Author Topic: Hummer H1 question  (Read 2283 times)

Offline stealthprep

• Fledgling Prepper
Hummer H1 question
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »
Hi all - I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a late 90's to early 2000's H1 Hummer. Are they hard to maintain/repair? Is it possible to convert the diesel version to a biodesiel and back again easily? Any other issues to be aware of? Thanks!

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
Re: Hummer H1 question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
Yea, they are out of business and their old company, GM, is almost as well.   Getting all but universal parts is going to get tougher especially since they did not sell many so used junks are also hard to find.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:05:30 PM »
A friend converted his GM pickup to biodiesel, ran him about $5k, but he gets his "gas" for pennies on the gallon. Changing back would also be time-consuming I would think.

The H-1 does have some parts in common with the original AM General HumVee, so start there? Also, what does your local GM dealer have to say?

I would guess (don't care, else I would look) that teh interw3bs probably have support aftermarket groups and sites for H-1 help.

Good luck.

Offline millwright

• Survivor
  • Cold War Relic
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:22:22 AM »
Biodiesel is a brewing process (kinda-sorta). From what I can tell, the only limits to using biodiesel in an unmodified vehicle is cold temps. Bio. will gel in cold weather and needs to be cut with regular diesel.
Vehicles can be converted to WVO (waste vegee oil), that takes a more involved conversion.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:27:31 AM »
Biodiesel is a brewing process (kinda-sorta). From what I can tell, the only limits to using biodiesel in an unmodified vehicle is cold temps. Bio. will gel in cold weather and needs to be cut with regular diesel.
Vehicles can be converted to WVO (waste vegee oil), that takes a more involved conversion.

My bad, blonde moment there. I read biodiesel, thought veggie waste oil which is what the friend did, not true biodiesel.  BTW, gelling can be handled by adding (expensive) fuel treatments like a cetane booster, which is SOP here in ND in the winters for regular or even #1 diesel.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »
Personal opinion only--I'd stay away from the H1.  Their not hugely practical in any anything, parts are not common, repairs are a pain and unless you have mad mechanical skills, and it stands out like a sore thumb.  And having spent alot of time in HUMVEEs, I'm not a fan. 

Good luck in your search.

BP

Offline Onug

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
My father-in-law wanted one.  He worked in the trucking business (parts) and so started asking around with some of his buddies that worked at GM dealerships.  Those guys loved the H1...brought in a lot of business.