild edibles section with color pictures.

I’ve given myself stitches before. I have EMT training and am not a fan of needles but am ready to use them. Needle is a cutting 3/8 circle. Not sure of the suture material size. The kit is just a one time deal. Defiantly a synthetic suture no fancy absorbable deals here.

I’ve eaten lots of this Bear Valley stuff before. For three days i will eat ANYTHING. But honestly these taste great! They have over 400 calories in each bar so 3 a day is more than enough to make it!

A huge amount of the stuff in this pack is comfort rather than actual need. They really do suit the needs of an INCH bag rather than a BOB. I can loose most of the hygiene equipment and even the cooking and cleaning because i won’t need it in a 72Hr. situation. I have 2 toothbrushes because my fiancé and i would be traveling together. I like clean teeth! J/K! Like i said more of an INCH thing than a 72Hr. thing.

Sharpening a pencil with a knife sucks! Maybe a good solution is a china marker or something like that. I figured it was small and saves me from spending 10 minutes trying to sharpen a pencil. Although sharpening a pencil with a knife may be a form of entertainment like whittling!!

Ive got some 35 gallon trash bags and 13 gallon trash bags. No clue what i’ll use them for but oh well.

Everything that can be damaged by water has a plastic waterproof bag. I didn’t put them in the picture because i figured it would be a little redundant. But yes matches, batteries etc. all in waterproof bags.

The pack itself is not waterproof but i do have a waterproof cover for it. The integrated scabbard is not covered by the wrap but i also have the bags as you pointed out, the poncho and the tarp.

Thanks for all the questions and ideas!! It’s nice to get some feedback! I will be re-doing my bag in the next week so that it is more in line with it’s true purpose BOB! I’ll post pictures again soon! Thanks again!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »
I was doing this walk about twice a week before my fiancé came home from work before me one day and caught me outside with the full pack on.

And this is a problem why? One of my friends gets into shape for hunting season each year by putting a 5 gallon bucket full of water on an eternal frame to go hiking with. I think that would look weirder. Do you just not want her to know you are prepping? Maybe you can get her to go hiking with you too.. as if there is a SHTF scenario you really don't want to pack her AND the gear do you? Ask her to get into hiking for overnight camping trips maybe this summer. Tell her it is romantic.

I’ve been trying to track down a foldable topographic map. In all honesty the elevation only changes about 20ft AT most in my part of the state. I think the highest elevation is about 400 or so feet and that’s right next to the MD,PA border up north. places i would avoid at all cost in the SHTF scenario!

Topo maps are great for many things. I use them to locate water sources, Which route I DON'T want to go for elevation change and the ones I have, also have OLD roads on them. Generally the roads are still there. I go to http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm click the MYTOPO tab and then zero in on the area/s I want, print. I have spliced together sections as required and laminated them. On some of them you can find all sorta of 'goodies', if you know what to look for.

I love the idea of the playing cards with wild edibles! I just wanted to stuff something “fun” in there.

You might even find out how to play variations of "Go" or "9 Man Morris". Both can be played with pebbles. http://www.pandanet.co.jp/English/learning_go/learning_go_2.html I prefer "9 Man Morris" myself.

I have 2 toothbrushes because my fiancé and i would be traveling together. I like clean teeth! J/K!

I do too and when I was on a search mission for 9 days once without a toothbrush, I always had one on my SAR pack after that. I hacksawed off half the handle however.

Ive got some 35 gallon trash bags and 13 gallon trash bags. No clue what i’ll use them for but oh well.

Emergency water collection.
Emergency poncho
Solar Still
Emergency covers to keep your feet and legs dry (walking though contaminated water?)
Emergency Tent
Emergency toilet/sanitation

and then after I decided to do a search, I found this http://www.lomita.com/cert/pdf/50%20WAYS%20TO%20USE%20PLASTIC%20TRASH%20BAGS.pdf

Cedar

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:12:30 PM by Cedar »

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23:22 PM »
My fiancé is ok with she and I prepping in our own home but sharing that with our neighbors in our residential community is not high on her priority list. It just makes people ask a lot of questions when i would go walking with a huge OD pack on my back. We aren't looking to hide it, but we aren't looking to advertise it either. She is becoming a prepper too, i'm not hiding anything from her.

Offline Zeroth

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2012, 06:07:00 AM »
Can you^ post the pic for us :P some of us don't do the facebooking.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2012, 09:19:23 AM »
Can you^ post the pic for us :P some of us don't do the facebooking.

Yeah.. I HATE FB.

Cedar

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=389428914406189&set=a.389422324406848.117597.100000172523458&type=3&theater
 My bob for my RRA LAR 15.
error:
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.    :P

Offline Zeroth

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2012, 12:06:00 AM »
 This is a stupid question, how do u post pics??? I'm new at this!!!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »

[ img ] X [ /img ]

Where the "X" is above, insert the url of the picture you want to put. There is a Mona Lisa looking icon on the reply section where you type right above the happy face. You can just click that to get the [ img ][ /img ] to show up. But take ALL the spaces out.

