Author Topic: Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags  (Read 487411 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Post Pictures of Your Bug Out Bags
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
Okay, so I combined an earlier post in another thread with the photos for this one.

Before I go into an extremely lengthy discourse, I do want to make a few caveats and explanations.

Wow.  Five years ago, I posted the above list of my BOB/PERK.  I just happened to run across it this morning and thought that, since I have a bit of extra time, I'd go ahead and do an update.

For those who are curious, here's the link to my original post with all the original lists:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1508.msg56520#msg56520

Very little has changed to the mission statement of our PERK's.  Mainly what has changed is the equipment and supplies.  In it's current form, it presupposes a Permissive/non-Hostile Environment.  We have additional modules that can be included for such things as Hostile Environments (aka, bullets are already flying), extended Support (7 additional days of food), Enhanced Medical, etc.

But, for this post, I'll concentrate on the Basic Kit.

As you can see, the basic layout from the original kit has changed only slightly.  The original pack was an early version of the air-droppable Camelbak Big Jump.  The side pockets were older Eagle Industries pockets originally meant to augment their AIII pack.  While the original system worked, there were a number of problems with it.

First, the CamelBak was heavy for it's size.  That's because it was jumpable and well over-built for it's intended use (well, technically, MY intended use. . . I can't foresee a situation where I would have to egress an airplane with my gear).

The side pouches were difficult to organize and open as well as extract equipment.  One of the pouches was a full medical kit, including Blow-Out Kit, while the other was essentially a minimalist Ditch Kit (i.e., if your situation suddenly necessitated speed and I had to drop my heavier kit, I could sling this over a shoulder and have the bare minimum equipment to survive).

Again, due to the design, it wasn't as user-friendly as I wanted.

This was found out after several actual bug-out drills.  We have a primary retreat location within 45 miles of our home and have made several trips on foot, an via bicycle, to shake down our gear.  Additionally, we have used several other opportunities to better maximize and simplify the use of our gear.

So, the changes are as follow:

First, we swapped the main packs out for Kifaru Navigators.  They're a little lighter than the CamelBaks and much simpler.   The lower section has a divided sleeping bag compartment and a 3/4 length double zipper, making it easier to access things in the lower section.  The back of the pack has similar 3/4 length zipper that opens a large flap allowing access to the interior.  The flap, itself, is covered in MOLLE both inside and out as is the entire pack.  The flap is also a zippered "sleeve" that allows you to store items. Inside the pack is a hydration pocket that will hold a large bladder.

While the Camelbak allowed me to sort things, sometimes it was more than difficult, especially in low-light conditions, to find things.  Worse yet, if I couldn't find something, I'd have to sort through several compartments.  Under extreme stress, this may slow me down or even result in lost supplies/equipment if I forget to rezip a compartment

Additionally, I feel the Kifaru is a more robust pack than the Camelbak. I have no problems with tossing the full pack over a fence or out a 2nd story window.  I know it wont' spill open.  With one exception, I know that my equipment will still be functional (the one item that may break is the Katadyn Filter, for which I have several alternate water purfication options).

In the Main Pack (#1) is the following:

1  100oz Water bladder
1  Katadyn Expedition Water Filter w/ cleaning kit
1  Set of Clothing, to include:
    1  Pair Pants
    1  Long Sleeve Shirt
    2  T-Shirts, Sweat Wicking, Non-Flammable
    3  Pair UnderArmour  9" light compression Shorts
    4  Pair Thorlo Socks
    1  Pair Elk-skin Gloves
    1  Pair Nomex Gloves
    1  Neckerchief/Shemagh
    1  Patrol Cap
4  Complete MRES (stripped of cardboard and repackaged in ziploc bags)
10 Millenium Bars
8  Pouches 3oz Weight Gainer Powder Mix
1  Hygiene Kit to include:
    1  Microfiber Towel, Large
    1  Washcloth
    1  Bar, Anti-scent soap (Not unscented)
    1  Razor w/ 2 Extra Heads
    1  Toothbrush
    1  Tube Toothpaste
    1  Roll Floss
    1  Unbreakable Mirror

