Author Topic: SURVIVAL PRIMER - OPERATING IN REDUCED LIGHT- swanson  (Read 4077 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
SURVIVAL PRIMER - OPERATING IN REDUCED LIGHT- swanson
« on: December 11, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »
SURVIVAL PRIMER - OPERATING IN REDUCED LIGHT

Part 1.

swanson

(First off, this is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to reduced light operations)

Whether you are a Law Enforcement/Military professional or the “average Joe” on the street, operating in conditions of darkness and/or reduced light is part of your lifestyle or profession to some degree every day.

Reduced light environments are a fact of life.

Anyone interested in personal security and survival must make a study of how best to operate and manage the potential threats and hazards that may be encountered in the relative darkness that surrounds them.

Operating in reduced light is not just a “night time” occurrence or affair.

When you step inside of any structure you may find yourself confronted with poor lighting conditions or darkness. You must learn to manage reduced light operating conditions with a proper approach, understanding, and the right set of tools.

YOUR EYES AND VISION

Vision anchors you to the direct reality of your personal and tactical environment.

Develop your understanding about how the eye interprets information in general as well as in reduced light conditions.

Here’s one of the slides I use on the subject of eyes, vision, and reduced light operating environments…

Here are some points to consider when getting a handle on understanding vision and how it effects the way we operate in reduced light and other survival critical conditions:

-   Our ability to properly navigate in our environment depends greatly on our visual input.

-   Proper physical balance and orientation is heavily dependent on visual input for even the most basic tasks.

-   The sympathetic nervous system (SNS) can be engaged rapidly resulting in an elevated heart rate and score of other affects when a fear or threat perception is obscured from vision, but present. Fear of the unknown will play with you and effect your judgment in reduced light conditions.

-   Vision is greatly depended upon for basic communication. We all deliver and receive messages from the things that populate our surroundings through visual input.

-   Vision is often the “tool” employed to verify what we feel may be occurring in our environment and directly effects how we judge things that may be crucial to our security and survival.

WHITE LIGHT

Most of us will employ a white light device of choice to penetrate darkness and better manage our environment. The every day carry of a flashlight should be a procedure adopted by anyone that takes safety and survival seriously.

If you are operating in a potentially hazardous or threatening environment and have a white light device, the following slide will give you some ideas as to how to better manage the dangers you might encounter…

What do you think?

What can you add?

This post edited to bring it into compliance with "Fair Use" policy

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 06:25:57 PM by ZenGunFighter »

Offline phil_in_cs

• Survivor
Re: SURVIVAL PRIMER - OPERATING IN REDUCED LIGHT- swanson
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
Surefire has a list of articles  on low light shooting:
http://www.surefireinstitute.com/page/articles_and_studies

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »
Here's another great low-light resource page from ken Good and Strategos international....

http://www.strategosintl.com/reading.html

swanson

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
I have found when trying check things out in the dark, I use my perferal vision more than direct line of site. When I look directly at something, I tend to get a black hole in the center. I dont know if thats everyone or just me. Try it sometime and let me know if it works for you.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »
ejsandstrom,

I have found in my experience, off-center vision what we use when operating without an artificial light source.

It has to do with the roads and cones of the eye.

I think that's what you are referring too as well.

swanson

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
<Hell, I am having a bad spelling error and grammar day...>

swanson

ejsandstrom,

I have found in my experience, off-center vision is what we use when operating without an artificial light source.

It has to do with the rods and cones of the eye.

I think that's what you are referring too as well.

swanson

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:12:36 PM »
This is a PDF with tons of application value to it...

Strategos had this posted on their website way back in the day for only a brief time, but here it is again for consumption...

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmdzujjhhai

swanson