Author Topic: Time and Cost of reloading  (Read 6971 times)

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
Time and Cost of reloading
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to post some time and costs that go into reloading.  All I am doing right now is .45 and it is on a single stage press. 
Per 100
~ 7 mins to decap and size
~ 5 mins to bell
~10 mins to prime (lee hand primer)
~19 mins to drop powder and seat the bullet

This works out to 41mins per 100.  Also, not included are setting up the dies (30 mins) and tumbling.  I am doing a run of 2000 rounds so the 30 mins of die setup doesn't end up being much in the end.  Depending on how dirty the cases are I sometimes clean the primer pocket also.

Cost:
Bullet = .12 (zero brand)
Case = .07 (once fired)
Primer = .03
Powder = .02
Total CPR = .24
I have used the same cases for a long time and picked up several hundred so I don't really count the case cost. Meaning the CPR = .17

The cheapest I can find is WWB at .35 CPR at Wal-Mart, if they actually have it in stock.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
Re: Time and Cost of reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »
This post convinced me to start reloading. Now.

I'm snagging some dies shortly, already have a press, to reload .45ACP - but my cases are dented (extractor/ejector issue with a new gun) after being flung a billion miles over my right shoulder. Mind if I toss you a photo/PM for some diagnostics? (i.e. safe to use, or scrapworthy)

I might even order another press/book combo from Lee. Seems to be all I need until I lose my mind and my wallet to Barrett Firearms.

Offline 19114life

• Survivor
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
I am not taking any liability by saying this, but I have reloaded alot of case that were dented or dinged.  Never had a problem.  Just be care full.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
Point taken.

It's just a little ding about the size of the tip of the extractor, but I know that's not where it's hitting - it's flipping out REALLY hard and dinging on the rear or aft bottom lip of the ejection port, and the ding is about the same spot as the base of the bullet when seated. I have a feeling seating the bullet would swage the ding back out.

I'll at least give it a try, right?

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:41:02 PM »
Sounds about right - taking my time, about 100 per hour with a single stage. I rarely do it all in one sitting though - usually I'll decap, size, bell and prime at one time and then come back another day and do powder / bullet seat.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
I ordered a bunch of Win match brass that had dings like you are talking about.  I have loaded and fired a lot of them.  The dings fire form out.  I have reloaded and fired some pretty beat up brass in the .45.  I only toss stuff that is cracked or the rim is bent or messed up.  The last time I was out I fired 15 or 20 shells with brass from 1945 and 1948, that I had picked up the trip before.  It was Win match brass and I have since put it in the scrape pile. I am liberal with my .45 because it is a lower pressure round. 

SAAMI:
45 Auto - 21,000 psi
9mm Luger - 35,000 psi
40 S&W - 35,000 psi
454 Casull - 65,000 psi

The real savings comes from top end rifle rounds
A box of 20 168 grn Win silver tips is 34.99 /20 ($1.75 CPR) at Midway USA
I can load shells custom to my gun with the same bullet for:
.41 bullet
.03 Primer
.13 for powder
.31 brass
=.88 CPR I traded a bunch of 30-06 for a bunch of .308 so the brass was free making it .57 CPR for top end hunting ammo. I can’t imagine what match shooters save since match ammo is $40 + a box around here.

If you can get brass cheap or free the saving is huge.  Rifle rounds get loaded 4 or 5 times and pistol rounds get loaded until there is a problem with the brass (which is rare) or more likely I lose it.

With the single stage I generally do a coffee can at a time. I tumble quick to get the dirt off.  Then I decap, size, and clean the primer pocket.  Back to the tumbler they go for a couple hours.  Then I trim if I am doing rifle or bell if I am doing pistol.  I use a hand primer next.  After the primer goes in I drop powder and seat’n crimp.  I tumble my loaded shells to give them a factory look. (I know some people feel that it is dangerous to tumble loaded shells, all I can say is that I have not had a problem.) Finally, I give them a quick look over and into a Ziploc they go. 

I have started to write the powder brand, powder weight, bullet type, and date on the bags.  I should have done this from the start.   The problem is that I know I have some pretty hot shells laying around, but I don’t know which ones so I only shoot the unlabeled ones out of the HK. 