1  Gerber Omnivore Flashlight
1  100' 550 Cord
3  Large, Contractor-grade Trashbags
2  45-gallon standard trashbags.
2  Rolls Toilet Paper
1  Sleeping System consisting of :
    1  Goretex Bivvy Bag
    1  Seasonally-Appropriate Sleeping Bag
    1  Big Agnes Inflatable Ground Pad

1  Personal Data Kit (Small, zippered notebook with personal data, insurance, etc.)
1  Set of Waterproofed Maps
1  Suunto Compass
1  Repair Kit
16 AA Lithium Batteries
8  CR123 Batteries
1  Large Tube Sunblock
1  Large Bottle Bug Repellent

On the waist best of the kit (and unseen in the photo) are two Maxpedition Nalgene water bottle carriers.  Each carrier has a zippered pouch which holds 20 coffee filters in a ziploc bag, a Sham-wow in a ziploc bag and two bottles of Aqua Mira water purification system.  Instead of the heavier Nalgene bottles, however, I use one Gatorade bottle and one mixer bottle as used by weightlifters for protein shakes, etc.

I swapped out both of the side-pouches for better options.  The first is a SatCom bag (Bag #2 in picture) originally intended to hold a Trivec AV2040 Satellite Communications Antenna. This, I turned into a Ditch Kit:

On the upper outside left of the closed bag there is a Tomahawk Flashlight.  When attached properly to the main kit, this can be used as a white or red light to shine on the path, ahead.  It can also be removed for hand-held use.  On the right, you can see a Cold Steel Frontier Hawk.  From my experiences, I don't need a full-sized axe.  Previously, I carried a Gransfors Brux Small Forest Axe.  This saves at least a pound but still gives me the ability to chop and hammer.

The design of the Satcom bag allows it to be opened much more easily and provide greater access than the previous side pouches.  It's also a bit larger.  You can't see it in the pictures, but there's also a small water-bladder-type pouch on the back of the pack as well as zippered pockets on each side and it's easier to throw over the shoulder.  MOLLE on two sides allows attachments of other pouches or, in my case, the carrier for the tomahawk and flashlight.

Inside is the following:

1  Minimag Flashlight
1  AM/FM/SW Portable Radio.
100' 550 Cord
1  Gerber Strikeforce
1  Firemaking kit
100 Waterproof matches
1  8-hour Candle
1  Silnylon Shelter
1  Heavy Duty Solar Blanket
1  Cook Kit w/ Esbit Stove and cleaning kit
1  Hammock
1/2 roll Toilet paper
12  Millennium Bars
16 AA Lithium Batteries
4  CR123 Batteries
1  Small Bottle Sunblock
1  Small Bottle Bug Repellent

On the other side I replaced one side pouch with an Eagle Sustainment Pouch (Pouch #3 in picture) and a removable Blow-Out Kit (Pouch #4)

The Sustainment pouch is more of a convenience pouch. I put most of the First Aid Kit in there as well as footcare items and a 1 of the Bag's MRE's and a couple food bars.  Mainly, it's there so I dont' have to open the main kit every time I stop.  Most of the first aid Kit is in a Tupperware container that fills 2/3rds of the pouch.  These are regular supplies for non-trauma issues.  Cuts, intestinal distress, blisters, etc.

Pouch #4 is a standard Blow Out Kit intended for traumatic injuries.  This is one of those pouches that has a panel covered on the front in Velcro and attached on the back via MOLLE to the Main Bag.   The back of the pouch also has Velcro which holds it to the panel and is further held in place by a simple strap and Fastex buckle.  If you need it, just pop a Fastex Buckle and rip the pouch off the velcro panel.  You then have a three-tiered Blow-Out Kit that can be easily carried or accessed.

Since this has gone on too long, already, I'll abbreviate the last two items in my kit:   The first is the Clothing Bag.  I have a bag in each of the vehicles that holds a full set of "bug-out" clothing in case something happens and I'm not wearing sturdy enough clothes.  This way, if the apocalypse happens while I'm at the gym swimming or out doing a Nekkid 5k, I have a bag of clothing appropriate to the task.

