Author Topic: HISTORY; 9-11 - Where were you?  (Read 20283 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
HISTORY; 9-11 - Where were you?
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:50:20 AM »
HISTORY; 9-11 - Where were you?

9-11...

Where were you?

swanson

How did this terror event impact you personally and your own approach to security and survival?

Here's some headlines following that dreaded day in history -

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: HISTORY; 9-11 - Where were you?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:53 AM »
www.stratfor.com

Personal Contingency Plans: More than an Ounce of Prevention

August 15, 2007 | 1728 GMT

By Fred Burton and Scott Stewart

U.S. counterterrorism sources remain concerned that an attack against the U.S. homeland will occur within the next two to three weeks. This is not surprising, considering that the drums have been beating loudly in Washington this summer about a potential attack — first from Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and then in the form of a National Intelligence Estimate. More recently, several other reports have appeared concerning an impending attack, including an alert over the weekend in New York triggered by an alleged dirty bomb plot.

"This post has been modified by Docwatmo to comply with DMCA Rules and Regulations".

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:40:12 AM by Docwatmo »

kaiservontexas

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:42:02 AM »
I will answer the where was I. I was asleep. It was my day off from classes. My mom burst into the room and said something about the WTC. I thought nothing of it and kept sleeping. Then she ran in and said pentagon. I hit the floor thinking nuclear attack being a child in the late part of the Cold War (late 70s -80s, which all I remember is the 80s) made me think the bombs were on the way. I hit the remote and was on the news in 2 seconds. I felt better when it was just a plane. I know that sounds bad, but I was thinking Russian ICMBs, SLBMs, and bombers.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
I was in the air on a flight from Philly to Pittsburgh.  We did a touch and go on the airstrip (no idea if that was related to what was going on).  I walked to bagage claim and my bag was the first bag off the thing.  It was turning into a great day, my sales rep (I was a regional sales manager at the time) picked me up outside the airport and had Howard Stern on the radio.  Right when I got in the van we heard simply a "plane had hit one of the world trade center buildings".  We actually joked a bit about some bigwig smoking a cigar and seeing a plane coming, we figured it was like a Cesna or something.

We then heard it was an Airliner, then a second plane, my rep (his name was Matt) turns and says you know what this means, I said yea we are at war.  Next the pentagon, I tried to call my wife the lines were jammed and figured she would know I was ok the airlines were being mentioned and she knew that I was not on those planes and I knew people that really needed to make calls (those stuck in the buildings) needed the airwaves more then me.

Then the plane went down in Pittsburgh and I knew they would tell the kids, I found a pay phone and got through to my wife, she had figured I was safe but was crying just watching the TV.  I had her get a message to the school so my son would know I was ok.

That night was the most lonely I have ever spent.  Why?  My wife and son were scared and hurting and I could not get to them to make them feel better.   I kept my career traveling on the road for two more years after that but it was really the end.  I absolutely never want to be away from them at such a time ever again.  I gave up a lot in money and lifestyle over that choice, never have I once regretted it!

By the way nothing brings back that day for me more then the song, "Where Were You, When the World Stopped Turning" by Alan Jackson.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:54:24 AM by ModernSurvival »

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
Where:  I was on the freeway in Birmingham, AL. after dropping my wife off at her job as a "Special Procedures Coordinator" for United Healthcare Insurance Company.  She called me on my cell phone and told me of the impact of the first plane.  I told her it was not an accident and to keep her eyes and ears open and senses on high alert.  I immediately sent out a text message to all of our kids informing them of the same thing.  I made it back home just in time to see the live broadcast of the second plane as it impacted the WTC.  We did have friends in NYC then, so our concern for their safety was immense.

And the world has never been the same since!

Tim.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
I was at home. I had taken the day off because the night before my MILs dog got hit by a car and died. My daughter had grown up with him and we were up late saying goodbye. I walked down stairs and turned on the TV and watched as they replayed the explosion of the first tower. I told my wife that something was up, and told her about the plane that crashed in to the empire stat bldg. We couldent turn away. I thought there would be 50k dead. I cryed like a baby, and even today I still tear up. 

