Author Topic: Scrounging  (Read 24035 times)

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
Scrounging
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:04:09 PM »
When you're thinking about DIY projects, think about scrounging what you need.

I picked up a bunch of steel tubing (14 gauge) in 6' and 8' lengths. Plus some 8' pieces in "L" shape. We should have enough to build a 100' greenhouse. We also picked up a bunch of 2'x4' wood bench seats (for saunas) that we're going to use for a chicken pen. We got some glass doors in wood frames we're going to make into cold frames. Plus some side panels for the saunas that we think will make some good rabbit hutches. Only cost was gas to haul it away.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Scrounging
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
And scrounging can work both ways if you have a "surplus" and give others the opportunity to make a better use of your excess rather than tossing it in a dumpster.  For our theatrical sets, we usually put it all together with 3" drywall screws so it can be taken back apart, but one year they went "cheap" on us and tried to save some money by hiring a regular construction contractor to build our annual Sloss Fright Furnace event.  And he used regular construction technique and a nailguns to shoot the set together.  It was over a mile long "Terror Trail" with 3 stages, and two houses that were built on site.  In the end, it took me a month and over $1000.00 worth of crowbars and sledge hammers to bust it all apart.  Needless to say we had a lot of broken 2x4's that "we" couldn't reuse for this set, but knowing that funding is pretty tight for the local schools for their Theater Arts programs, I called all the local highschools that had theater departments, told them what I had, and offered it to them for the taking.  I was amazed when I had 12 school buses from 12 different highschools and Jr. Colleges show up within an hour and my house sized pile of broken 2x4's was gone by lunch.  I even called the dumpster folks back and cancelled 2 out of the three dumpster I had ordered for the stuff.

Tim.

Pokethis

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »
yeah, I've been thinking of ways to aquire materials that are scrapped.  How were you able to aquire your items?  I work on and off as a wood floor installer and come across a variety of stuff but haven't really taken advantage of it yet.  Gearing up for some stuff though.  I often come across people that want to get rid of stuff and they'll give it free if you just haul it off.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 10:44:07 PM »
I had first hand knowledge of the company closing.  :'(

Pokethis

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 11:27:25 PM »
Good for you Tim!  Great way to spread the resources locally! 

I'm sure we can think of ways to scrounge.  Tell us your stories!

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 02:45:54 PM »
craigslist and freecycle are a source.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 07:07:57 PM »
Good for you Tim!  Great way to spread the resources locally! 

I'm sure we can think of ways to scrounge.  Tell us your stories!

I just couldn't see throwing "usable" lumber away, especially with a known need. 

Another "idea" for scrounging is going to the various mini-storage places and offering to clean out the spaces in return for whats left behind.  Most mini-storage places have regular auctions too of the spaces that people have quit paying on, so there's another idea.  Not exactly "free", but I've seen them go for as little as $10.00 for a full storage space.

Tim.

Pokethis

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:20:16 PM »
On another thread, bakery stores and fast food restaurants use buckets and you might be able to pick up some of these from them for container gardening.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
I encourage scrounging by setting things I don't need on the curb next to a busy street with a sign "Free!" attached.

This year I set on the curb:

- a 17" CRT monitor
- a sewing machine
- a baby door gate
- an old bicycle
- two tower stereo speakers
- a busted lawn mower
- a pottery wheel

None of these items sat at the curb more than two hours. It made me happy knowing these items found a home with someone who wanted them.

This year I scrounged FROM other people's curbside trash:

- a BBQ grill
- a nice wooden stool
- a propane camping grill
- a florescent light fixture

Scrounging is cool.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »
There was just an Antiques Roadshow all about people who found stuff in the garbage.

Offline MamaGator

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »
Great ideas

Tash, Mrs. Tash and I used pallets that were being discarded to build my compost bins.  Pretty cool!

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 07:45:31 AM »
Ok, I admit it , Im a scrounge!

I was down at my local landfill the other day and came across a great find.  I saw peeking out of the scrap steel container an 8 quart cast iron dutch oven.  It is 12" in diameter and 6 inches deep, all covered with surface rust , but with a little cleaning it came back to new.  Now its nicely seasoned and ready to go . 