1  Clothing Bag Consisting of:
    1   Pair Pants
    1   Shirt, Long Sleeve
    1   T-Shirt, Sweat-wicking, Fire Resistant
    1   Pair, Compression Shorts
    1   Pair, Thorlo Socks
    1   Pair, Nomex Gloves
    1   Shemagh
    1   Hat, Boonie-Style
    1   Pair, Boots

Finally, I have taken some items that are universal to various kits and put them together that ride along with the Clothing Bag.  While most of the time I wear good clothing and have my EDC items that will help, I can't always assume that I'll have them with me.  So, I've made a smaller kit filled with "EDC"-type items that can augment what I have with me.

I just call this an EDC Kit:

Basically, it's a Condor T&T Pouch (A copy of Tactical Tailor's Admin Pouch) which contains:

1  Leatherman Wave
1  Fenix LD15 AA Flashlight
1  Sunglasses Carrier with tinted and clear Safety glasses inside
1  Bucklite folding knife
1  Millenium Bar
1  Mini Mag Lite (it's sort of a good luck charm)
1  Scrapyard knives Scrapivore Neck Knife
1  Pair Mini Binoculars
1  Zippo Lighter
1  LifeStraw
2  1-pt, Platypus bladders (in pocket)
1  Spray Bottle Bug Spray
1  Spray Bottle Sun Block
2  Carbon-impregnated facemasks
1  Bottle, Iodine Tabs
1  Space Pen
1  Notepad
4  AA Lithium Batteries

This last kit pretty much stays in the car.  If something bad happens, I can take what I need and leave the rest.

Anyway, I just thought it might be interesting to see how someone's kit has evolved over time.

The Professor

JPBeck

« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2015, 07:31:33 PM »
I have a much more comprehensive kit in my truck here's the link to that:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=53241.0

JP's Eagle  Becker Pack-- this one I take with me when we take someone else's car, or when we go out for a medium hike.

It's a medium to small pack. Nothing fancy, just one zippered pocket on the lid. There are two slips along the side, but they are not pockets per-say.

I use one side to hold my water bottle. I attach the bottle via a clip so it doesn't slip through.

Tarp and light Snugpak

Mess kit with rice, gravy pack. alcohol cat stove

MRE, water bottle, small first aid kit, knife, cap, tape, poncho, cordage (550, bankline), whistle, multi-tool, compass, belt

Cold Steel SRK (with fire rod and diamond sharpening rod), fire rod, another tarp, fire kit (lighter, match book, slimed cotton balls, small rod, magnifying lense) , Altoids box (with sewing kit, nails, lighter) , hand sanitizer, storm whistle, head lamp, hand held led light,  extra batteries, space blanket

Cat stove

Candle and hanky, compass,

Contractor's bag

It has a removable waste belt, but it's a light pack so it doesn't see much use.

I have a CCW and usaully have this on me, Kimber Warrior

Thanks for you time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 07:50:25 PM by JPBeck »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
What is the weight on it JPBeck?

Cedar

JPBeck

« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »
Probably 12 pounds max. The heaviest thing is the actual pack it's self.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »

This is really my get home/go hiking/car prep/my life is unstable and it's good to have gear with me bag and not my bug out bag, but it's a freaking sweet picture in my not so humble opinion

Taken from South Boulder Peak, Boulder County, Colorado. Beautiful but intense hike!

Edit: apparently that link won't work that way for pictures. Sigh. I really need a better way to make this work/a better place to put pictures online. But here's this if you still want to see it https://instagram.com/p/0RqhP5kOhj/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 10:50:09 PM by RuggedCyclist »

nelson96

« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2015, 11:10:28 AM »
This is really my get home/go hiking/car prep/my life is unstable and it's good to have gear with me bag and not my bug out bag, but it's a freaking sweet picture in my not so humble opinion

Taken from South Boulder Peak, Boulder County, Colorado. Beautiful but intense hike!

