Author Topic: Medicine Cabinet  (Read 6308 times)

cole_michael

Medicine Cabinet
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:58:07 AM »
I've got a few months of food nicely arranged on shelves. 

It occurred to me that I don't really have much stored up, in terms of medicines and first aid supplies. 

If you were looking to create a mini pharmacy, for preparedness - what would you include? 

Obviously pain management (advil, tylenol, aspirin) and cold \ flu medicine... 

I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you!

Mike

Offline SailormanCGA72

• Prepper
Re: Medicine Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
A holocaust survivor told me to have something for intestinal distress.  Dysentery kills a lot of people.  Simple kaopectate, immodium, pepto-bismol would also be worthwhile to calm a stressed stomach.

cole_michael

Emergency Medicine Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
Agreed, Pepto Bismol and Gravol would be great additions.

Under a SHTF scenario, with emergency medical services being overwhelmed; we will be truly self reliant.  We focus quite rightly on food storage, but I think we're seriously lacking in medical preparedness.  Such a well stocked medicine cabinet would also be useful to those with pets.  

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with advice.  If your a nurse or doctor, even better.

My short starter list assumes that one already has a good first-aid kit already prepared.

A short list:

Pepto Bismol \ Gravol \ Antacides (Tumms ...)
Antiseptic solutions (including hand sanitizer)
Baking Soda, Vinegar, Salt, Ammonia, Rubbing Alcohol
Sting-Eze
Clean Water
Sun Block
Extra Prescription Medicines
Pain Killers (Advil, Aspirin, Tylenol ...)
Soap (Antibacterial)
Dressings & Bandages
Saline Solution
Emergency CPR Masks
Potassium Iodide Tablets
Dental Care (Extra Toothbrushes, Toothpaste, Floss ...)

Additions:

Thermometers
Blood Pressure Cuff
Emergency First-Aid Manual
First-Aid Training
Baby Supplies (Diapers, Formula, Wipes ...)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:54:21 AM by cole_michael »

cole_michael

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »
Should also have included:

Vitamins
Moisturizing Lotions
Anti Biotic Ointments

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 07:07:27 PM »
Irregardless of what you put in a medical/pharmacy kit, be aware that "most" items will have an expiration date(yes, i know they last longer, but you still need a point of reference), so check your supplies every so often and  replace anything that needs it. Some items that basically have an indefinite shelf life are calamine lotion, alcohol,betadine,bandages,sodium bicarb(baking soda).I am sure there are more but that's all this old geezer could think of right now. ;D

cole_michael

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »
Agreed, shelf life is an issue for most things beyond equipment. 

Most everything has a shelf life; from gasoline to vitamins.  If we integrate this into a similar rotation as we manage our food storage program, this isn't a huge issue.  Medicines don't usually become unusable upon initial expiration - they lose their potency, but they can be usable for quite a long time afterward.  Their are some exceptions, of course.  I appreciate the advice.

If anyone has created a good stockpile of medical supplies - I'd love to hear how you did it and what you included.  It would be awesome to hear a show on this topic.

Thanks again! :)

Offline Periwinkle

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
Since I'm in FL and I have some experience with hurricanes, I'd like to add a couple things to your list that you might want to consider.........depending of course if it would be needed for your area.

You have "Sting-eze" listed and I totally agree, but in FL I would have to add bug repellant so that maybe I wouldn't need the "Sting-eze".  *G*  I remember after Hurricane Andrew we would take cold showers at night and then spray ourselves with bug repellant BEFORE we went to sleep because all the windows were blown out and bugs are worse after a storm it seems.  The other 2 things that we needed isn't for the medicine cabinat, but they are things ppl seem to forget ~ gloves and trash bags. Those are a must after a storm.

Also..........depending on if you are alone or not, then this might not apply, but.......feminine supplies and midol/pamprin can be a must as well.   ;)

Hope that helps. 
Have a great day.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:59 PM »
I was thinking last night as I fell asleep that medicine should be something to store as well...

Like every other item that I've stopped and wondered about I've found right here in these forums.

cole_michael

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 08:42:49 AM »
I think that medicines and first aid supplies would \ could become more valuable than gold, if the situation were dire enough. 

It would be really nice to have a doctor create a list of prescription grade supplies; because the over the counter stuff is okay - but not really the preferred.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 03:38:22 PM »
Here's what I have in mine:

Aspirin, exedrin, ibuprophen, antihystimines, decongestants, anti-diahhreal, cough drops, cough syrup, prep-h, sun block burn gel, drawing salve, pinxav, neosporin, iodine, peroxide, eyewash, instant ice packs, calamine lotion, bag balm, corn huskers lotion, lip balm, alcohol, tums, pepto, maalox, small bottles of anti bacterial lotion and/or soap, super glue, epsom salts and I'm sure more that I can't think of.
 I put a simple card on the front of my industrial kit that holds all the meds. It lists every med inside, when it was purchased, and the expiration date on the package or bottle. It makes inventory a snap, and easy to spot what may need replaced rather than root through each package.