While I have cooked in a dutch oven before, this morning, it dawned on me on how to make it more usable.  When I was stoking the wood furnace, I recognized that the coals would be perfect to cook with.  If I got myself an old 30 or 55 gallon drum and cut the last 4 inches of it, that would make a real nice contained pan to place the dutch oven into with the coals from the wood furnace.  I imagine that if I placed it on some bricks I could use it whole thing right out on my picnic table, kind of like a large hibatchi. 

Another thought was to find a small metal masons pan, the kind you mix morter in.  We use to use those when I was a leader in boy scouts for the kids to practice fire building in.  All the mess is contained in the pan and it dosnt burn or ruin the surface its placed on when elevated on bricks. 

I will try to post some pictures of this when I can get all the parts together

So it looks like Im going to have to get out to scrounge again!

And by the way while I was happy to get my new found dutch oven , I also found scrap lumber Im going to use to build some cold frames!  One persons trash is anothers treasure!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
What a find! +1!!

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 07:11:09 PM »
I was down at my local landfill the other day and came across a great find.  I saw peeking out of the scrap steel container an 8 quart cast iron dutch oven.

Schweet!

Our city landfill doesn't allow scrounging because of liability concerns.

That's a darn shame.  I found some awesome stuff there in the past.  I built my kids a 10'x10' super-cool playhouse totally from real wood siding and lumber I found there.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:41:25 AM »
I was down at my local landfill the other day and came across a great find.  I saw peeking out of the scrap steel container an 8 quart cast iron dutch oven.
Schweet!
Our city landfill doesn't allow scrounging because of liability concerns.

Yep, no scrounging at the local landfills here either, but then they back over an employee a month without the distraction of having people digging through the piles.

Tim.

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Some of you call it scrounging but I call it dumpster diving, curb shopping, and back door shopping. Most of my 'stead came from this methodology.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:03 PM »
Dumpster diving is such a messy term..

I perfer to call it Creative Recycling!  anywhere, anytime!

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
If anyone lives near a college, make sure you go there on the last day of class. I live a few blocks away from some off campus apartments and I always find several half full containers of laundry detergent, trash bags, light bulbs, vacuum cleaners, etc. These kids just leave everything behind.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
If anyone lives near a college, make sure you go there on the last day of class. I live a few blocks away from some off campus apartments and I always find several half full containers of laundry detergent, trash bags, light bulbs, vacuum cleaners, etc. These kids just leave everything behind.

Add TEXTBOOKS to that list!  Any of them!  There's usually more than one "Used Textbook" store near/on any campus that will buy them if they are in usable condition.

Tim.

Offline Trash

• Survivalist Mentor
  • headin' home
    • Living with Trash
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 06:21:48 AM »
lets not forget all them electronic goodies these kids throw awy. I have gotten several ipods, mp3 players, laptops, desktops, phones caluulators, dvd players, yese even vcrs. (both which just needed cleaning) and other home electronics.
And these are the youngins that are gonna work on FDR road projects.. hahaha the throw away kids.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 07:56:30 AM »
lets not forget all them electronic goodies these kids throw awy. I have gotten several ipods, mp3 players, laptops, desktops, phones caluulators, dvd players, yese even vcrs. (both which just needed cleaning) and other home electronics.
And these are the youngins that are gonna work on FDR road projects.. hahaha the throw away kids.

A lady at work has found laptops and such from kids in college.  I can't get my head around the idea that a kid would just throw away a laptop.  But I will be out at Gannon university waiting.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »

Cool idea!

My daughter rents a furnished college apartment in a huge complex in Austin, Texas.  They have a business model I'd never seen.  Every semester they throw away the cheap particle board furniture in the vacated apartments and put in new.  Tractor trailers drop shipping containers full of this new, cheap furniture in the parking lots.  Teams of Mexicans haul it to the apartments and assemble it.

