Author Topic: Sportsmansguide  (Read 24897 times)

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
Sportsmansguide
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:08:29 AM »
www.sportsmansguide.com

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted a review yet.

Sportsmansguide has replaced Cheaper than Platinum as my go-to gear & surplus shop.  They have a great selection, and a good rotating stock of different survival and surplus item.

I have joined the buyer's club, and definetly gotten my $$ out of it.

One thing to note, their list prices aren't always the cheapest, but their shipping (at least to me) is INCREADIBLY cheap.  Just today I ordered 5 boxes of 30-30, 3 boxes of .17 hmr, 2500 rounds of .22 LR, a tow strap, two pairs of shoes, and three medic bags.  Shipping was....$19.99.  Often times when I compare prices to other sites, their shipping just blows the other sites away, and even though the list prices are more expensive, the total is cheaper.  Definitely compare prices though, on some items they can still be high (especially in the ammo if it is bulk/surplus compared to a place like AIM Surplus).

They also have great customer service.  I've returned several items for refunds or returns with no problems ever.  Great customer service.

Only problem I've ever had with them is that on one bulk order of 9mm (PMC), several of the boxes were actually mis-labeled (by them) .40 cal.  This pissed me off pretty bad (safety issue), but they set up a UPS pick up order and had UPS come to my house to pick up and return the ammo for a full credit, no hassle.  One other minor complaint is that when clicking through your order they default add "package protection," which just means that if your order gets lost in shipping they will immediately re-ship without waiting for shipper processing, etc, for $.99.  I don't mind them offering this, just that the box is checked by default annoys me.

When ordering from them, always do a search online for coupons, they almost always have a $10 off $100 order.

If you are a buyer's club member, they also have a 4-payment plan for orders over $150, with no fee or interest.  I haven't ever used it, but seems handy for a large order.

Overall, A++ from me.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
Re: Sportsmansguide
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:38 AM »
I used to work across the parking lot from their warehouse/bargain center/retail counter. That was dangerous. 

Get on their e-mail list and they periodically send out coupon codes right to your in box.

Nothing but great experiences with them.

Offline dracphelan

• Survivor
    • Gun Totin' Hippies
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »
I agree on Sportsman's Guide. I've been using them for years. One caveat, I know someone who made a really large ammo order from them that they canceled. They accused him of being a resaler based on the size of his order. And, when he explained that he was just stocking up, they would not re-instate the order.

Offline dabucnut

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
Love Sportsman's Guide. Their customer service is top notch, and buying thru their "buyers club" is worth the money. A two-thumbs up retailer for sure!  ;D

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:22 AM »
I've never had any problems with them... Good prices, and quick shipping.

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »
I will be the proverbial "stick in the mud". I really liked them at first, lots of unique stuff in military surplus, decent prices, etc. BUT i used the 4-pay plan a lot because i had rather have 1 big order than 4 little ones, then all of a sudden the last 3 larger orders i placed, they canceled them 2 days later, no reason other than "too big", "not our criteria"(whatever that means), "too many 4-pay orders" (i have had up to 6 at one time and they never had said anything before). So i am done with them, They don't have anything i can't get from someone else. Just this old geezers .02 (and sour grapes, ;D)

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 07:25:38 AM »
This thread couldn't have come up again at a better time. I'm going to be buying a bunch of stuff for a handgun class and Sportsmans Guide has excellent prices. Was debating on buying the club membership. It appears it will be cost effective to do so.

Question: If I buy the club membership in the same order as my other stuff, do I get the discount?  Or is it better to buy the membership first, then place a new order with the membership number.  I ask because I added a bunch of stuff to cart, and added a membership, and the cart did not update the prices.

Don

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »
This thread couldn't have come up again at a better time. I'm going to be buying a bunch of stuff for a handgun class and Sportsmans Guide has excellent prices. Was debating on buying the club membership. It appears it will be cost effective to do so.

Question: If I buy the club membership in the same order as my other stuff, do I get the discount?  Or is it better to buy the membership first, then place a new order with the membership number.  I ask because I added a bunch of stuff to cart, and added a membership, and the cart did not update the prices.

Don

it should take effect on the first order.  When you finalize the order it should show the right price.