Edit: apparently that link won't work that way for pictures. Sigh. I really need a better way to make this work/a better place to put pictures online. But here's this if you still want to see it https://instagram.com/p/0RqhP5kOhj/

Nice pack, what is it. 

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2015, 12:37:08 PM »
Nice pack, what is it.

It's a Voodoo Tactical level 3 assault pack I think. I used to have the Fox Tactical version of it (they call it a medium transport pack I think?) But that thing fell apart right away and I was constantly sewing it together. This one is built tough as hell though.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2015, 12:15:41 AM »
Now that I have a photobucket account and the photobucket app so I can actually use it.

Hiking with it.

Contents:

3600 calorie ration bar
Bag of chia seed
Clid bars, random snacks, etc
.5 liters water in bottle inside the pack. 1 liter bottle clips to outside or 2 liter camelbak goes inside.
First aid kit (bandages, OTC pain meds, steristrips, large non stick pads for road rash, yada yada
Generic brand Emergen-C drink mix
CamelBak elixir electrolyte drink tablets
Potassium gluconate pills
Quick clot pad
Local mountain trail maps and city maps
Pocket Bible
Pocket Constitution w/ Declaration of Independence
Spare glasses
Orange safety vest, folded in package like a rain poncho
Rain poncho
Emergency blanket
Condoms (this is my go with me everywhere including dates bag, after all)
50 ft of 550 cord
Hand warmers
2 glow sticks
Coleman flashlight that's been with me wrenching on every car I've ever owned
Water purification tabs
Home made wax fire starters/fuel tablets
Candle
Coghlan's brand Camp Heat canned fuel, like Sterno but with a wick and safer
Black electrical tape
Backup USB phone chargee that runs on 4 AAs
Charging cables: micro USB, Apple Lighting, Apple 30 pin
USB wall plug
Spare batteries: 4 AAs, 3 AAAs (spare set for each device)
Zippo lighter
Waterproofed strike anywhere matches in Altoids mini tin, with back scored for striking surface
Book of matches
Commercial waterproof matches
Thermal base layer top and bottom
Milsurp 100% wool glove liners
Bacalava (still set up for winter)
Headlamp, in MOLLE grenade pouch on outside of pack, with spare set of batteries taped to the headband
Rain jacket strapped to bottom

Later I'm going to do a rundown of my full on bug out bag.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »
Looks nice Rugged. And I looked at your stone pics.. nice work there. And the rock flower was cute.

Cedar

Offline voyageur

• Prepper
  • Sort of new TSP Forum member
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2015, 08:33:12 PM »

Somehow I read that as "my wife is unstable," and I was trying to figure out how the contents of your pack would protect you....

Maybe I need to get some sleep....  :-\

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #190 on: June 05, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »
     It occurs to me, after looking at the amassed information on this forum, lots of YouTube videos and stacks of survival magazines and books/guides, that we all have a pretty good idea of what constitutes an emergency kit. There's everything from the Altoids tin to the full blown Never Comin' Back bag. I've personally spent hours gathering, weighing and arranging kit contents, all the while hoping to find that special item that will swing the odds in my favor, even a little bit. There comes a point when you've educated yourself (and hopefully family), made prudent preparations and constructed well thought out kits and bags to meet your needs in a variety of disaster situations. I've realized that at some point, at least for me, this can all become a bit obsessive. At some point, it's time to say "we're good" and get on with life.
     That's not to say that I don't check expiration dates or buy a better type of flashlight battery if one comes on the market, or read the latest issue of American Survival Guide but as it stands now "we're good". After all, how many knives, firestarters, sleep systems, guns & ammo, emergency food do you really need? I've accumulated enough high quality gear to stock my own outdoor store. I feel that it's time to back off a bit and enjoy other interests. If the only purpose in life is to prepare to stay alive awhile longer, I feel like that could lead to a pretty shallow and unfulfilling life.   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #191 on: June 05, 2015, 02:44:26 PM »
I am good with mine. I just try to check them every 3-4 months to make sure everything is still good.. and SP has not outgrown her clothing.

Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #192 on: June 05, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »
     It occurs to me, after looking at the amassed information on this forum, lots of YouTube videos and stacks of survival magazines and books/guides, that we all have a pretty good idea of what constitutes an emergency kit. There's everything from the Altoids tin to the full blown Never Comin' Back bag. I've personally spent hours gathering, weighing and arranging kit contents, all the while hoping to find that special item that will swing the odds in my favor, even a little bit. There comes a point when you've educated yourself (and hopefully family), made prudent preparations and constructed well thought out kits and bags to meet your needs in a variety of disaster situations. I've realized that at some point, at least for me, this can all become a bit obsessive. At some point, it's time to say "we're good" and get on with life.
     That's not to say that I don't check expiration dates or buy a better type of flashlight battery if one comes on the market, or read the latest issue of American Survival Guide but as it stands now "we're good". After all, how many knives, firestarters, sleep systems, guns & ammo, emergency food do you really need? I've accumulated enough high quality gear to stock my own outdoor store. I feel that it's time to back off a bit and enjoy other interests. If the only purpose in life is to prepare to stay alive awhile longer, I feel like that could lead to a pretty shallow and unfulfilling life.

Well, I'll admit that when I was younger, I almost obsessed over our preps.

Like you, I'd spend hours fitting, refitting, researching, comparing and restructuring.  I spent ENTIRELY too much money on gear just to test it out or to see if it fit, looking for an edge.

However, as I got older, I started noticing that my gear sorta mellowed out.  I think a lot of it had to do with my wife and I making the concerted effort to learn new things and do actual "bug outs."   When we were in Colorado, we had our BOL's within relatively easy travelling distances.  We went twice a year and actually walked or rode our bikes up to, and back from, the BOLs.

When we walked, we would even "guerrilla camp" on the overnight portion, finding a place to hide and set up for the evening.  As we got more comfortable with what we were doing and learning, our packs got lighter and our equipment more efficient.

Sure, I still look at, and evaluate, things for my kits.  I think I always will. But knowledge and experience has replaced much of the gear.

As well, our "mission" has changed.  We had to move back to the midwest and  now have a larger support system in place that minimizes much of what we need to evacuate.   There'll always be the potential for a Worst-Case-Scenario involving long-distance relocation, but that threat has been reduced quite a bit.

The Professor

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #193 on: June 05, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
Somehow I read that as "my wife is unstable," and I was trying to figure out how the contents of your pack would protect you....

Maybe I need to get some sleep....  :-\

You absutely just made my night. My wife is unstable. Lmao. To be honest, the girl that would most likely be my wife if I somehow married this young, is a very unstable person, so it's not that far off! Lol!

100% guilty here. Even after I got to the point where I realized that like, oh shit, I have to plan for if shit doesn't hit the fan so I can live a happy successful life if everything is halfway ok and make sure it fits in with economic trends shifting towards more instability and the progression of downward class migration, I still get caught up in optimizing my bug out bags designing modular systems finding or developing the best emergency food and on and on.

I've literally had to force the idea of "oh shit the shit could hit the fan tomorrow and my cheap surplus tactical vest and SKS are going to be the only things keeping me alive AHHH" out of my head to keep focus on my priorities. Time to work on shit like moving out, getting a real job, probably starting a business, eventually buying land, and building that better life.

endurance

« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »
Great post Bcksknr.  +1

Like my overall interest in most activities, they wax and wane, they evolve and transform, and they find a rhythm to it all. Recently my firefighting bunker gear went through its kit building evolution; what did I need, where did I want it, where would I carry it, and then the culling, lightening, simplifying, and retooling that my BOBs, EDC, hiking kits and car kits have gone through dozens of times. Even when I'm not thinking about it in a building/rebuilding phase, I might find something I need or need to replace and the goodies inside evolve. I'll admit, I love being 'that guy' when it comes to being the problem solver for a group and when you're surrounded by folks who also love being 'that guy' it becomes a bigger and bigger challenge. I eventually had to invent the lighted door wedge to gain some notariety for my geekness with my department.