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 11:14:30 AM »
Where -

I was in my bed with a serious headache and a touch of the flu when I got a call from a co-worker to turn on the tube. I did and turned to FOX News just as the second plane hit the South tower. My heart hit the ground and I was in tears despite my tough-guy crap. I knew we were immediately on a wartime footing, like it or not.

At the time, I was the special operations manager for a private security firm near Philly. Within an hour of the second plane hitting, I and a team of employees were dispatched to a critical infrastructure facility located in greater Philadelphia to bolster their security.

We were prepared to meet our professional commitments, but I have to tell you, the uncertainty of what might yet come was on everyone's mind like a dark shadow.

It was spooky to not see any planes in the air over Philly, damn spooky.

This is what I learned -

Even if you train, have all the assets at your finger tips, and think you are "ready" for when TSHTF, you can still feel powerless and uncertain of how to make the next move even if you have a mission and a plan. You've got to trust yourself and the man next to you.

9-11 changed the course of my life permanently.

swanson

Pokethis

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
I was at home and had gotten up after having a wierd dream.  I was on a college campus with pretty brick storied building and I was in one of them.  The building I was in fell over like a tree.  No one dies in my dreams so we were all walking on the walls and stuff.  ANYway..  I turned on the radio (NPR) and they were talking about the WTC being hit by a plane, I thought perhaps they were interviewing a fiction writer and were reading part of his book.  Then it hit me....

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »
I turned on the TV to pick up some morning news while I was waiting for my wife to finish up - we were working for the same company.

When I finally got to work, 90% of the people were huddled around radios, except my boss.  I asked him if he heard the news and he murmured "yeah, something about a plane crash" and went back to his desk unaffected.

millerized1

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
Working in a .gov establishment, wondering if the wife was coming home from downtown that evening.  She worked near DC, and at time no one knew how widespread this mess had become. We went into lockdown, fortified the building entrances and parking lot entrances and locked up shop for the day.  I rode the bike to the train station carrying both an AR on my back and a 9MM on my belt.  The trains out of DC weren't running, so I had to run closer to the city to pick her up.  THAT was an interesting ride.  Eventually we made it home, but it wasn't a day I'd want to repeat any time soon.

(the .gov folks in our building were scared, not of more terrorist attacks, but of all things.... A DRAFT.  These kids were petrified they'd have to go to war......truly sad.  I told the sheep that us sheepdogs would protect them from the big bad wolves and go cower in the corner.)

Offline edhand

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
I was working for Merrill Lynch and living in New Jersey.  I remember standing in our main conference room watching CNN on the large screen in the front with my coworkers.  Our group had two people in that area on the day that it happened.  It was a really hard day for all of us and it made me think about a lot of things.  Life is so precious and so fragile. 

There's this quote from The Shawshank Redemption that's a favorite of my wife's: "Get busy living, or get busy dying."  In the weeks following that day I finally understood what that quote meant.  In the past seven years I've gotten married, had two great kids, moved to Wisconsin, left corporate america, started exercising my 2nd amendment rights, became a stay-at-home dad and started homeschooling my kids.

I think a lot of people took offense at that attack on America and that got them thinking long and hard about what "America" actually means.

Anyway, my two cents.

Ed

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:00:40 PM by edhand »

