Author Topic: Cardboard Can Rotating Rack  (Read 39023 times)

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
Cardboard Can Rotating Rack
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
I was looking for wooden rack plans when I hit this.  Awesome way to upcycle your old cardboard.

http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2009/02/16/build-your-own-can-rotating-rack/

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Re: Cardboard Can Rotating Rack
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:48:55 PM »
+1 Spartan. That is a great find. i have been wanting to organize my pantry on the cheap.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »
LOL I ran across the same one at a different source today after reviewing Jacks video review and then lost it (Too lazy to go diggin through my browser history to find it)  So thanks for post it back on here.

I have a 4x4 sheet of 1/8 inch plywood laying around going to waste waiting on a project.  I am going to build 2 or 3 x 12 can rotators (Give or take a couple cans) to fit in my lower cabinet.  I'll document the process using a similar design (without the reverse roll on the top shelf) and I am sure it will fit and probably last a bit longer than the cardboard.  Can't wait to do this project. (Maybe Sunday if I get lucky with my time).

Just wondering if I should dovetail the horizontal shelves into the vertical walls or use something else as a rail like some 1/2 quarter round trim I have laying around??

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:54:29 PM »
Build Your Own Can Rotating Rack

I never would have thought of using cardboard!

HumeMan

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:25:29 AM »
For anyone not up to all that cutting and gluing, this company sells pre-cut units that simply lock together.
It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" products.  :)

http://www.thecanorganizer.com/purchase.html

Offline bobert

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
its doesnt take that long

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »
For anyone not up to all that cutting and gluing, this company sells pre-cut units that simply lock together.
It's one of those "why didn't I think of that" products.  :)

http://www.thecanorganizer.com/purchase.html

That's neat!

Very expensive for what it is though. I know I could manufacture those for a couple dimes a piece.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:51 PM »
It could be useful to order 1 and use it as a template to make my own (With your own slight modifications of course).

I still think you could do the same thing with 1/8 inch plywood and get stronger, more long lasting products.  I still have to cut 2 out of the partial sheet I have at home.  Hopefully I can make that a "This weekend" project".  If it works, i'll post pictures, if it fails i'll just slink off to my office and console myself with a sandwich or something :)  I would still like to hear any suggestions for joining the plywood though.  I could cut slots just like the cardboard, but i'm thinking there may be a better way.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated  

HumeMan

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »
UPS FINALLY delivered my can racks today from The Can Organizer.com.

Step 1: Unfold cardboard and carefully study the instructions.

Step 2:  Have the realization that the person in charge of drawing the instructions, may in-fact be special needs.
            After 10 minutes of origami, I got the hang of it. And voila!

After the first one, all the others went together just fine.  Only took a few minutes of folding each.

I'm really glad that I bought these.  It made me realize that I didn't have as many cans, as I thought.  :-[  Each Can Organizer holds 15 regular cans.

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
Very cool!  I will probably order a couple packs (10% discount if you order 5 4-packs, so I'll probably go in with a pard)

I have the same shelf unit you do.  Can I suggest you move the bleach to a bottom shelf?  Be a terrible mess if it sprung a leak or otherwise spilled or fell and broke.

Docwatmo - I've been planning to make some out of 1/4 in plywood like you are.  I believe it would be better and stronger to go with using the 1/4 round at the seams instead of dovetails.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »
me likey... +1

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »
Thanks very much.  I'm gonna try to make one this weekend!

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 06:35:25 PM »

Can I suggest you move the bleach to a bottom shelf?  Be a terrible mess if it sprung a leak or otherwise spilled or fell and broke.

I have to agree. I manage a food warehouse and the health department would be quite upset with cleaning chemicals stored above food products. My suggestion is to move any chemicals to the bottom and any paper goods to the top. That should minimize the damage if anything were to leak.

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »
I have to agree. I manage a food warehouse and the health department would be quite upset with cleaning chemicals stored above food products. My suggestion is to move any chemicals to the bottom and any paper goods to the top. That should minimize the damage if anything were to leak.

