Author Topic: Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags  (Read 487757 times)

NumNums24

Re: Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:08 AM »
So Here is my setup, it is a work in progress.  First off my EDC which i consider an important addition to my BOB.

1) Smith and Wesson M&P 40 in a Galco King Tuk IWB holster
2) Leatherman Wave with extension
3) Buck 110 knife
4) Lighter
5) Headphones/Hands free device
6) Paracord Bracelet
7) Flash Drive with loads of useful stuff

Now to the BOB itself. I know it really orange but i got a great deal on the pack couldn't pass it up going to get a green raincover to tone it down a bit.

Heres whats in it:

1) Bible
2) Water Filter
3) Camelbak and Canteen
4) Cookset and Utensils
5) Couple Knives
6) Camp Axe w/ Saw
7) Sleeping Bag
8 Shirts
9) Sweatshirt
10) Cold weather base layer
11) Light beanie and heavy beanie
12) Socks and underwear
13) Personal First aid Kit
14) Fire starting kit (lighter, matches, tinder, fire steel)
15) Compass
16) Gorilla Tape
17) Glow sticks
18) Trash Bags
19) Paracord
20) Emergency Blankets
21) Deet
22) Toothbrush and toothpaste
23) Chapstick
24) Deodorant
25) Sunscreen
26) Couple Bandanas

Things I Still Need:
FOOD!
Backpacking tent
Sleeping mat
Flashlight
Rain cover and rain gear (live in WA)
Maybe some drybags
Pair of pants that stay in bag
Gloves

Offline UDI-Joshua

• Prepper
  • Urban Defense Institute
    • Urban Defense Institute
« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
Is a video ok?

Here is a quick video I did of my small scale BOB. This is the one I keep in my car in the event I get stuck down at work (I work about 53 miles from home) after some form of disaster. I plan to make it home.

The one thing I did forget to show in the video is about 25 feet of paracord, I have that in there as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygH0GQlUL0

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
(live in WA)

Yeah you will for sure want rain gear in their. Also a cheapo tarp like 5 bucks would be a great roof if its raining out. I know sitting in the rain when your trying to sleep isnt fun at all after a few hours. As for your cheap pack if you payed less then 40 bucks yeah it was a great deal or free :P otherwise alice packs at like fleetfarm or another army surplus store usally have them cheap and pretty decent condition. Bright orange might as well have a bullseye with it full. Food is only like a couple bucks for a 48-72 hour thing unless you go super fancy.

NumNums24

« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2012, 02:23:45 AM »
@loyalty4eva

Yea the bright orange bag is definitely something that needs to be fixed immediately, I considered Alice packs but I don't find them very comfortable. I got this pack for just under 50 bucks and I'm thinking about trying to paint it or something (don't know if it would be worth it) because I really like the fit, very comfortable for the pack size. I've also considered tarps but I don't really want one of the cheap ones because they are bulky, but then the ultralight ones are expensive enough that you might as well get a tent in my humble opinion. Took care of food today added some Wise dehydrated food packages.

Thanks for the input

Offline loyalty4eva

• Survivor
  • MSB
« Reply #154 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:22 PM »
@numnums

Just a Idea I just came up with I wonder if dyeing your bag is possable like what you would do with your clothes. Spray painting your bag might not work cracks and what not. Another idea is go to a shop that sells fabric maybe and get a color you like then if you know someone that sews or if you do maybe sew the fabric to the bag and cover the orange areas.

These are just thoughts that I would maybe try.

These are BoBs btw. I wouldnt say camo is the best option ethier.

NumNums24

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2012, 05:17:23 PM »
@loyalt4eva

Thanks for the ideas I didn't really think about dyeing it, everything would be the same color but if I did black it wouldn't really matter.  I like the size of the bags you posted. I feel like mine is a little big and could use some cutting down.