Storm

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
I was in class. Saw it on the class TV. Everyone looked at me since I'm normally the one that knows what's up. I shook my head and said we were going to go somewhere and kill someone. Sucks that so many people died, but it didn't and hasn't really effected me.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 12:35:35 PM »
I was a IT consultant at construction company. I heard about the first plane at home from my wife as I was leaving for work. I saw the 2nd plane on live TV at work. Work was very somber, eventually we al left early and went home. I think the company actually sent a team to NYC to help out. The next weekend I put together my first BOB and put it in my car. Work was 35 miles away.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 01:22:20 PM »
I was living in an apartment in German Village in Columbus Ohio.  I had just graduated from college 2 weeks prior.  I was recovering from partying till 3am the night before when I was woken up by the phone ringing at 12:30pm.  It was my mom and she was hysterical.  At that time no one knew what was going on and I was living near the center of a major city in Ohio.  I did not have a firearm in the house and wished I had one.  I was ready to drive 3 hours north to my parents house to "defend the homestead" from whoever attacked us.  Mom and dad talked me out of it.  It was so surreal.  The city was quiet and after awhile, I noticed no planes flying.  That was really odd.

Before 9/11 I had plans to be in rural ohio close to my parents on 9/12/01.  I packed up my camping gear and took it with me on 9/12 just in case.  I was glad to be in an area that I knew like the back of my hand and close to my family and our firearms.  I remember driving back to NW Ohio on 9/12 and seeing the lines for gas.  They were miles long in small towns.

I was talking about a situation very similar just a month prior to 9/11.  I was on a month long backpacking trip in the Yukon Territory, Canada with 9 other students from Ohio State.  We had been the the wilderness for almost 3 weeks.  We talked about how we have been totally out of the loop and wondered what was going on in the world.  Someone said, wouldn't it be weird if Ohio got attacked like in Red Dawn and all of us had to stay in Canada?  We fantasized about what we would do ect.  How different we all reacted when a similar situation actually happened!

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
I had just gotten up and turned on the boob tube and saw the first tower on fire. My wife was in the kitchen and I told her to come look a the big fire in one of the towers. Just as she made the corner to see the TV, the second plane hit. We were both stunned, then we heard the Pentagon was hit. I remember saying "we are at war".
Early the next morning, I recieved a phone call from the New York State Police wanting to know if we were disaster certified. I said we were and he asked if we could come to New York. I thought for a second about the logistics and said "if we can get transportation". He said we would have a C-130 on the tarmac in Evansville, IN at 0600 the next morning. I spent the rest of the day calling the team together and packing gear we could take on the plane. The next morning as we got to the airport, my cell rang and the NYSP told us to stand down because they didn't have any place to put us. We turned around and went home.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13:01 PM »
On September 10th 2001 my wife & I had moved to Springfield, MO.  We arrived that evening & checked into a motel because we hadn't found a house to live in yet.

On the 11th I awoke & turned the TV on, the first tower was on fire.  Shortly after, the second plane hit the other tower.  I awoke my wife & told her what was going on.  We hadn't unpacked yet & she asked me what we should do.  I told her to call her Mom & Dad to ask them if it was alright for us to come stay with them for a while if things started to get bad.  I gassed up the truck because I figured the gas prices were fixing to go thru the roof, by noon the gas stations up & down Glenstone were selling gas for close to $5 a gallon.  Price gouging m'fers. 

We ended up staying put in the motel & staying in Springfield for a few months until we found a house in the country.

kimrpeterson

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »
I was camping at Camp Pendleton right next to San Onofre Nuclear power plant.  The troups were mobilizing to secure the perimeter of the base when we woke up.  We were evacuated when one of the hijacked planes was still in the air since nobody knew if they were going to try to take out the power plant. 

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »
I got up and walked to the college campus like I always do. I noticed on the way there that that there was very little traffic in the city which I thought was nice. I got to campus and the place was like a ghost town while I walked to the English building. I remember I saw one guy on his cell phone and he was saying "Mom are you okay?" which I didnt think much of at the time. It was definate weird vibe though I was gettin what people that were walking around were very quiet. I got to my first class and noticed it had been cancelled so I was like "Sweet!". I sat down at a bench to smoke a cigarette when out of nowhere my woman showed up with a classmate I had never met before. She was quite hysterical. She saw me calmy smoking my cigarette waving to them and she ran up and said.

"Did you hear what happened?"

I said no of course. And she put her hands up in the air like she was flabbergasted at my ignorance.