I always wonder if I'm really doing anything to build a better life with these kits; is version 5.3 really that much better than version 2.0 that it was worth the money I've spent?  Maybe, maybe not, but the fringe benefits of going through 'what if' scenarios always helps. I work my problem solving muscles and learn to expand my toolbox of solutions. What was once just a ladder to climb to high places evolves to be a temporary bridge to cross high waters; what was once a door wedge for controlling ventilation becomes a signal to show me where my exits are in a smoke filled house. It becomes a process that matters more than the kit itself and if I ever find myself on vacation away from the majority of my preps, I'm confident I can walk into a grocery or hardware store and build myself the kit I need to create safety and comfort for me and my family. That's the ultimate takeaway from these kits.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #195 on: June 06, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »
I always wonder if I'm really doing anything to build a better life with these kits; is version 5.3 really that much better than version 2.0 that it was worth the money I've spent? 

Endurance, as you know I have 2 BOB's for myself.

#1 BOB I started in 1990. Everything in it cost me less than $100, as I was not affluent in money. Alot of it is second hand, found items. That bag has served me for $25 years and I have not changed much up on it other than adding maps from a thrift shop for 10 cents each.

#2 BOB I also started from salvage and found things, but when I made Z get a BOB put together for himself, he bought 'high end' stuff to put into it, and bought triplicate things, so I would have one, he would have one, and SP would have one.

Between my two BOB's is ... I like my BOB#2 better, but I actually use BOB#1 more. Both for myself and others. Even though BOB#2 has 'cooler' things in it, BOB#1 has tried and proven things in it over the last 25 years. They work equally as well as the thing in BOB#2. BOB#1 also is where I usually need it for others, as it is in my vehicle, wereas #2 is in the house.

In 25 years in the BOB#1 I have not ever lacked something in there in an emergency, or  'emergency'.

So my response to your question if "version 5.3 really that much better than version 2.0 that it was worth the money I've spent", is that, no.. you do not want that Dollar Store pocket knife in there, but you might be able to get a very good knife for the same price at a Garage Sale.

It comes down once again to Time, Cost, or Quality. I had no money and alot of time. So I knew what I wanted in my BOB's and so I was open to TIME, and kept my eyes open for seeing the opportunity to add that item to my bag. It took me two years to get my BOB#1 together to the way I wanted it.

Z. Time to him is different than time to me. I would not say he is impatient, but often he wants things done NOW. So he will throw money at things he wants to get done. In this case of his BOB's he tossed money at them to get it done.

Which of our ways is right? Neither? Both? But in the end, both our ways got our BOB's done. Many people don't start making their BOB's as they feel they do not have the money. I just know if I was able to get my BOB done on $400 a month income, so can other people. But having a backpack and a bottle of water in it, is better than NO backpack and NO bottle of water in it. At the very minimum a person should have "The 10 Essentials".

Map
    Compass
    Sunglasses and sunscreen
    Extra clothing
    Headlamp/flashlight
    First-aid supplies
    Firestarter
    Matches
    Knife
    Extra food

I am willing to bet that in two days time, anyone can pick these items up for less than $30. If I were to challenge myself I think I might even be able to do it for $10 if I gave myself a weekend and a couple garage sales.

Cedar

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 10:43:43 AM by Cedar »

nelson96

« Reply #196 on: June 06, 2015, 11:52:24 AM »
How about the thought of needing one at all?  Or do I really need all the stuff that most people include?

First of all, I personally think it's a good idea, even given the fact that in my lifetime (of 50 years) I've never needed one, but then again I've never been a homeless person and/or been without transportation where stuff was commonly stored.  To answer those questions for yourself you'll have to do a risk assessment.  If you live in the city and never venture away from it, how necessary is it to pack supplies you can probably find on every other corner?  Or better yet, simply ask for help from the next 20 people to pass by.  Whether I live in the city or in a rural area, if I only travel in common areas, why do I need a map or a compass, especially if I am going to stick to roadways with signs and/or markers?