Offline Rôdeur

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
This is mine:

- Paracord
- Poncho raincoat
- Shemagh
- Cold weather gloves and hat
- Green wire (for traps...)
- Slingshot and mini fishing kit
- Big survival knife with sheath
- SAK with sheath
- WC paper and kleenex
- Mini Esbit stove with fuel and aluminium foil
- Repair stuff (duct tape, super glue, needles and string, sharpening stone...) and fire kit
- Space blanket
- Multi vitamin food complement
- Canteen (1L) and purification water kit
- Cooking pot with snacks, cafe, sugar, Knorr cubes, salt
- Bivybag

Here in the backpack, with direct access to first aid kit, whisttle, mini compass and mini led:

And easy access to the main knife, the poncho, canteen... Or WC paper  ;D

...Of curse, I also carry my EDC as a complement of my BOB in case of bug out. A few items that are not in my BOB (such as a lintern, a multitool...) are part of my EDC.

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #157 on: October 30, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
Heres whats in it:

1) Bible
[/quote]

I like your first pick.
Need to add one to mine as well.

Thanks

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #158 on: October 30, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
@loyalty4eva

Yea the bright orange bag is definitely something that needs to be fixed immediately, I considered Alice packs but I don't find them very comfortable. I got this pack for just under 50 bucks and I'm thinking about trying to paint it or something (don't know if it would be worth it) because I really like the fit, very comfortable for the pack size. I've also considered tarps but I don't really want one of the cheap ones because they are bulky, but then the ultralight ones are expensive enough that you might as well get a tent in my humble opinion. Took care of food today added some Wise dehydrated food packages.

Thanks for the input

If you have an old tent rainfly, that will work as covering as well as shelter.

Offline vtsurvival

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »
I am seeing a lot of effort to plan, make and prepare for what could come.  I am seeing very good ideas from you ladies and gentlemen. But what I would like to have seen in some of these posts is how you practice using some of what you have packed.  I am a SERE officer in the military and have extensive survival training.  What I can express the most to all of us, myself included is a part of you list should be a training schedule.  I noticed one post had a member with his gear using or at least out in the field ready.  Another thing I have noticed is when reading on bug out gear I see many members here and my students use commercial type equipment.  One thought on commercial equipment is that stuff is designed to be produced at the lowest cost and sold for way more than it is worth.  A suggestion I can make is military surplus was designed for rough use and easy repair on the go.  It last longer and you don't get that "I really paid that much for one use" feeling. 

So as this thread progresses lets all include a little more information.  How long are you intending this gear to last, how much practice and interaction with others for the same purpose do you involve yourself and what are your long term plan if returning home becomes not an option.  Also post EMP communication and food.

Thank you all and keep up the good work.

Offline Wildthang

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #160 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »
Heres whats in it:

1) Bible

I like your first pick.
Need to add one to mine as well.

Thanks

This is probably one of the most practical lightweight packs I have seen on here. It seems to have all the basics covered and does not weigh 70 pounds! All it needs is enough food for 3 days and it is pefect!

Good job man!

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
Ok, here goes my Modular BugOut Bag / Gear System
Please see this post for further clarification

Some Notes:
-   Easy to distinguish items are not numbered.
-   There are some items purposefully left out. Water, Sleeping bag, Food, Clothes. Too much chore to haul out.
-   Level 4 is in a pack but this does not mean it will be carried on foot too. It is more of an auxiliary one with all the niceties and refill gear.

Level 1 - EDC items

Level 2 – Survival Items (carried in a Funny Pack)

1. Dark Chocolate & Sesame Bar
2. Rescue Blanket + Pill Pack
3. Wet & Dry Wipes
4. Nylon line, zipties & Kevlar rope
5. AA Flashlight (custom light engine)
6. Zebralight Headlamp (mind turning item!)
7. DuctTape & Liquid Soap
8. Emergency Charger (to be retired)
9. Coffee Filter, Folding Funnel & Water Purification Tabs

Level 2A – Day Hike Gear. No.2A is added to no.2, all carried in a Versipack clone ATM.