"Oh well its only the end of the world and all. They ran a plan into the World Trade Center and the pentagon!"

I still remember what I said to her when I heard the news.

"Oh yeah?....trippy."

Thats what I said. All my classes were cancelled so I spent the rest of the day at a friends house with the group I hung around with in college there were about 7 or 8 of us. We sat in his backyard and drank beer and smoked cigarettes while listening to the radio.

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
  I was at work on my computer running calculations. My computer was a stand alone, but one of the other PCs were hooked up to the Internet and someone said a plane had crashed into one of the WTC towers. This did not concern me much. I like many thought it was a small private plane and knew large building like that just brushed them off.

Then news came it was a passenger jet and I thought...Oh no, but again I knew large buildings were tough!

Then came word of the second tower being hit!! I felt a chill down my spine...

Later came word of the Pentagon and the plane down in Pennsylvania.

I continued to work with my ear to a radio. When I got home I put the TV on...How many I was wondering...Four for sure...word of other planes missing...President Bush on the run.

I found out later my best friend and her children were on a flight from Seattle to Dallas..but had to go back when they grounded all the planes...it got very personal.

The true nature of the event came to me two days later, when I stood out side and looked into the clear deep blue skies of West Texas and didn't see one contrail from airliners that always seemed to fill the skies were I lived...No planes...nothing...

The Y2K scare was just winding down for me, but these events made me think again about survival. As the war in Afghanistan and later Iraq went, I got more worried and finally realized...my government may not be able to help if TSHTF... I got out of debt..started prepping again with my old Y2K plans changed up...and I wait...Live...Love...Hope...but ready.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 05:19:21 PM »
I was stationed at Kirtland AFB NM as Kennel Master for our Military Working Dog Section.  I was in my usual routine of having a cup of coffee after checking on the dogs.  I had just flipped on the news in our office and saw the aftermath of the first plane.  Thought it was an accident and called the wife to have her flip the news on and check it out.  We were both on the phone and watching when the second one hit.  Knew it was no accident at that point.  

Called the commanders staff to see if they knew about it and they didn't.  Recalled all of my K9 personnel as I knew we would be busy as hell, and we were.  Ended up working for 68 days straight.  As we were 2 handlers short, myself and the trainer each took an unassigned dog and responded to call outs, helped at the Installation Search areas, and general patrol.  

On the day after the attack, people were already protesting us at the front gate.  Couldn't believe it, as we hadn't even formulated a response yet.  The coolest thing happened the third day when a guy wearing a kilt and sporting bagpipes showed up and everytime the protesters started up, he would play Irish war music and drown them out.  Also saw a dependant wife knock the living crap out of a college boy who was waiving a sign saying that we (USA) had it coming.  Don't know who she was but she made me feel very good that day!

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 07:23:44 PM »
At 8:43 am I watched it on a jumbotron screen in a secured facility in the northeast.
Thirtyseven hours later I was on the pile .....

Nuf said, have alot of bad memories

It was the day the world stood still

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:36:20 PM by CTF250 »

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 07:56:27 PM »
 The coolest thing happened the third day when a guy wearing a kilt and sporting bagpipes showed up and everytime the protesters started up, he would play Irish war music and drown them out.  

Just the thought of the warpipes firing up sent a shiver up my spine.  Little can get me fired up as good as the warpipes blaring. ;)

...well done I say.

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
I was at work.  A customer called and said to turn on the TV because the WTC had been hit by a plane.  We were all standing around the TV watching what we thought was a replay of the first plane hitting the tower, when we realized that it was a second plane hitting the second tower.  When they broke in to say that the Pentagon had been hit, no one said, "We're at war," but I remember thinking, "I don't know why I am still standing here, I should be on my knees."

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »
I was getting my youngest son's homeschool work ready for the day when I saw it on the news.  I was stunned and picked up the phone to call my Son that is in the army to see what to do...and he didn't even know anything had happened.    I believe everyone in America was caught off guard and didn't know what to do. 
I don't think that I'll be caught off guard like that again.

