Author Topic: Food Sealer Film  (Read 4809 times)

Offline Route66Express

• Fledgling Prepper
Food Sealer Film
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:28:22 PM »
Those of you who religiously use your food sealers, I'm curious where you purchase your bags/film from. I'm trying to get in the habit of using mine on a much more regular basis, and was hoping to find a trusted source to purchase film/bags at a good wholesale price.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Food Sealer Film
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:05:25 AM »
I have used the foodsaver bags for my vacuum sealing, but have often had bag failure if the food has sharp edges. It generally works fine for repackaging meats for the freezer, and more short-term storage. I would be less sure about it for long-term storage without a mylar bag to really seal well.

Tammy (on dehydrate2store.com) recommends these folks:

http://www.dcprocessingequipment.com/

They have thicker, more heavy-duty bags for long-term storage.

Good luck!

Offline painless

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »
Those of you who religiously use your food sealers, I'm curious where you purchase your bags/film from. I'm trying to get in the habit of using mine on a much more regular basis, and was hoping to find a trusted source to purchase film/bags at a good wholesale price.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/specialsurfacebags.html

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 04:17:39 PM »
Sorbent systems has a pretty good price.

I signed up for email deals at the FoodSaver site when I registered my sealer and they are always sending me discount codes for their bags and rolls.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Have you had good luck with sorbent systems' service, Nic? I was not happy the last time I ordered from them (it has been awhile, though, so maybe they have improved).

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 11:27:17 PM »
In addition to purchasing direct when the mfg offer sales and discounts, I purchase at the Bed, Bath, & Beyond-type shops that have/accept discount coupons. Costco also sell the bags.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »
Have you had good luck with sorbent systems' service, Nic? I was not happy the last time I ordered from them (it has been awhile, though, so maybe they have improved).

I was just commenting that at the link painless provided to Sorbent Systems the price for rolls was pretty cheap.

Actually, after your warning about Sorbent Systems in a thread about mylar bags and O2 absorbers, I decided I wouldn't try my luck with them.  ;D

In addition to purchasing direct when the mfg offer sales and discounts, I purchase at the Bed, Bath, & Beyond-type shops that have/accept discount coupons. Costco also sell the bags.

This is a great suggestion. Bed Bath & Beyond sends out a monthly circular with a $5.00 off $15.00 purchase coupon which brings their two-pack of 11" x 18' or two-pack of 8" x 20' rolls down to $14.99.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 07:57:54 AM by Nicodemus »

Offline painless

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
I was just commenting that at the link painless provided to Sorbent Systems the price for rolls was pretty cheap.

Actually, after your warning about Sorbent Systems in a thread about mylar bags and O2 absorbers, I decided I wouldn't try my luck with them.  ;D

This is a great suggestion. Bed Bath & Beyond sends out a monthly circular with a $5.00 off $15.00 purchase coupon which brings their two-pack of 11" x 18' or two-pack of 8" x 20' rolls down to $14.99.
Been using Sorbent Systems for about 4 years, with stellar results.  I am, however using their vac-packer, and 4 mil quart sized bags.  (No channel bags.)  I have no experience with their channel bags, but assume they are good enough, as Tilia sued them for patent infringement several years ago, and lost.  Most manufacturers don't bother to sue if a competitors product sucks, choosing instead to highlight the favorable comparison of their own products.