Poncho with pegs and cord, trash bag, mora knife, bug repellant (photoshoped in)

Level 3 – BOB

1.   Tyvek groundsheet, 2 bags
2.   Milk jug (extra water container) holds various heavy, hard items. Batteries, Zip-ties, wire, etc.
3.   Emergency Bivvy
4.   Hygiene Pack. Towel, gloves, dishwashing soap, etc
5.   Glo-Toob marker
6.   Monocular (Nicula x7) an amazing item purchased for just a few dollars from overstock
7.   Tube, holds 2 lightsticks

1.   FAK
2.   Cup cover made from a can
3.   Coffee filters with a clear sheet homemade funnel (they need support when used, else they tore)
4.   Fuel tabs individually sealed

Level 4 – The Support Pack

1.   Powerbank (holds 4x18650 lithium batteries) + Connectors
2.   Small folding antenna with connector & radials (to be replaced with a better model)
3.   Small tools (the supplement the Laatherman)
4.   Radio AA battery pack (E91s inside)
5.   PVC tube with more chemlights, roll of marker tape bellow it
6.   Water purification tabs

1.   Tarp + shelter equipment
2.   18650 batteries
3.   Dereelight DBS flashlight, with custom light engine (my other specialty)
4.   Small window alarm with fishing line spool
5.   Wine Bladder
6.   Nitrile Chemical gloves
7.   (missing) FAK refill pack

So.. that’s it.

I hope you get the idea how items pile up making a progressively complete kit with little overlaping of items

I am open to any critique, Greekman
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:22:29 PM by GreekMan »

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Bivy Bag
« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
I see that you have an Adventure Medical Kit Emergency Bivy Bag. Just a thought for its use. It gets really cold here in winter, so I keep a -20 degree goose down sleeping bag in my kit. It's the best warmth for the weight and size (compressibility). However, in below freezing temperature it is better to put the bivy inside the bag, rather than the other way around. Your body will give off water vapor as you sleep and will freeze in the down, rendering it useless very quickly. By putting the Bivy Bag inside it will act as a vapor barrier, preventing this. You may feel "clammy" at first as the humidity in the bag goes up, but you will stop perspiring at a certain level (not as in heat exhaustion). This issue is more of a problem with down bags versus synthetic fills, however they to will also "ice up". In really cold weather, we put our feet in a plastic bag, then wool socks, then felt pack boots. Yes, your feet will sweat, but your insulation will stay dry and your feet will stay warm. Remember to adjust your gear to match the seasons, especially if your pack will store in a vehicle where it could freeze! 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Bivy Bag
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
wise advice...

But i have some catching up to do on the vapor barrier liners. A year ago I heard about them but what i got is that it works if you do it right. Since I have not given it any more thought/look it would be wise to have a (better) look at it again.

thanks....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 10:49:36 AM by GreekMan »

Offline pi_cube

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2013, 01:09:45 PM »
These are all great ideas.  Thanks for sharing.  I keep a deck of cards in my BOB.  It can help pass some time when there is time to kill.

Offline North WI Thriver

• Prepper
  • Walking to Freedom from WI: Destination TBA.
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2013, 08:39:54 AM »
These are all great ideas.  Thanks for sharing.  I keep a deck of cards in my BOB.  It can help pass some time when there is time to kill.

Since my bugout kit has to include stuff for 3 kids aged 3-10, time killers are a must.  Cards, and a good fantasy novel that can be read aloud like The Hobbit

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »
4.   Small window alarm with fishing line spool

Got to ask... whats with the "window alarm"?  using the magnet in it?

or are you using it for fishing?  ;D

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
Got to ask... whats with the "window alarm"?  using the magnet in it?

or are you using it for fishing?  ;D

Sort of a security measure/trap....tie the fishing line on the magnet, hold it in place with rubber band....Lien is pulled and the alrm goes off...
bad pic of the contraption
http://imageshack.us/a/img171/9193/0088kg.jpg

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
Greekman: I too like the "box-of-wine" mylar bladders. I would suggest a fabric carrying bag to support the weight; remember it was designed to be in a box when filled. This also helps with punctures if set on the ground. Also, that aluminized Mylar gives you a huge signalling device.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2013, 12:25:48 AM »
indeed.....I was thinking more line a liner made out of a tshirt etc.

What mistake I see in many BObs is that they lack means to really carry water. 2 water bottles hardly cut it when you have to carry water from miles away to your downed car. Especially when you have to use for boiling/filtering.

PS waht Is not seen is a can of ready made tea, (it rides in a big ziplock with BOb food) It is not only a comfort item, it is also a second water boiling container.