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 07:36:16 AM »
Well I have started on 9mm. For 9mm I am using Lee dies instead of RCBS.  I like the RCBS dies better.  I like them better because everything locks in place.  There is a lock on the main nut that sets the die depth and there is a lock nut on the bullet seater and brass bell(er).  Finally, the RCBS dies seem smoother, the brass seems to almost get stuck in the Lee sizer and the Lee beller.  I don't like the RCBS so much better that I am going to replace my lee dies, but I won't buy anymore.

Alright 9mm costs:
Brass = free (noone seems to pick up their 9mm brass) .03 to buy
bullets = .07
powder = ~.01
primer = .03

CPR (cost per round) = .11 or .14 if you need brass

The cheapest I can find is Walmart at .20 CPR after tax.
It takes about 45 minutes per 100.

With all of the saving I think that I am going to get out of loading .223

.223/5.56
Brass = .10
Bullet = .10
Powder = .08
Primer = .03
CPR = .31

I can get commercial reloaded brass ammo for .32 CPR shipped and I still get brass to reload.  If I go the steel case route it is .23 CPR shipped.

Offline Donulld

• Prepper
  • 2nd Class Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »
Here is a really in-depth calculator for figuring out costs.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Rifle_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:34:46 AM »
As far as the numbers you have come up with, I 100% agree.  Your time is difficult to put a dollar value on.  The time it takes I think is accurate as well.  I nit pick each cartridge, so I run about the same time on a single stage.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:26 AM »
Here is a really in-depth calculator for figuring out costs.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Rifle_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

Thanks for the link.  I did a little playing with it and I came up with this.

To pay for the press and stuff (the big bags are 250 the rest are 100):

Profit (well sort of):

I don't really put a dollar value on my time spent reloading since it is a hobby and I find it quite relaxing and rewarding.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:22:03 AM by RacinRob »

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »
indeed, I have some friends that can't get their head around how I can sit for 2 or 3 hours at a table pulling a lever, watching Outdoor Channel ;D

"If I had to explain it, you wouldn't understand"

working the press is my best stress reliever.  No matter how bad my day is, my head is clear after 200 rounds are completed.

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »
Hubby just started reloading last week. he's impressed at how easy it is and how much he saves per bullet.

Offline Gif

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:13:34 AM »
I've been reloading on a single stage Lee for about a year now.  Been thinking about a progressive... It's a sickness I tell you!   ;D

+1 on the stress reliever part

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
Pistol bullets I reload for quantity / cost savings. Rifle I reload for quality / accuracy.

Honestly, once you start reloading you will spend the same amount of money you did before - but you will shoot a lot more.

Offline JFCisme

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
I have been reloading for over 20 years.  I shot in a lot of Bullseye matches.  A three gun match is 90 rounds of 22 and then 180 rounds for center fire and 45acp.  Shoot a couple of matches a month and a little practice and I wouldn't be able to afford gas after buying all the ammo I needed.

My RCBS Rock Chucker is now for all my rifle rounds.  A couple of years ago I got a Dillion RL 550B on Ebay.  I do all my straight wall cases on it.  It is amazing how fast you can put out some rounds.  I do 500 rounds at a time as opposed to doing 100 on the single station.  I like that I can set up my dies on a tool head and leave them that way.  You swap out a tool head instead of taking the dies off each time.

So I can do it cheaper

.................do it faster

......and relax as I do it !! 

JFCisme

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I'm not sure what the fuss is all about regarding the type of press you have...

When I reload, I just push the little button on the side of my gun, and put in a new magazine.

Isn't that how everyone else reloads?

;D

I'm ordering my .45ACP dies right NOW!!! yay!

Offline jawjaboy

• Survivor
  • Gone but not forgotten
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 04:00:48 AM »
With the largest component cost of reloading being the bullet, melting down wheel weights(ww's) for boolits is the way to fly if possible. Cost per bullet(230gr 45acp) drops to much less than .01 cent each. A friend and I smelted a few hundred pounds of ww's  into ingots this past Saturday afternoon to put into the casting furnace.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 08:29:46 AM »
Someday I will get into that, however none of the guns I have right now play well with lead bullets.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:46 AM »
Is there an easy way to make your own jackets and swage them on?

I've seen really expensive presses that take lead wire and copper tuning to make .50BMG boolitz... But nothing for handgun calibers...

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
I know that there have been several articles in recent years using spent 22 LR casings to make .223 projectiles.  As far as other calibers, not sure...

http://www.corbins.com/jackets.htm#rfjm