Offline Dr.Richard

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
Sportsmansguide is definately one of my primary vendors. I don't use them for everything but their prices are usually good - especially if you are a buyers club member. I've gotten more than my money's worth from the buyer's club. I use them mostly for camping / survival gear. Their prices for optics are not always the best - I've had better luck at www.opticsplanet.com . Sportsmansguide did have good prices on Steiner marine binoculars and mid-range bushnell spotting scopes. Likewise, while I have bought some ammo from Sportsmansguide, AIM Surplus usually has better prices, especially when one buys in case quantities like I do.

Dr. Richard

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 09:41:11 AM »
Love The Sportsman's Guide! I give them 95%, only had a few orders that were less than perfect. Buyers' Club pricing and privileges are great too! Ditto on thier email coupons, I get like one per week and it usually takes care of the shipping at least. It's also my opinion that the owner is a good, fair person.
 ;D

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 09:50:54 AM »
I got to say I love sportsman's guide too.  I have only had one bad experience and they fixed it as best they could. I bout some milsurp Pakistani ammo from the 70's. I know! Stupid. I agree. I figured if SG had them though they might be good at least for target practice. WRONG! About one third of each box was FTF. I think this may be partly because I bought half a tin so, it hadn't been sealed as well as if it had been still in the tin.  Anyway, I reported the problem to SG. They were unable to issue a refund since it was ammo, but immediately gave me a voucher that covered the cost of half my order and I got to keep the ammo (some of it was good after all) Furthermore, they listened to me and the next catalog I got I noticed that they had pulled the bad ammo.  Good people.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:54 AM »
I have ordered from them time to time. No complaints, but I have noticed their catalog isnt as hard core military, hunting camping gear as it used to be. Seems like A lot of Dollar store close out items in there.

Offline Steelheart

• Prepper
  • Just making it all work, somehow...
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 05:23:33 PM »
A long time Sportsmans Guide user here (been in the Buyer's Club lots too).Their Guide Gear brand stuff is either cheaply made or decent/good depending on the product.

Steelheart

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
Their retail outlet is pretty cool.  Unfortunatly, they didn't have anything I needed.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 09:14:11 PM »
Their retail outlet is pretty cool.  Unfortunatly, they didn't have anything I needed.

You can get anything from the catalog at the back counter. FYI.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »
You can get anything from the catalog at the back counter. FYI.

I know but then it isn't super cheap!  I did pick up a couple of boxes of Winchester Ranger SXT from the catalog order.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:47:39 PM »
The Sportsman's Guide is an awesome place.  I love their low prices and great selection.  At first I thought "wow this stuff is junk" but now I know better.  By the way for Christmas I will take anything on pages six through twenty eight.  And no Jack a lope's.c

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 08:38:59 PM »
I was going to start a new thread, bu hey, this on id here

It is easy to get a positive feeling about a company when you get or order on time and there is nothing wrong, but I think the true test come when there is a problem

I recently ordered a tent from SG and when  I got it quickly I was thrilled, till I found a defective zipper.  It is the first product defect that i have have had from them, So I couldn't hold it against them right a way.

One phone call that lasted about ten minutes and I had a return shipping label. Easy process.

I made my return and sooner that I would have thought I have my replacement tent that looks looks to be well made and without defect.  I could not be more pleased

Order was placed on 8-23 received tent 8-26. Defect found SG promptly provided return labels.  They got the return on 9-9 and it was shipped out the next day.  The replacement came in on 9-15. I can't ask better than that. three weel from order to replacement is not to bad

They have proven that they stad behind there products and have made a loyal customer.

I wrote a review of the tent in the camping section

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=21092.0

Offline CaptainRW

• Senior Survivalist
  • If you're in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK...
    • Cheshire County NH
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
Great deals and great service. A+ well recommended.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »
Just another follow up.  As part of a large order, I ordered a 12x12 czech camo net, which intended to use to cover up an ugly tarp-shed in my yard.

In the ad, it looks like this:

When I got it, part of the netting was that solid, but most of it was just net with 6"x6" squares spread with 2' gaps.  Not very covering up close.  Imagine this one with only 1/3 of the squares:

Called them a few minutes ago.  No hold time (I actually had to make the guy wait while I looked up my order #, because I figured I could pull it up while I was on hold or screwing around going through menus).

Gave a brief description, he just emailed me a pre-paid return label.