You need to have the photo up somewhere, like PhotoBucket or somewhere, then copy the link for the pic and then so the above.

Did that help?

Cedar

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2012, 01:05:26 AM »
How to post a pic to the forum.

Offline CaptainDan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2012, 02:01:52 PM »
Here is my every day carry bag.
Kelty Redstart backpack
Yaesu VX-6R HT radio ( I am a Ham) all local channels programmed in { this radio has weather and local am radio SW etc...}
NIFOG field guide
S&W sigma .380 w/ extra clip
Paper Pens
Wallet with all IDs and insurance info etc..
Watch
Small took kit with screwdrivers, multitool duct tape, electrical tape, tip ties, light, wire connectors, radio adapters etc...
Spiderco Manix2
Thumb Drive with important documents
Cell Phone
iPad
iPod  with headphones
First Aid kit, bug spray , sun screen, TP
Hand Sanitizer
550 Paracord ( 50')
Paracord Bracelet ( 18')
Matches
Lighter
Candy
Water
Clif Bars

That's about it...

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:35 AM »
I dont see any rain gear there capt? May want to add a cheap poncho to stay dry.

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:47 AM »
I dont see any rain gear there capt? May want to add a cheap poncho to stay dry.
Maybe he lives in a desert like me...  (still a good idea, $1 cheap-o one would do)  8)

Offline savannah kay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2012, 10:47:03 AM »
Thank you to everyone who put up pictures of you BOBs. It's showing me where I am weak. You all have wonderful ideas. Thanks!

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »

I’ve eaten lots of this Bear Valley stuff before. For three days i will eat ANYTHING. But honestly these taste great! They have over 400 calories in each bar so 3 a day is more than enough to make it!

You think you're okay with that heavy ruck and 1200 calories a day for three days?  I might suggest that you at least triple that, if you expect to be moving.   Keep in mind that the military expects a footsoldier to expend 3400 - 4000 Calories a day.

Maybe a good solution is a china marker or something like that. I figured it was small and saves me from spending 10 minutes trying to sharpen a pencil. Although sharpening a pencil with a knife may be a form of entertainment like whittling!!

Or, a Mechanical Pencil, say 0.9mm size?

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
You think you're okay with that heavy ruck and 1200 calories a day for three days?  I might suggest that you at least triple that, if you expect to be moving.   Keep in mind that the military expects a footsoldier to expend 3400 - 4000 Calories a day.

I know when I was calculating up some of my last hikes with a 30 pound pack I was burning 2,613 those days with only a 500 foot elevation change in 4 hours. I guarentee you that in a SHTF situation I will be burning twice that. When I was doing SAR, I would come back in from a callout and eat half the food in the kitchen, no joke, and I could not gain more than weighing 119# then and I like to be about 132-138.

You might want to check out these calculators.
http://www.hikenewengland.com/LegendTimeCalc.html
http://www.hikingincolorado.org/hikecalc.html
http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-hiking.php this one has different weight packs too.

Cedar

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Post Pictures of Your man-purse
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
I do too and when I was on a search mission for 9 days once without a toothbrush, I always had one on my SAR pack after that. I hacksawed off half the handle however.

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP wet stuff collection.
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP poncho
Solar Still
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP covers to keep your feet and legs dry (walking though contaminated wet stuff?)
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP Tent
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP toilet/sanitation

Cedar Clean-Eyes

I hate to go off topic, and this post will make me look absolutely insane at midnight, but this is the funniest response I think I've ever read.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Re: Post Pictures of Your man-purse
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
I hate to go off topic, and this post will make me look absolutely insane at midnight, but this is the funniest response I think I've ever read.

Apparently I was cyber-drunk.  :-\

Cedar

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »
well I finally give into that little voice in my head, and put together a BOB,
or more of a GHB (Get Home Bag).

since I work 31 miles from my house and family and supplies, and my job occasionally takes me 60 miles from
the house, I put together a 72 hour kit, being military, of course I am using a lot of army stuff. and I will keep it in my truck.

I am sure I will add to it as things come into mind, I am considering a small saw to cut limbs for traps, shelter or fire wood.
and an alternate means of fire.

SHELTER STUFF

Light weight sleeping bag,
Gortex Bivy bag (a waterproof sleeping bag cover)
Poncho and 550 cord
sleeping mat

FOOD STUFF

About 5 MRE's or all the stuff I like in them, field stripped and vacuum sealed in mylar
spoons
water
water bottle with inside filter.

CLOTHING STUFF

3 Pair of socks in ziplock bag
insulate field jacket liner
winter pile cap

SECURITY STUFF

Walther PPS .40 S&W, with 107 rounds of ammo (the gun stays on my person) but I will have it.
Sog knife

NECESSARY STUFF

Gerber
Zipo lighter and lighter fluid in ziploc bags
550 cord
flashlight
toilet paper in ziploc bag