I'm not saying don't pack a BOB.  In fact I stated that I think it's a good idea.  What I am saying is that you may not need all that you think you need and in some cases you may not need one at all (if you can acquire those from your surroundings).  I certainly wouldn't get hung up over the little things......  I figure you're going to die anyway, if you don't know how to find and use things around you.

The Professor probably says it best.....

Well, I'll admit that when I was younger, I almost obsessed over our preps.

Like you, I'd spend hours fitting, refitting, researching, comparing and restructuring.  I spent ENTIRELY too much money on gear just to test it out or to see if it fit, looking for an edge.

However, as I got older, I started noticing that my gear sorta mellowed out.  I think a lot of it had to do with my wife and I making the concerted effort to learn new things and do actual "bug outs."   When we were in Colorado, we had our BOL's within relatively easy travelling distances.  We went twice a year and actually walked or rode our bikes up to, and back from, the BOLs.

When we walked, we would even "guerrilla camp" on the overnight portion, finding a place to hide and set up for the evening.  As we got more comfortable with what we were doing and learning, our packs got lighter and our equipment more efficient.

Sure, I still look at, and evaluate, things for my kits.  I think I always will. But knowledge and experience has replaced much of the gear.

As well, our "mission" has changed.  We had to move back to the midwest and  now have a larger support system in place that minimizes much of what we need to evacuate.   There'll always be the potential for a Worst-Case-Scenario involving long-distance relocation, but that threat has been reduced quite a bit.

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #197 on: June 06, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
How about the thought of needing one at all?

I know if I really needed to save my posterior, the BOB will not be the first thing on my mind. If I had to bail without it, I would, but I sure would be grumbling about not having it. How many times have I used mine on me? Very little. How many times have I used it on people who needed help. Alot. And not when I was doing SAR either. The map was when 2 would-be fishermen were looking for a certain lake and I had a topo map and we found it. Another time a lady was stuck in her coat when her zipper broke and I used my multitool to free her of it.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2015, 12:22:20 PM »
The map was when 2 would-be fishermen were looking for a certain lake and I had a topo map and we found it. Another time a lady was stuck in her coat when her zipper broke and I used my multitool to free her of it.

Both were way far off from life threatening, but it does feel good when you can help someone out. 

Both support my silly argument....  Neither had on them what they needed, but they found someone who did.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 12:30:31 PM by nelson96 »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2015, 12:34:36 PM »
Both support my silly argument....  Neither had on them what they needed, but they found someone who did.

So someone somewhere needs to be prepared  ;)

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »
So someone somewhere needs to be prepared  ;)

And I too prefer to be that person, but I can honestly say I've never obsessed over my bag or its contents and most of the time it's not a backpack style bag the contents are kept in, it's some other kind of container, which include permanent storage areas in my vehicles and trailers.

endurance

« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
The closest thing I have to a BOB is my GHB in my car. It's a 20+ year old safety award I got from a previous employer and was my lunch pack for at least five years. Two-thirds or the bulk of it is clothes. It's not sexy, but it has made a number of situations more comfortable and helped me have a better life, whether it has been using the tarp at a company picnic to block the wind, pulling out work gloves to help lift heavy things, pulling out a wool hat when it was colder than I expected it, or pulling out bug spray to make life a little less annoying. Whether I've needed it or not is questionable. If I didn't have it I can't tell you how many plans would have been cancelled, how many hours would have been unnecessarily uncomfortable, how many friends would have caught a cold because they would have been soaked.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

Eberlestock G4 Operator with 20" barreled ;D

nelson96

« Reply #203 on: June 06, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
Eberlestock G4 Operator with 20" barreled

