Author Topic: 3M Dual Lock vs. 'regular' Velcro  (Read 5725 times)

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
3M Dual Lock vs. 'regular' Velcro
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:05:25 PM »

I happened to see Mark Rose's question about possibly using Velcro to secure a spare gas can in his trunk, and it got me to searching. I have seen no reference on the forum to what I consider to be the hands-down replacement for Velcro... 3M's Dual Lock fasteners. Have a look at the following link: http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001014.php

It is, apparently, the same fastening tape used for the windshield toll road tags that are so popular now.

My job requires me to work aboard boats, using highly sensitive electronic gear, whether the seas are calm or not (within physical limits, as always). We use any and all methods at our disposal to secure our very expensive kit to anything that is stable. We laugh at Velcro unless it is used to simply tidy-up the miles of cabling needed to network our sonar survey systems.

3M's Dual Lock is THE product of choice to temporarily secure massive objects on our survey boats (like computer CPU's, battery UPS', computer monitors (especially before CRT's were replaced with LCD's), gps receivers, antennae, you name it.

I believe other manufacturers make a similar product. It is easy to distinguish the difference between Dual Lock fasteners and Velcro-types: Dual Lock does not use a hook-and-loop system, but, rather, the mating pieces are populated with many tiny, rigid 'mushroom' forms that mate together with absolute certain feedback. In other words, you know when this stuff is locked-in, and it holds position with no 'give' or weakness.

I have personally witnessed three square inches of this product holding a ~11 pound, 27" LCD television monitor steady as a rock while the boat was being rolled 10 degrees port and starboard for over thirty minutes (that was a fun morning!). The fasteners come apart with mild prying at the edges and the adhesive backing to the strips will not fail as you are prying the fasteners apart. I keep this stuff around my house, shop and in my glove box. It is sold by the roll or by pre-cut strips.

I am not talking about Velcro's product which they call Velcro Industrial. It still uses a hook-and-loop mechanism. Any product that has one of the mating strips composed of a loose fabric is not comparable to the 3M Dual Lock fasteners. Look for a fastener system that has rigid 'hooks' or 'mushrooms' on both mating strips and you will be amazed. Seriously. I've seen salty old dogs, who have been sailing since Moby Dick was a guppy, who swore up and down this stuff would fail and cause no end of expensive damage. They always eat their words later.

Disclosure: I have no financial interest in any of the manufacturers of the products I mention. Also, I welcome any corrections or additions to my statements.

mtman

Re: 3M Dual Lock vs. 'regular' Velcro
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
I'd want some of that just to play with (dogs, kids...wife).

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:06:48 AM »
I've used some of this stuff mounting test equipment in vehicles. It is top notch stuff.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »
Always called it 'super velcro' - I will vouch for this stuff. When I was younger and into RC cars, this was the stuff for holding radio components and batteries to the chassis.

(Had a RC10L pan car... raced on carpet tracks. Dual compound tires, Ti drive shafts, fun stuff. Learned a lot about battery charging / discharging.)