Offline thickice

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2013, 07:12:11 AM »
I have read all the posts, and complement you all for the photographs.  Obviously a lot of thought have went into these bags.  Different situations dictate different contents, so there isn't a standardized bag contents.  One thing I did notice, most of the bags and contents show little if any use.  Items still in factory packaging, knives that show no wear/use, packs that show no indication of ever being worn.  I would encourage you to actually go out on a "survival" week end, using only what is in your bags.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
well the BOB is such a beast, lives in the dark corners of the house and rarely shows its ugly face... ;D

Idealy one would have a duplicate set, BOB items and use items.
I personaly I exchange cost with effort. I exgahnge the "on call" tems with "work" before a campout. My gloves are an example. You don't want to see my work gloves, they are for the second mending of, and rather useless too.
Then some items are not to be used. My SOL bivy will barely make it through a night outdors, unless yuo sleep motionless liek a mummy. I took it out once at home, got into it,saw that is a tight fit and made an estimate of the temp comfort level.

On the other hand I will agree with the unpacked items. It shows less interest in proper organizing, and guys....don't yuo still feel like a kid that cannot wait for his cristmass gift?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:45 PM »
In our case, we have knock-around gear that we take camping/hiking/etc.  The equipment is run through a ringer when we go out.  If it works, then we buy additional items and keep those in our kits.  The only real exceptions to these are our knives.  They go with whatever we're carrying out the door.

The Professor

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #173 on: November 20, 2013, 02:28:44 AM »
     I see very few kits with "zip ties". I keep a bundle of the heaviest ones I could find. They can only be removed by cutting. Along with making or repairing things, they are an easy way to secure troublesome folks to immovable objects, enabling you to walk away without being followed.
     Great minds think alike. I too have discovered the window alarm. There is one on the market that has a "pull pin" to activate it. The other is two pieces, with a magnet switch. Camoed, wrapped with a rubber band to keep it together and tied to a tree with a trip wire, they make ok perimeter alarms. I would imagine they could be modded to activate a "flashbang" or flare.

Offline mech7.62

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »
These posts are great. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Fourtybelow_Zero

• Prepper
  • Fingers are going numb.. So cold.
« Reply #175 on: February 07, 2014, 09:22:09 PM »
Here we go...

All packed

Unpacked

Exploded

And heres the full list.. Firearms not listed or shown..

Tan Multipurpose zipper bag
o   100ft Coyote paracord
o   Kobalt mini crobar
o   Leatherman Wave
o   CRKT Eat’N’Tool XL
o   Smiths diamond knife sharpener
o   Gorrilla Duct tape
o   2x XL zip ties
o   Pocket wire saw
o   Collapsible cup
o   Clorox wipes To’Go

Dark Grey Multipurpose zipper bag
o   SOL 2 person thermal blanket
o   Ozark Trail hooded poncho
o   2x Orion red signal flares (5 min)
o   2x Black trash bags
o   3x Green Cyalume Snaplights (12hr)
o   Gerber/BG Fire steel and magnesium stick
o   LifeStraw water filter
o   UST Starflash signal mirror
o   BG Mini survival guide

Food+ Small Tackle Box
o   Stormproof matches
o   3x Esbit Fuel tabs
o   Esbit Emergency folding stove
o   Wetfire tinder tablet
o   32x Beef/Chicken Bouillon cubes
o   1x Micropur Sodium Chlorite water purification tablet (4hr)
o   Spice straws
o   Sugar
o   Salt
o   Crushed red pepper
o   Herbs De Province
o   Yellow Curry
o   Garlic Salt
o   Postum
o   Montreal Steak Seasoning

Waterproof Firebox (Red Gasket)
o   Bic Lighter
o   8x Wetfire tinder tablets
o   9hr Candle
o   Stormproof matches
o   Magnesium/firesteel
o   Folding pocketknife
o   1Yd Tinfoil

Blue Nalgene Bottle
o   Metal Cup w/ folding handle
o   Gorilla duct tape
o   Potable Aqua water purification tablets (Iodide base)
o   Potable Aqua+  neutralizing tablets
o   Micropur water purification tablets (Chlorite base)
o   Misc filter/Camelbak attatchments and parts
o   Steripen prefilter attatchment

