Author Topic: Cardboard Can Rotating Rack  (Read 39014 times)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Cardboard Can Rotating Rack
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 08:06:10 PM »
the cardboard i used didn't hold hold up to the humidity, in my apartment, so i made this

www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=426385&l=088a24ed21&id=100000221551598
Nice Job.

Offline bobert

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2010, 11:42:19 PM »
thx

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:50 AM »
Here are two that my husband made about a week and a half ago -

FIFO

Offline Lunk

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 11:12:05 PM »
I built 3 of these a month ago. They're great. I still need to make 3 more. I'm just waiting for more good cardboard to show up at work.

Offline Mrs VTaero

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 06:21:25 PM »
Bobert, I have serious storage envy. I can't wait to move in a few months so we can build one!

Fantastic job!

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:01 PM »
the cardboard i used didn't hold hold up to the humidity, in my apartment, so i made this

What I wouldn't give to have that kind of ability to make something like that! Nice job!

Offline bobert

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 10:51:46 PM »
What I wouldn't give to have that kind of ability to make something like that! Nice job!

jigsaw and my front porch, lots of measuring and time

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
Anything cardboard that I have ever made doesn't stand up to my rough usage. I like mocking stuff up and then building it 'for real' in another material.

There was lots of talk about using discarded store display units. I did that myself, only from a convenience store. Those plastic racks that soda bottles are put in the coolers fit canned goods perfectly. My local store was pulling in new product, and had some old sliders that they didn't need anymore.

I build something along the lines of what bobert made (great job by the way) only a bit different.

I have construction details on my blog if anyone's interested. http://mike.creuzer.com/2009/04/making-a-fifo-canned-food-storage-auto-rotating-shelving-rack.html

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
Nice job you did there on the fabrication. 

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 06:27:02 PM »
that looks great

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Pittsburgh Off-road cyclists
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 04:20:46 AM »
i went ahead and implemented a bunch of the cardboard ones. So far so good.
It was an affordable way for me to get all my cans out of bins.

Can I just say that having your cans in bins just plain sucks, so whatever you do getting some sort of system in place is essential

-Nick

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 06:50:38 AM »
@creuzerm...that's pretty sweet. was discussing can storage/rotation with my sister the other day, she wondered if you could build something to store them upright. apparently yes, yes you can :)

@bobert...very nice shelves, love the addition of the counter top to make it even more useful and attractive. do you have any info you could share on the build, measurements, etc?

Offline bobert

• Prepper
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »
@creuzerm...that's pretty sweet. was discussing can storage/rotation with my sister the other day, she wondered if you could build something to store them upright. apparently yes, yes you can :)

@bobert...very nice shelves, love the addition of the counter top to make it even more useful and attractive. do you have any info you could share on the build, measurements, etc?

thx, the wife enjoys the additional counter top space, and the powerstrip. The measurements are 36" h x 48" L x 24" W, the back of the first shelf is 2" H, the front is flush with the bottom board. I based the rest of the shelf's off that, (which i played by eye, sorry).

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2010, 08:59:52 AM »
Put some into service. They were pretty easy to snap together. The shelves were dirt cheap and so were the rotators... all in all, a pretty frugal system and I'm pretty happy with it.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »
I talked to managers at 4 of the local stores that carry canned goods that have some kind of display rotating system.  2 of them took my number and will call me the next time they change systems or if any break.  (I can fix them but they need to put in new ones if the plastic breaks).  Some vendors take the old systems back and other leave them.  So with any luck I may have a couple of rotor devices in the next couple of months.

HumeMan

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 06:32:24 PM »
i went ahead and implemented a bunch of the cardboard ones. So far so good.
It was an affordable way for me to get all my cans out of bins.

Can I just say that having your cans in bins just plain sucks, so whatever you do getting some sort of system in place is essential

-Nick

I tell you, the can organizers really made a huge help in reaching my 3 month goal.  I thought I had more than I did.  Once seeing everything only half full, it gave me a great motivation to fill every box.

Offline ladieu

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2010, 11:18:06 AM »

I tell you, the can organizers really made a huge help in reaching my 3 month goal.  I thought I had more than I did.  Once seeing everything only half full, it gave me a great motivation to fill every box.

Yeah notice how mine aren't filled up yet? Good point

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »

This is fantastic.  You did a great job.

Do you have plans for this, or at least could you give some dimensions, can counts, etc., please?

Thanks

Offline bobert

• Prepper
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 01:03:35 AM »
This is fantastic.  You did a great job.

Do you have plans for this, or at least could you give some dimensions, can counts, etc., please?

Thanks

I'm sorry, I didn't draw up any plans.  However just measuring with a tape measure 36" h x 48" L x 24" W, the back of the first shelf is 2" H, the front is flush with the bottom board. I'll see if I can find the pdf i got the idea from. It holds roughly 400 cans of different sizes.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »
my can organizers fom http://www.canorganizer.com/ have been in service for about an year and are doing well.

Offline AF275

• Prepper
    • AF275 Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
A lot of great info in this one thread. I'm going to try my luck with making on of the cardboard ones as soon as I get some sturdy cardboard.

Offline ShannonB

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Mom
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2011, 06:33:22 PM »
I made one the other day out of an old science project backboard i found in my garage. It works great. My only problem is it holds 12 cans but takes up enough space on my storage shelf as 24 cans. So its not really space efficient for me. Oh well. Looks like ill keep looking for a solution.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:45 AM »
I made one the other day out of an old science project backboard i found in my garage. It works great. My only problem is it holds 12 cans but takes up enough space on my storage shelf as 24 cans. So its not really space efficient for me. Oh well. Looks like ill keep looking for a solution.

I had pretty much the same experience ShannonB.  I made my own. I did 2 of them and they were both disasters. I wanted to use really sturdy cardboard and glue as well as tape the edges.  When I was done it was way too big and didn't save any space. What was worse was that after a while the cans didn't even roll right. I finally ended up trashing them.

my can organizers from http://www.canorganizer.com/ have been in service for about an year and are doing well.

I ended up purchasing some organizers from there as well. I got 8 and was very pleased at how easy they were to put together. The way they fit together in the slots and the general thickness of the cardboard make me think it will hold up pretty well.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:47 AM »
I found an unintended problem with the can-rotation shelves.

My 1 year old loves playing with them!

I have no idea which row has what, and it's all out of order. Not too big of a deal, this is the kitchen pantry, so the can rotators are for high-turnover canned goods anyhow.

Just something to plan for if you have little ones. These contraptions are great toys!

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:48 AM »
LOL, Its not just the kids,  I have 1 small can rack that holds the spagetti-o's and raviolies for the kids.  I spent WAY too much time "Playing" with it while I was organizing it.    Kept changing the sequence, do I want 4 can's of o's up front followed by 4 can's of raviolies, or cycle them every other can?  Etc, Etc.   

:-[ :-[ :-[