KyFarmer

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
I was in Miami on training for work when the planes hit.  I didn't know it at the time, but Miami is the 2nd largest concentration of financial institutions in the US, second only to NYC.  They evacuated downtown Miami - but DIDN'T EVACUATE MY HOTEL.  That was fun...

After that, honestly, I spent the rest of the day in a bar across the street from the hotel getting very very drunk.

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
I was at home sleeping.  I was one of the afternoon sergeants at Kennesaw PD (yes, 'that' Kennesaw) and had just finished working 10 days straight the night before.  I was looking forward to sleeping in and generally getting caught up on some relaxation.  My ex-wife called, waking me up. In that haze you are in when you first wake up, I recall her telling me "they hit the World Trade Center," and thinking "No, they already did that."

I rolled out of bed, turned on CNN, and saw both towers come down.  I guess I sat there for 15 minutes, just kind of stunned.  I then began ironing a uniform, knowing I would be called in to work.

Over the next few days, I saw some things and people from certain Federal agencies that convinced me the event had been intended to be even larger than it was.

The reality of that day has not left me, nor do I wish that it would.  Too many people have forgotten already.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 09:49:09 AM »
I was one of the afternoon sergeants at Kennesaw PD (yes, 'that' Kennesaw) and had just finished working 10 days straight the night

Over the next few days, I saw some things and people from certain Federal agencies that convinced me the event had been intended to be even larger than it was.

The reality of that day has not left me, nor do I wish that it would.  Too many people have forgotten already.

Hi aurburnfootball, and WELCOME to the group!  I agree with you 100%  TOO MANY PEOPLE HAVE FORGOTTEN!  Every now and then I see a 9-11 related bumper sticker on a car, but that's about it.  I still have tears running down my face when I see the replays on the various anniversary shows.  It's "easier" to forget, makes you feel better to forget.  I still think we should have taken the rubble, loaded it into our Galaxy's and Starlifters and just let it rain down from 75,000 feet. 

Tim.

Ewok

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
   I was a student at the time. For some reason I remember I was brushing my teeth and after I finished I turned on the tv, just to see what was on the news (which I often did). The first thing I saw was a plane crashing into the building and I remember I did not take it seriously for a few moments. It just didn't register. Then I just watching with amazement as everything unfolded.
   One thing I think is noteworthy about the event from a survivalist standpoint is how gullible so many people were after that. Thinking just turned off for a lot of people and there was a kind of hysteria in the air. We should remember that crises are very useful to governments and they take advantage of the vulnerable mentality the pervades after. How many of us managed to keep our heads and think rationally in the days after?

backyardgardener

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »
I was in Ogallalla, Nebraska on a trip. We were working on an experiment with sunflowers outside and listening to the radio while we were picking bugs on the flower heads. My co-worker travelling with me decided that he wasn't getting on a plane to return to Ohio. We found a one-way rental and drove all the way back. Something I'll never forget. 10 days later, I had to move into my new place in Ohio. I was moving from Canada to Columbus Ohio and the border security was high. Here I was with a truck FULL of crap trying to cross the border. Needless to say, the Michigan border guards were less than pleased to have a Canadian joining the "buck-eye" team, much less the prospect of examining every single piece of my kitchenwares and linens. I'll never forget the deal I made with the border guard that day. He made me promise to never cheer at a football game and he wouldn't unload my truck and search it. I've kept my promise (although at home, in front of the TV, I'm a vocal fan of the Buck!).

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 02:35:03 PM »
I was at my doctors office with my grandmother. We were in the car when the second tower was hit...I thought it was some bad radio joke. I remember getting to school and seeing everyone cry....Horrible day.

I think everything changed for me after that day. I completely understood that America is not a fortress. We are at risk, no matter how safe we feel.

I feel like I went from average teen who only worried about what she was doing that weekend to really paying attention to the world. Looking bad, I hate that it took something of that magnitude to make my attitude change though  :(