Author Topic: Sportsmansguide  (Read 24910 times)

inbox485

Re: Sportsmansguide
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
I have to say I don't care for Sportsman's Guide (or Cheaper Than Dirt for the same reason) due to their anti-CA shipping policies. Both of them have basically said they disprove of certain CA's gun laws, so until repealed they won't ship a laundry list of perfectly legal items to CA. Annoying as that is (because they are both otherwise decent companies IMO), a lot of smaller sellers and even CA gun shops take their no ship list as poor man's legal advice and perpetuate it.

Offline gobblerblaster

• Prepper
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 08:12:57 PM »
Well, I don't live in CA but, I used to. I have ordered a lot of stuff from the S.G. and have found them to be a good source for a lot of merchandise that you would pay a lot more for anywhere else. At the risk of starting a rift my first night on the forum, I can understand why the S.G. does not want to mess with shipping questionable and probably firearms related items to CA. I work at a Pawn /Firearms shop part time and as I mentioned, was a CA resident from 1982 to 1991. The bottom line is that CA. has some of the most intrusive, complex and restrictive firearm and firearm components laws there is. I know where I work, we would rather just pass on shipping to CA than take the time to go through the red tape to find out whether what we are shipping is legal this month or not. The Sportsman's Guide gets a thumbs up from Oklahoma.

inbox485

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »
Not an uncommon sentiment, and I don't think anybody is going to give you a hard time for being open. CA laws aren't all that fun, but they are a lot more clear cut than that. Especially when it comes to what can be shipped in from out of state. They are painfully clear on that. When both SG and CTD have been cornered on the legality of items, their final response is usually something to the effect that they are doing it to try to motivate CA gun owners to repeal the AWB. In other words it is a political move rather than simply a buisness decision. At least EBay/Paypal can simply claim that they are making a business decision to not mess with anything gun related. SG and CTD are just taking low blows. That said, I won't pick on you if you shop with them - I just choose not to. ;)

Offline NickThompson

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:45 PM »
I love sportsman guide! I have gotten many things from that seller. I have to admit, it is great stuff :) Takes awhile to ship, I don't mind that though. Good quailty products

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »
I ordered something from them a couple weeks ago.  Their Amazon store said it was back ordered and would ship June 12.  That was ok for me.  The order was placed at about 9 p.m., the very next day I received an e-mail that the new date was June 18 for shipping.  That was too late.  I e-mailed them and asked them to cancel the order.   It was immediately canceled.   The next day I looked again and it said that the item was in stock.  I ordered it and it was delivered within a week. 

This is all great, but when I contacted  them why couldn't they just let me know it was now in stock and they would ship it?

I will buy again from them, but I will make sure that what I'm ordering is in stock.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:51 AM »
Fritz,

I used to do retail at Toys R Us and the truth was that we really didn't know when stuff would come to us from the manufacturer.  We had trucks come every day, but we could never tell you what was coming in, just what had arrived. Like some days we wouldn't have any copies of Zelda, but then all of sudden the next day we'd get 30.   The only times we knew when stuff was coming in was if they were special orders like Wiis

I don't know that was what happened with you and Sportsmansguide, but it is a definite possibility.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
That's what I figured happened.  My issue was that one day it said it would be on the 12th, the next the 18th, the next it was in stock.  I will just make sure that in the future that the item is in stock before ordering.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 09:54:04 AM »
That's what I figured happened.  My issue was that one day it said it would be on the 12th, the next the 18th, the next it was in stock.  I will just make sure that in the future that the item is in stock before ordering.

Yeah, that is BS.  There webmaster or whoever really should keep that up to date.  But I guess things happen

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 01:55:04 PM »
They have a package of 12 wool blankets for 60 bucks right now. Good time to stock up.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
Yep you can screw up MN - shoot the corrosive ammo in warm humid environment and never clean up afterwards.   

If it's new  - well manufacture should be non-corrosive.  If it comes in a spam can it might just be mildly corrosive.

Use the cure all for that sort of ammo - Windex quick clean at the range, and a "bath" at home.

I have used sportsmen a few time - some good stuff - and some not so good.  You have to keep an eye on some of their goods....not always a cheap price.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
sportsmanguide make me soooo angry---send me a e-mail (something on sale) 5 minutes to read e-mail call them--NOPE we are out of that & NO back order I had some things on order for over a year every month(Same old crap excuse) soon--- yea right---I finally cancelled order Never to waste my time with them again.
Keebler.