Author Topic: Scrounging  (Read 24034 times)

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
Re: Scrounging
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
...I encourage scrounging by setting things I don't need on the curb next to a busy street with a sign "Free!" attached....

I call this "curb shopping". I have picked up furniture, lights, bicycles, etc... makes my family nutz that I find the deals.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 11:25:29 PM »
I just got a job offer, cleaning out foreclosed houses.
There's a lot of legalities involved with any property of value, but I expect I'll be doing a lot of scrounging of the "junk" I'm paid by the cubic meter to haul to the dump.

Score!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 11:37:43 PM »
Forgot the gratuitous duster diving photo, sorry ;D

Copyright 1972

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
I just got a job offer, cleaning out foreclosed houses.

HOLY CRAP!!!!   :o :o :o :o  That is like freakin Christmas, and yer' Birthday, everyday when you go to work!!!!!!

My wife would leave me if I worked at the dump!  I hate going there.  I'm allways seeing stuff I want to bring home!

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 01:38:43 AM »
FYI: Do not give your bride to be a used(free from dumpster) vacuum cleaner for Valentines day. Happily married for 7 and 1/2 years, but she doesn't let me forget that. :-[

Copyright 1972

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 08:34:01 AM »
LOL!   :D

I'm a lucky boy in that Dept.  If we needed one, and it worked, she would be good with it.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 04:19:11 PM »
HOLY CRAP!!!!   :o :o :o :o  That is like freakin Christmas, and yer' Birthday, everyday when you go to work!!!!!!

neener neener neener
pbbbbbbth!
(raspberry) :P

The the potential to fill my abode with "treasures" outweighs the lack of pay and benefits. (paid by the job)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »
neener neener neener
pbbbbbbth!

The the potential to fill my abode with "treasures" outweighs the lack of pay and benefits. (paid by the job)
Lucky Dog!!

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
There is a guy in Hollywood who has made an entire recording studio out of equipment that he salvaged from the dumpsters of the big studios.

Copyright 1972

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »
neener neener neener
pbbbbbbth!

:'(

sniff.......

Well like I allways say, if it can't be me, it might as well be you!

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 08:35:17 PM »
good for you, soccer grannie
The guy across the street from me makes a good living with his pickup and trailer. He goes out the night before garbage day and collects everything recyclable. Why let the trash man have for free what can be sold for cash?

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »
Lucky Dog!!

Not really, my boss just quit. :-\
Seems he was tired of the company paying him late.

So, back to the job hunting. Maybe I can find another company doing the same thing. In the mean time, Here's my loot from the past two days:
Day one,

1. Misc lighters n matches
2. Over sized coin purse
3. Loose change
4. Small chrome Salt n pepper shakers
5. Tent stakes
6. thesaurus
7. Pool test strips
8. Rubber cork (was new in wrapper when found)
9. Two rounds of .25 auto
10. ACER Backup laptop battery pack (no idea if it works, but it should fit my spare laptop)
11. pocket new testament
12. Scissors
13. Copper ladle
14. Nice n fancy ball point pen (small promotional label)
15. Detachable key ring
16. Digital stopwatch
17. 4x3 American flag

1. About twenty feet of five foot high two inch poultry netting
2. Pick axe heads
3. Galvanized steel folding cot with canvas center (this one can actually support my lard but)
4. Two solar powered lawn lights, with on off switches and hanging hooks (will probably need replacement batteries, AA rechargeable with highest mili amp rating  can find)
5. Four 5 gallon water bottles (will need to clean and disinfect thoroughly before use. needs lids)

Day two:
Just one job, slim pickings. These people actually cleaned up before they left.

1. Busted football, (will make a nice pool toy)
2. Scissors
3. Jewelers hack saw (blade needs replacing)
4. Non marring hammer, minus brass heads
5. Folding roll away bed

All you unemployed out there, find a "repo property preservation" company, business is booming.
They're contracted out through the lender.