For bee stings, grow some yarrow.You can mash the leaves in your hand and rub directly on a sting. I sware by it over anything from the drug store. I ran over a nest with the mower last year and got stung about 25+ times. Yarrow took the "sting" out within seconds. I will warn ya, the stuff spreads like mad!!

I have a few pretty extensive first aid kits as well. I always make sure each has little things that aren't normally listed or packaged in the kits. Finger splints, quick casts, LOTS of ace bandages, safety pins, qtips, etc.

When we talked about putting together a full med & first aid cabinet, we made a list of everything we could think of that we've dealt with, ailments and injuries. Colds, splinters, cuts,sunburn...all the way down the line, and stocked for all of them.  Sure its for our preps the same as anyone heare,, but I hate the idea of making a trip to the drugstore for just ONE thing. I'd rather already have it here.

Offline Fat_Man

• Prepper
  • Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
Here's what I have in mine:

Aspirin, exedrin, ibuprophen, antihystimines, decongestants, anti-diahhreal, cough drops, cough syrup, prep-h, sun block burn gel, drawing salve, pinxav, neosporin, iodine, peroxide, eyewash, instant ice packs, calamine lotion, bag balm, corn huskers lotion, lip balm, alcohol, tums, pepto, maalox, small bottles of anti bacterial lotion and/or soap, super glue, epsom salts and I'm sure more that I can't think of.
 I put a simple card on the front of my industrial kit that holds all the meds. It lists every med inside, when it was purchased, and the expiration date on the package or bottle. It makes inventory a snap, and easy to spot what may need replaced rather than root through each package.

For bee stings, grow some yarrow.You can mash the leaves in your hand and rub directly on a sting. I sware by it over anything from the drug store. I ran over a nest with the mower last year and got stung about 25+ times. Yarrow took the "sting" out within seconds. I will warn ya, the stuff spreads like mad!!

I have a few pretty extensive first aid kits as well. I always make sure each has little things that aren't normally listed or packaged in the kits. Finger splints, quick casts, LOTS of ace bandages, safety pins, qtips, etc.

When we talked about putting together a full med & first aid cabinet, we made a list of everything we could think of that we've dealt with, ailments and injuries. Colds, splinters, cuts,sunburn...all the way down the line, and stocked for all of them.  Sure its for our preps the same as anyone heare,, but I hate the idea of making a trip to the drugstore for just ONE thing. I'd rather already have it here.

Wow! I am humbled before an expert.  I recommend Desitin diaper rash ointment be included. I was on a hike with a friend, he got a rash and was down. He COULDN'T walk any more. I would have given $100 for a tube of Desitin ointment. For my big First Aid kit I have everything stored in a huge tackle box. Oh yeah, the one item I have gone to the kit for the most is a pair of tweezers (I buy quality $$ on this) and magnifying glass. Having kids and grass stickers are bad combination.  :D

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
lol Fat_Man, I'm hardly an expert. I've just learned to prepare myself for anything that might happen at home as far as minor first aid and meds are concerned. There is a drug store just a half mile away, but I hate running out for just one thing when I don't have to. My wife and I just sat down and made the list one day, then each time we stopped for her prescription or a sale item, we grabbed one or two things we didn't have. It didn't take much time to get everything on the list at all.

Good call on te Destin, I didn't think of that one.

I got a great deal on small tweezers a few weeks ago.Rite Aid had some on clearance, cool little things with a light in them, marked down to $1.25. I got 3 (i think) pair and put one in each kit.

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 03:08:37 PM »
Oxytetracycline  one of the family of tetracycline
A broad-spectrum antibiotic used to treat a variety of bacterial infections.

so in a SHTF situation would you use this?
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=ff956baf-5c40-4a0c-bfbf-57f4ded6e43b

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »
in a SHTF situation yeah I probably would. Tetracycline has never bothered me unlike some other antibiotics. I have a friend that is a total cheapskake although they make good money and he always uses vet antibiotics instead of going to a doctor for a human prescription. They have cattle, horses, and dogs so they tend to have penicillin and such around for their animals. Several years ago my husband was brush hogging and scratched his eye on a tree limb. The doc prescribed a small tube of medicine, cost around $100. a few months later my horse scratched an eye when we went on a really rough trail ride and the vet sold me a tube of the same medicine my husband had been prescribed for $7.-That kind of ticked me off.  :o

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »
Great thread.

I'm PMing Doc K to see what he thinks.