I love my Eberlestock Gunslinger pack.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #204 on: June 07, 2015, 05:59:44 AM »
     I hope this isn't to far off thread, but it is a short Murphy's Law anecdote. Years ago, we were in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and there was a ban on open fires. Since we were canoeing for a week, we had brought a Coleman stove and a gallon of fuel (hopefully to fry walleyes). The stove's tank emptied after the first day and when it came time to refill, we found that the tank cap was stuck. It wouldn't budge. No problem, as I had a multi-tool. Soon found that it wouldn't open wide enough to fit the cap. At the next portage, we ran into two canoes of campers and asked if anyone had a standard pliers. They each reached into a back pocket and produced pliers, visegrips, channelocks, etc. We opened the cap and greased it with cooking oil after filling up.
     Who would have anticipated something like this? Between the four of us, we had a very complete set of supplies. One of our group was an emergency room doctor and he had even brought injectable morphine! But something as small as a stuck gas cap and no tool to remove it (yes I even tried wrapping my leather belt around it, hoping it would work as a "strap wrench") could have meant no decent eats for a week. Every multi-tool I now own has been tested to see if it will open enough to grip a Coleman stove gas cap.
     The point to all this is that even with two canoes full of well thought out supplies (much more that one BOB could hold) and four seemingly woodswise adults, Murphy can still step in to mess with you. You can't possibly foresee all eventualities. You will make yourself crazy if you try and in the end, your survival may come down to the good will and cooperation of others. So I do my best to plan and pack for what seems reasonable to expect and hope to be adaptable and lucky enough deal with the things you never imagined.

nelson96

« Reply #205 on: June 07, 2015, 08:27:24 AM »
     I hope this isn't to far off thread, but it is a short Murphy's Law anecdote. Years ago, we were in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and there was a ban on open fires. Since we were canoeing for a week, we had brought a Coleman stove and a gallon of fuel (hopefully to fry walleyes). The stove's tank emptied after the first day and when it came time to refill, we found that the tank cap was stuck. It wouldn't budge. No problem, as I had a multi-tool. Soon found that it wouldn't open wide enough to fit the cap. At the next portage, we ran into two canoes of campers and asked if anyone had a standard pliers. They each reached into a back pocket and produced pliers, visegrips, channelocks, etc. We opened the cap and greased it with cooking oil after filling up.
     Who would have anticipated something like this? Between the four of us, we had a very complete set of supplies. One of our group was an emergency room doctor and he had even brought injectable morphine! But something as small as a stuck gas cap and no tool to remove it (yes I even tried wrapping my leather belt around it, hoping it would work as a "strap wrench") could have meant no decent eats for a week. Every multi-tool I now own has been tested to see if it will open enough to grip a Coleman stove gas cap.
     The point to all this is that even with two canoes full of well thought out supplies (much more that one BOB could hold) and four seemingly woodswise adults, Murphy can still step in to mess with you. You can't possibly foresee all eventualities. You will make yourself crazy if you try and in the end, your survival may come down to the good will and cooperation of others. So I do my best to plan and pack for what seems reasonable to expect and hope to be adaptable and lucky enough deal with the things you never imagined.

That's a great example bcksknr.  Some may actually take that the wrong way though.  Some may say, "that's a perfect reason to make sure I carry an adequately sized pair of channel locks in my pack", along with a bunch of other stuff that a person would rarely use.  I would say that's a perfect example of good preparation, making sure your fuel is in a container that you can access without packing tools you would rarely need.  And if you do find yourself needing a rare tool, I would bet that most situations will accommodate finding that tool somewhere else (other than your BOB), which I believe is the point that bcksknr made.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
Great posts in this thread but I know there are updates and new members that haven't posted yet so lets get busy

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #207 on: April 01, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
I have no bug out bag to show. But I do need to put together a get home bag.
Is the GHB I've noticed just that? A get home bag?
Thanks

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »
Yes.

GHB = Get Home Bag
BOB = Bug Out Bag
INCH = I'm Never Coming Home

I'm a proponent of INCH rather than BOB.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »
I have no bug out bag to show. But I do need to put together a get home bag.
Is the GHB I've noticed just that? A get home bag?
Thanks

They are actually ALL life support bags,no matter where you are going....
You do have a planned place to go ,don't you?