Now get back to scrounging everybody!

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 01:43:58 AM »
That is a serious score CD!

I just can not believe the perfectly good stuff sheeple throw away...

Copyright 1972

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
Well just let me say this:  "Cave Dweller, you suck sour Lemons!"  LOL!!!   ;D

I have GOT to get on yer' Christmas list!

Keep the updates commin'!

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »
Add TEXTBOOKS to that list!  Any of them!  There's usually more than one "Used Textbook" store near/on any campus that will buy them if they are in usable condition.

Tim.

You can also put them on Ebay and usually get more than the used bookstore will pay.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 05:27:38 PM »
You can also put them on Ebay and usually get more than the used bookstore will pay.

I wouldn't doubt that.  The bookstores do NOT pay very much, but it is an option.  Thanks for that hint IG!

Tim.

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »
I've dumpster dived forever...but the most memorable find was behind a major building supply store.  They had always piled the stuff they wanted taken on the back curb, and one day I drove by and there was stacks of those warehouse racks.  Sixteen foot uprights, nine foot spanners.  I went in to see the manager, and when I asked her if they were getting rid of the racks, she said yes.  I told her that I would save her the manpower and expense required to haul it away.  She said that they wouldn't make enough at the scrapyard to make up for the labor and trucking involved, so I could have it if I took all of it.  No problem...I got all I could stack on three 16' trailer loads, and was probably more than I should have been towing with a half-ton pickup.  Since then, I've built a 20X30' shop, a 36X18' lean-to equipment shed, an 8X36' back porch (I scrounged all of this project, even the rafters and tin), and I'm using more of the same to build a greenhouse (one I'll be able to lift and move with the tractor loader).  What my wife saw as just more loads of junk was really a blessing...ain't it funny how two pair of eyes see the same thing in total contrast?

Offline Imperial Goat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My 1985 Summer Vacation
    • If It Hits The Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 08:25:46 AM »
Mobilus, I think you win for best score so far!

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »
 *stands up* Hi my name is Dawgus, and I'm a scrounger.

I'm a well known jobsite dumpster scrounger while at work. It sometimes amazes me what some of these contractors throw away. I can't being to think about how much lumber I have gotten out of dumpsters. A few years ago I was working on a shoe store that closed, and the laborers were taking perfect 4x8x2ft 3/4" plywood shelf units outside and smashing them apart. I had them set 6 of them aside, and came back later that day for them...instant garage shelving. The same place got me 6 fire extuingshers just because they were a few years old. I had them tested and refilled for 25% of the cost of buying them new. 5 years ago I got 4 buckets of drywall mud and 2 boxes of screws, just because it was over-ordered for the job. Guys laugh at me for picking up handfulls of nails and screws off the floor at a time, but those shelf units I talked about are all now full of them. I haven't bought a nail or screw in at least 7 years.
 My garden sink/chicken cleaning station is made totally from materials from jobsites,including the sink torn out of a resturant. My irrigation system for my strawberries is made from cpvc pipe thrown away because it got mortar spillied on it. I honestly miss the free stuff almost more than I miss a regular paycheck.

AC

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2010, 03:12:16 AM »
Scrounging rules!

And always give back when you can, leave stuff out for other scroungers or put a notice on Craig's List or Freecycle and feel the fun of giving things away.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »
Working at a middle school now and DANG do they throw away a lot of books.

Offline CopperKnight

• Survivor
  • A protective shell is sometimes open space.
    • Survival WWYD
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
I see a couple of comments on here about Craigslist, but as a scrounger what you really want to do is check the "free" area of the website. 

Go to your local area page and check the categories.  You don't even have to put effort into searching if you are looking for something simple like lumber. 

Right now there are at least 4 listings for free lumber in my area posted over the past two days.  These listings go all spring and summer in the north.  Most of it is torn down sheds, porches or fences, but I have a couple of pre-teen monkeys that can pull nails with a claw hammer and run a drill to take out screws. 