I thought the same thing at first.

Judging by the pampers though, the poster may be trying to keep that stuff out of the reach of young children.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 07:38:09 AM »
I thought the same thing at first.

Judging by the pampers though, the poster may be trying to keep that stuff out of the reach of young children.

That makes sense, I hadn't noticed that. I guess any canned goods aren't really going to be hurt if something were to spill on them anyways.

Now that I'm thinking about it, some of the health department rules are a little extreme anyway. One time the health inspector yelled at us because someone had a jacket sitting on top of a pallet of product (which is in bags inside of boxes). He also threatened to write us up once right after we moved in because we had some pallets of furniture that he called "clutter".  ???

HumeMan

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 10:46:56 AM »

We keep a sand table in the basement.  My son is only 2 and NEEDS to touch everything.   ::)

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 02:15:16 PM »
Just ordered a few units from the can organizer.  Also, scored a metal storage shelf in excellent shape for $15 at the thrift store!  I'm going to dedicate it to cans-in-organizers.

Offline TekNikl

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »
There's a site that sells cardboard can organizers.

http://www.thecanorganizer.com/

They sell two sizes, cupboard and pantry. They have a video on site that shows how to put it together. It looks like it is made out of the same type of cardboard as a comic book box.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of ordering a few cupboard boxes on payday to give them a try.

HumeMan

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=15281.msg179979#msg179979

Still more than happy with them.  Hope to order another 8 soon.

Offline TekNikl

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »
Thanks for the info. I searched under Food Preps and got no results. That'll teach me to to Home first.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »
My shelves are getting pretty full. I may have to go to using that system to free up some space.

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 07:17:11 PM »
UPS FINALLY delivered my can racks today from The Can Organizer.com.

Step 1: Unfold cardboard and carefully study the instructions.
Step 2:  Have the realization that the person in charge of drawing the instructions, may in-fact be special needs.
            After 10 minutes of origami, I got the hang of it. And voila!
After the first one, all the others went together just fine.  Only took a few minutes of folding each.

I'm really glad that I bought these.  It made me realize that I didn't have as many cans, as I thought.  :-[  Each Can Organizer holds 15 regular cans.

+1 HumeMan, thanks for sharing the process and pictures from start to finish!

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »
I wonder if ther is a way to get some from the store in the soup isle when they change up every now and then, just an idea.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 09:37:22 AM »
I wonder if ther is a way to get some from the store in the soup isle when they change up every now and then, just an idea.
It pays to ask the store manager. When we go replace a rack in a store (snacks not soup) the old one often just gets thrown away. If the manager knows someone wants it we leave it there for them to take. If no one wants it it just gets tossed.
However, old ones can sometimes still be used in other locations, so they aren't always available just because they are being swapped out.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:42 PM »
just caught this thread... thank for posting, I think that I am going to have to give one of these a try

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 04:06:44 AM »
I've been emailing the owners trying to work out a way to get them shipped to Canada which their online system doesn't allow for some reason.  They're really friendly and accommodating.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:11 PM »
I made two racks based on the link Spartan provided.  I did a write up about it on my blog.  Too much to write here again, but I'll give you a link if anyone wants to take a look.  I changed up a few things while making it. ( hopefully for the better  :D)

http://makingahomestead.com/blog/2010/07/16/cardboard-can-organizer/

Offline bobert

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 11:15:44 PM »
the cardboard i used didn't hold hold up to the humidity, in my apartment, so i made this

www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=426385&l=088a24ed21&id=100000221551598

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 05:31:00 AM »
Shipping to Canada would have pushed the price for these over $100.  If you include the price of a shelf to hold them, I might as well buy a real metal storage rack from Shelf-Reliance.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 06:35:27 AM »
the cardboard i used didn't hold hold up to the humidity, in my apartment, so i made this

www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=426385&l=088a24ed21&id=100000221551598

I wrapped mine in clear packaging tape.  Hopefully that will keep it together and prevent moisture getting in.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:37:34 AM by Roswell »