The trash dumpsters are overflowing with slightly-broken chest of drawers, end tables, and computer desks.  I made for my daughter two nighstands, a TV entertainment center, and a huge set of bookshelves with a just a box of wood screws and my Makita screwgun in a little under two hours.

coffecat

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 07:31:28 PM »
Well, scrounging for little things.  I needed a bulb for a PETZL headlamp - I adore my headlamp and can do dishes in the dark, etc.  Over the internet I found one similar for a goodly amount of money.  Instead of ordering and all the stuff that goes with that, I took a toss-away flashlite out of someone's trash can and the tiny bulb works like a charm in my headlamp !!!!  From now on I am going to buy 10 cent old flashlites at yard sales and small things I think could conceivably become hard to get.  And of course check trash.  C.

Offline nano.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »
building material supply companies. Not Lowes or Depot, but smaller suppliers. I work for one currently and you always have "cull" lumber and plywood that comes back from jobsites that is too crappy for resell.. usually if we issue a credit, we write the stuff off and have a pile in the back for people to pick through if they want. Check your local listings and stop down there, especially with the economy the way it is, if they even have some stuff that they are discounting, you can get it for a fraction of what you'd normally pay and usually can dicker a pretty good price...

yeah, I've been thinking of ways to aquire materials that are scrapped.  How were you able to aquire your items?  I work on and off as a wood floor installer and come across a variety of stuff but haven't really taken advantage of it yet.  Gearing up for some stuff though.  I often come across people that want to get rid of stuff and they'll give it free if you just haul it off.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »
My mom once found a silver dining set at the local dump. Someone had thrown it away. A bit of polish and it was perfect.

Offline Hraz

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2009, 10:09:33 AM »
Remember colleges are getting out. Those kids throw a lot of good stuff away.

Offline Bloodyboots

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 11:46:03 PM »
Keep an eye out for building projects in your area, I've picked up about 90 feet! of 2x4 that the crews were going to throw away! The skids and boxes that most of their supplies come in are just junk to them! Including the 2x4s that the skids ride on. I just usually stop by, ask the foreman if I can pickup their "waste lumber" and they are glad for me to throw it in my truck. saves them from cleaning up, and it's not worth their time to return it.

Oh and for those of you who live near campi (campuses?) , keep an eye out for the local thrift store trucks, they are hunting for the good stuff too. We've picked up some nice cheap furniture and electronics at the local thrifts after graduation. Let them spend the time hunting, I'll buy it for 90% off!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 02:44:50 PM »
I just usually stop by, ask the foreman if I can pickup their "waste lumber" and they are glad for me to throw it in my truck. saves them from cleaning up, and it's not worth their time to return it.

Since they have to pay by the ton to take their waste lumber to the dump, you are saving them money by taking it.

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »

Remember colleges are getting out. Those kids throw a lot of good stuff away.

I furnished my first out-of-college place for $50 by buying and taking stuff left on the curb from places right off campus.  I even had the luxury of being choosy and I only took stuff that matched with other things that I had. 

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 12:27:04 PM »
I've always been a pack rat and scrounger. Join your local Freecycle you have to give away in order to receive. Recently we got a large meat smoker that just needed a little cleaning up.

My son goes dumpster diving at the dump. He says the best bin is the one for discarded metal. In the last few months he's found 3 wheelbarrows and maybe a half dozen propane tanks.

Thanks to the person who posted about getting buckets from stores/bakeries--he's already found several and the folks at the stores/bakeries said they would save them for him.

My daughter and I dismantled a large covered porch made of pressure treated wood from a business. They were going to bulldoze it and put it in the dump. Now I have most of the wood I need to build a deck.

I get people to give me their old jeans. They can be cut up to make: heavy duty aprons, totes, quilt tops, etc. I'm making "heating pads" now--cut 2 squares or rectangles of jean fabric, sew on 3 sides, fill with salt, close open end. My grandma did this when I was a child. Place the bag of salt near a heat source til it gets hot. Great for when you need a heating pad and there's no electricity.

Save your old broom/mop handles: use to replace broken handles on garden tools, wheelbarrows, etc.