Awesome customer service.

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:10 AM »
FYI, the wife and I tried out our new Guide Gear ECWS Cold Weather sleep systems, they worked great at the BOL, in a tent at 30 degrees a few nights! ALMOST as good as the original Marine type systems....
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=619996

Offline HillbillyHemi

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »
Count me in as a fan of Sportsmansguide. I buy most of my ammo and surplus items from them. As a previous post said not always the cheapest price but when you factor in shipping they almost always win.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Don't forget to check out their bargain outlet...http://www.bargainoutfitters.com

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 12:57:47 PM »
I have used SG for years. They are a good company.  But some of their super cheap surplus ammo is total junk.  Watch out for the Paki 9mm it is dirty as hell and it seems that the loads vary a lot from round to round.  You do get what you pay for!

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:43 AM »
I have used SG for years. They are a good company.  But some of their super cheap surplus ammo is total junk.  Watch out for the Paki 9mm it is dirty as hell and it seems that the loads vary a lot from round to round.  You do get what you pay for!

I actually got burned on that same ammo.  However, I wrote the company and complained.  They said they couldn't issue a full refund because it is ammo, but gave me half my money back in store credit.  And I haven't seen it in there since.  Did you buy some recently?  I'm curious if they started carrying it again.  If you did just get it, I'd write and complain.

Offline dracphelan

• Survivor
    • Gun Totin' Hippies
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 07:32:09 AM »
Do not do business with Sportsman's Guide!

The past year has seen an incredible downturn in service. I used to be able to make an order in the morning and it would go out the same day. This past year, it has taken them 2-3 days minimum to ship the order. My most recent order has been the last draw. I placed an order on November 11 (Thursday). Yesterday (Tuesday, 11/16), I called asking if they knew when it would ship (some of the stuff I need this weekend). The person I spoke with told me that it was boxed up and would ship that day, they had been waiting on the last bit of my order before shipping it. I was OK with this, because it normally takes 3 days to get to me once it has shipped. Well, this morning, I checked my order status and it had not shipped. I call, and they do not have even a good explanation or an apology. The service from this company has become completely unacceptable. I canceled my order, and will be now scrambling to find the items I need by Sunday. The sad part is, I could have ordered the same items I needed from Cabela's yesterday, and they would have had them at my door by Friday for almost the same amount of money.

Offline red123matt

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
overall they are a decent company for the price.  you have to be in their members club to get the decent deals though.  much of their stuff is china quality which works fine for those items that you want to stock up with volume and not quantity.  i've purchased their LED flashlights at 4 for $20 and have been happy with them.  also, bought some crank lanterns for scouts which are decent quality at $6 each.  however, not sold on their ammo prices but they are not outrageous either.  i think they provide good prices on filler items.  they have a 60 knife deal for like $30.  this is a decent deal to have knives for use in a bunch of places.  just be ready to realize they are disposable knives for the most part.  would like to see their freeze-dried food selection expanded as that is the place that i could really use their value.  we shall see.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2010, 05:31:30 AM »

Sorry, just saw your note for the first time.

Actually, that's quite true of all Paki ammo. There was some Paki .308 on the market a while back and everyone who got some regretted it. Not only dirty as all get out, but poor and uneven ballistics, and worst of all, even though Boxer primed, the brass was so erratic that reloading it represented a death wish. Don't blame SG for Paki ammo - know your ammo.

Offline Vindictus

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and found that Sportsmansguide has 7.62x54r on sale in bulk. So I bought 900rds for $200! I made the purchase on Thursday the 12/3. Now they are saying it won't SHIP until 12/24!!! I'm a patient man but, com'on!
Oh, which reminds me, I know it's cheaper ammo and it SAYS non-corrosive but, how safe is it really? I just don't want to screw up my "new"(to me anyway) rifle.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
I recently purchased a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and found that Sportsmansguide has 7.62x54r on sale in bulk. So I bought 900rds for $200! I made the purchase on Thursday the 12/3. Now they are saying it won't SHIP until 12/24!!! I'm a patient man but, com'on!
Oh, which reminds me, I know it's cheaper ammo and it SAYS non-corrosive but, how safe is it really? I just don't want to screw up my "new"(to me anyway) rifle.

Can you screw up a mosin?