Author Topic: Fuel tank for Pop-Up Camper  (Read 7908 times)

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
Fuel tank for Pop-Up Camper
« on: March 14, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
A few days ago, I bought a '97 Pop-Up Camper.  It has been damaged (someone tried to tow it with a 1" ball and it fell off, bending the tongue and pushing the fuel tank into the body of the camper - and damaging the wiring) and I need to get a new tank. 
Does anyone know if all the tanks for campers are alike? (I haven't contacted a dealer yet.)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Fuel tank for Pop-Up Camper
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
Are you talking about the propane tank?  If so, yes, they are just standard 20# propane tanks.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:04:23 PM »
I'm sorry. Yes that is what I meant.
Thank you for your answer. 

Offline Stormchaser

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
20 lb may be standard, but I do know that smaller ones are also used, at least on some teardrop campers. I also have a set of larger ones (than 20 lbs) on an old travel trailer that I only use for storage so I don't really know how large they are other than they are definitely larger than the 20# ones.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:00:05 AM »
Yes, there are several different sizes available.  But in the 20 years of looking at popup campers, I've only ever seen the 20# bottles on them.  Even the huge Fleetwood Avalon has 2 20# propane tanks on them.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »
I was wondering because of some of the covers some people used.  They looked like they were too long (oval). So, I didn't know if "special" tanks had to be used or if those that people use for grills could be used. I have been told that the tanks that one can purchase at stores like Walmart, drug stores, etc. may be used.  (Although, I would like to have a "back-up" as well.)

I wish to thank everyone who responded for your help.

Finally got my truck fixed, so week after next (Spring Break), I will take the truck and the pop-up to a local camper dealer to have them wired. (Or re-wired actually) Then, *of course* I will have to *test* them out. (Right?  ;D) ASAP!

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
30 pound tanks are fairly common on campers, but I prefer the 20 pounders.  Much easier to take the tank off and go to the gas station and swap.  I also have a 5 pounder that I keep as an emergency reserve.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »
I stopped at a gas station last week and got a "20" lb tank.  THEN, when I get home, my son says that one of his friends has an extra that we could have.  >:(  Oh, well, I guess I could exchange the second tank for a full one and have an extra.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:42:06 PM »
Two tanks should be the minimum. You don't want to be up in the hills at the beginning of a week-long camp-out and run out of gas. Generally it is cheaper to get a tank filled at a co-op than to swap. I also highly suggest you get two hoses as they can go bad on you. Also carry extra o-rings (one the fitting that goes into the tank) as they do corrode.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  Good idea.  (Now, I know why my son's friend has 5 tanks. Well, 4 soon.  :D)
My son tried to fix the wiring today, but they didn't work.  One of his radio buddies suggested that it was because the truck wasn't hitched and that the wiring wouldn't work unless it was. (grounded). So, he's going to try again tomorrow - if it quits raining.  Otherwise, I'll have to take it in to a dealer to have it repaired - and pay out the nose!  :'( 

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 11:15:43 PM »
I agree with Thox.  He's my hero.  Thox, you should have come to work this morning, Turbo was angry at his socks.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »
I agree with Thox.  He's my hero.  Thox, you should have come to work this morning, Turbo was angry at his socks.

That's it, we're going to set up a webcam on him!

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
Flagtag: how about a picture of your rig?

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
Sure - IF I can figure out how to do it. ("computer illiterate".) Maybe I can get my son to help. I'll let you know.

Ok. Cross your fingers. Not sure if I did this right.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:03:57 PM by flagtag »

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
Ok. That's not the one I really wanted to send. I'll try again.

I give up!!  >:(  I just can't get it right.  (and my son took off!)
Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 07:19:19 PM by lvschant »

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
pop-ups are great. I got mine (a 1985 COleman) for a 6 pack of beer from some yuppies who had kekept dads old camper in the garage after he died and never used it because the mom didnt like tenting.. Their l;oss my gain.. I also picked up a 24 ft Dodge SPortsmen much the same way. ONly they needed to make a mtg payment and didnt have money  to pay it. Alas..  So either I can pull the pop-up behind the RV or with my old reliabel Jeep Cherokee.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:31 PM »
I like tent camping but my old bones just can't hack it anymore.  With the pop-up, I get the best of both worlds!  ;D  (I still have my tents tho, won't give them up - yet.)

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:36 PM »
I like tent camping but my old bones just can't hack it anymore.  With the pop-up, I get the best of both worlds!  ;D  (I still have my tents tho, won't give them up - yet.)
We always tent camped until a couple of summers ago when we took our vacation in October in Wisconsin and decided to get a pop-up. We paid more for less, we already have camping stove and all that to camp outdoors so we got one that was basically a tent on wheels. simpler.
http://www.travelizmo.com/archives/001001.html

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
fixed the link for you, Flagtag... nice looking pop-up!

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 07:55:38 PM »
Thanks.  I giddy about my luck!  (giggle  ;D)

When I saw it (before it was opened), I liked it.  Then the former owner opened it up and I KNEW that I couldn't pass it up!  Especially for the price. The only thing wrong with it was the damage from the accident (wiring and the hole - which has already been fixed.)

Right now, I'm gathering and cleaning all the stuff that I will store in it.
I can hardly wait to "try it out".  :D

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
driveway camping the first night is alwaws good. Especially if there is a rain so you can check for leakie poos