Blue Sack Personal Items
o   Degree deodorant
o   Mini Vaseline
o   Floss
o   Toothbrush
o   Toothpaste
o   Goldbond powder
o   Dead Down Wind hand sanitizer
o   Eye Drops
o   Bzk Body cleaning towels
o   Tums
o   Mini playing cards
o   Colman compressed towels
o   Mini bug spray
o   Cottonelle flushable wipes
o   Carmex lip balm

Faraday bag
o 1Gal Mylar bag
     o   Green sack
       ? Goal Zero w/ Guide10 batter charger  (4 AA inside)
       ? 2x Midland Xtratalk 2way radios (6 AAA) (only use channel 8-14)
       ? Energizer headlamp (3 AAA)
       ? Bushnell Backtrack point-point GPS and Compass (2 AAA)
       ? Steripen Traveler UV water purifier (4 Lithium AA)
       ? Rocky flashlight (3 AAA)
       ? Misc bag
           • Guide 10 AAA adapter w/ 4 AAA
           • Goal Zero Usb light
           • iPhone Charging cable
           • Usb-Mini usb cable
           • Goal Zero 12V car adapter

Black Multipurpose Zipper Bag
o   Yellow Rite in the Rain all weather notebook
o   2x Cyalume Snaplights
o   SAS Pocket Survival Guide
o   2 Way radio manual
o   Vacuum sealed Book Of Mormon
o   Zerbra ballpoint pen

3x Repackages MRE’s

Mountain House Freeze Dried Food
o   Spaghetti w/ meat sauce
o   Macaroni and cheese
o   2x Rice and chicken
o   Beef stew
o   2x Granola w/ milk and blueberries
o   Icecream sandwich

Jetboil Flash w/ Storm matches inside
SOL 2 person thermal bivvy
Large Brown tarp
Gerbel LMF II w/ leg strap
Carabiner w/ 50ft green paracord spooled
Cyalume Snaplight holder/hider w/ one inside
2x Cyalume Snaplights
Gerber Gator Machete
Geber Hatchet
No Limits 2 person tent w/ rain cover, 2x XL Snaplights
Ka-Bar Black knife

Camelbak MULE
o   Black Water bladder w/ hydrolink connectors and frontier pro water filter attatched
o   Spare Camelbak bladder

Spacesaver bag w/ full change of clothes
2x Smartwater 1.5 L
2x Smartwater .7 L

Red First Aid
o   Qtips
o   2x Cyalume Snaplights (12hr)
o   4x Crazyglue Singles
o   Tweezers
o   Latex gloves
o   Various Band-Aids, gauss pads/rolls
o   Safety pins
o   Compression bandage
o   Salinaxx saline eye wash
o   Instant cold pack
o   2x Hand warmers (10hr)
o   Bottle of Ibuprofen (100 tablets 200mg)
o   Woundseal blood clotting powder (4 Single use pouches)
o   Various single use painkillers
o   Antihisamine tablets (allergy, 14 tablets)
o   Nyquil (4 Doses)
o   Antidiarrheal (12 Tablets)
o   Triple Antibiotic
o   Various single use creams, ointments and wipes (Hydrocortisone, burn gel, etc)
o   Tape
o   Hydrogen peroxide
o   Bite And Sting kit
        ?   Alcohol Pads
        ?   Sting relief pads
        ?   Disposable razor
        ?   The Extractor pump w/ 4 adapters
        ?   Band-Aids
        ?   Manual

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #176 on: February 07, 2014, 09:43:39 PM »

Offline Fourtybelow_Zero

• Prepper
  • Fingers are going numb.. So cold.
« Reply #177 on: February 07, 2014, 09:49:33 PM »
Do you know the weight?

Cedar

Well, Ive nicknamed it 'The Beast'

42 lbs Woo!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »
Well, Ive nicknamed it 'The Beast'
42 lbs Woo!

That is not hideous. But 42 pounds does get heavy after a bit. With my daughter weighing 30 pounds now, I need to try to shave 12 pounds off my pack, it was 28. So now I have to get it down to 16 to 20-ish. As I have to carry her and my BOB at this point, but getting her ramped up for hiking again, but with her own 5 pound pack.

Cedar

Offline BULL-IT

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
I was going to try and make a minimal bug out bag... just the necessities. I am staring with a grey ghost gear light weight pack. Once I get it all done I'll post pics.