Author Topic: Body Armor  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Tinker

• Prepper
Body Armor
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
After Ferfal's blog, Surviving in Argentina, I have begun searching for some body armor in case TSHTF. I live near an Army base and sometimes see Interceptor OTVs listed. Point Blank's website says "Point Blank's Military version of the Interceptorâ„¢ OTV is manufactured for the sole use of the United States Military. Resale of the Military version of the Interceptorâ„¢ OTV to persons other than the United States Military is prohibited and subject to legal action."

The vests I see come with the neck and groin inserts, but no ballistics plates. I see similar items listed on ebay. Since I am a civilian though, is it illegal for me to purchase these?

millerized1

Re: Body Armor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
http://bulletproofme.com/sb.shtml
It's a sale going on right now for those vests.  They're the real thing, and not stolen or "misplaced" like you'd usually find near a .mil installation.  While these vests usually stop pistol, they won't usually stop rifle.  The rifle plates are available here: http://bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Accessories_Rifle_Protection.shtml

Yes, anyone can buy them.  Anyone can own them, but get caught wearing one while committing a crime, things could get a little strange when the cops show up. Just don't get caught selling them to Achmed, either.

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:57:02 PM »
www.BulletProofMe.com are great folks to deal with. I'd stick with the 'legit' sources myself... because if it is too good to be true... it usually is  >:(

James Yeager

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:01 AM »
Since I am a civilian though, is it illegal for me to purchase these?

Yes, as long as they are surplus and not stolen.

Offline Tinker

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »
There is some cosmetic damage to the flack vest (stains, ripped webbing), so the seller said the army didn't want them back. 

I found a lot of body armor being sold from Israel on ebay. Its made from GoldFlex and is rated as IIIA. Anyone have experiences with them?

Thanks

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
I have two views on armor.  First is that the claims and quality are largely self-certified by the manufacturer.  There is only one way to know if they are telling the truth.  You are betting your life on the honesty of the source, choose wisely.

Second, for me there are much better uses for $600 - $1,000 right now.

Offline Tinker

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »
for me there are much better uses for $600 - $1,000 right now.

Damn... thats some high end armor you are browsing. $600 is about the max I've seen for level IIIA - III protection. There may be better uses for that money, but I have my 3 B's squared away, and am now looking for specialized equipment. I've seen you post on another thread stating you don't believe we are in a depression. I disagree, and as more municipalities and states go bankrupt, violent crime will increase, and the police won't be able to protect you and your family.

claims and quality are largely self-certified by the manufacturer.

Is this true? Most armors I have seen are certified to comply with one of the NIJ 01.01.0x standards. Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding is that to receive this compliance, the armors must be independently tested by a third party... in this case, the National Institute of Justice. There are also international standards (ISO) which apply. Do you really think people entrust their lives to the promises of a corporation selling them something?

That being said, I do have concerns about the durability of various materials. It seems like every armor manufacturer I have looked into is involved in some form litigation concerning their product. Heat and humidity seem to be the main culprits in an armor's life span. Does anyone know of a lightweight Kevlar replacement that doesn't degrade rapidly in the presences of heat and humidity?

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Don't think these VESTS go bad in X # of years, I think it is a way for the companies to sell new armor ever so many years. Of course if you don't wear then much they will last a long time. Wear it everyday, and it (like anything else) will wear out...

Like Stein said, "You are betting your life on the honesty of the source, choose wisely." +1

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:33:02 PM »
This thread has some good info about life expectancy, etc. for body armor/vests.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=373.0