It's not always pretty wood, but building yard stuff like a greenhouse frame or a bench with once used lumber is OK by me.

Currently there are even two listings for free cedar shingles for those of you who run a wood stove in the winter.  There's nothing better that for kindling.

Offline luke

• Anarchocaprivore
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
Hi, My name is Luke, and I am (was) a Dumpster Diver.

I did this in college with friends; we'd hit up local office supply stores (I still don't need to buy envelopes and donated a lot of them to a local non-profit), tech businesses (the crappy computer stores don't throw much away but try to find a defense contractor), and cell phone companies. I must have made about $1000 or so selling "used" things on ebay and half.com. We only had the police called on us once or twice (we researched the law to make sure we were legal and not "stealing".) The cop just asked us to not go back to that place (Radio Shack) and we didn't find anything good there anyways. Now, another radio shack, well I still have junk that I'll never use from there!

I give stuff away, too. Last summer I had a freezer out at the end of the driveway for my trash company to come pick up. I think they were even going to charge me to pick it up. Someone in a pickup came and took it for me, and since I was working in the garage, I gave them an old microwave, too. Saved me money getting rid of it!

I think it's time to get back into the business.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
Remember colleges are getting out. Those kids throw a lot of good stuff away.

It's that time again.  College students are moving in.  Check your local apartments for discarded goodies.

Offline 18C Troll

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »
Howdy, Ive just started doing this and have made some decent money.  I pick up old electronics and tear them apart for the base metals. Separate the aluminuim from the copper, steel, and wires  and put them in 5 gal buckets. Its been pretty good.  Im working on putting together a book and maybe some youtube videos.  It takes me 7 minutes to disassemble a tube TV, just about any size, then about 15 to separate it.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2010, 12:43:13 PM »
I end up with alot of stuff off the local freecycle network.

There is one guy that is on there every couple of weeks who has a bunch of rental houses. When people move out he moves everything they leave behind into the front yard and puts up a listing. You would not believe some of the stuff I've gotten on those deals- gas cans, cans of paint, all kinds of garden chemicals, a lawn mower, couple of ladders and a scaffold, extension cords, several pieces of furniture, a few tools-tons of building materials.

I monitor the site every day and hustle over to the location as soon as he posts!

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
yes all good spots, store closings, job sights, new home building sights, but the one that got me was sears dumpster
in st louis at one of the malls thay take out the trash or broken tools on saturday morning early there were 2 older friends of mine that made it a date every saturday to dumpster dive there then go to breakfast then to the flea market to look for sears tool cheep then back to sears to trade them in. teamsters ,yah like they needed the money just did it for fun.
driver in the citys can help send you to the right place or person.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »
in st louis at one of the malls thay take out the trash or broken tools on saturday morning early there were 2 older friends of mine that made it a date every saturday to dumpster dive there then go to breakfast then to the flea market to look for sears tool cheep then back to sears to trade them in. teamsters ,yah like they needed the money just did it for fun.
driver in the citys can help send you to the right place or person.

If you don't mind me asking, which location was/is that? Do they still do so?

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2010, 08:08:58 PM »
so to day i get a call, a house is to be torn down . take anything you need.
the place is full and they had snakes in the house with dogs. it was bad smell the garage is full of usfull  things.
i didnt get much but passed it to others who could use it now. I dont want to move it.

scrounging, scraping , better use than the dump.

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
Being in the surplus business, you could say I scrounge for a living, even if much of it involves buying.

I helped a friend buy 200 wood bunk beds that had been removed from barracks- all wood aside from the springs.

Everyone else saw bunk beds, and used bunk beds are hard to sell.

He saw lumber. In the bunk beds there were 400 2"x6"x8'  and 600 1"x8"x3.5' boards and 800 2"x"x3' square posts.

Almost his entire hunting/BO cabin is built from bunk bed lumber.