Author Topic: Christmas Season; lights, up or not  (Read 2533 times)

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
Christmas Season; lights, up or not
« on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
With the Christmas season upon us AND our perseverance in" Living The Life You Want, If Times Get Tough, Or Even If They Don't" was wondering how your going to approach the Christmas season.

Are we going to control Christmas lists and spending?   Limits on gifts and perhaps some focus on giving a quality gift vs a quantity of presents?

Will the purchases be on cash or credit this year?  Who out there is set on hanging up the outside Christmas lights, lawn decorations and such.  Will this years Christmas be one a "little" different?

Personally my family is gonna try the "two list" gift rule this year.  Having everyone make their "list" of potential Christmas things, but with a slightly different spin.

Everyone has to make two lists, one list is for items you "want" and the other list is for something you "need"

Wife and I plan on using these lists for our shopping and am intrigued on what the family really comes up with.  Each person will receive the usual stocking filled with stuff, along with some personal items, (deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, socks, pantyhose and underwear).  In addition, we will give each person one item from their "want " list and one from their "Need" list

All our shopping this year is planned to be with cash and we still feel strong about the spirt of Christmas as a whole. Its just gonna be a little different here this year.

And by the way, outside lights are off this year for us. 

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Christmas Season; lights, up or not
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 03:34:58 PM »
We put up our "normal" amount of lights, not the most we have ever done but more than the least.  I turn them on about 5 and off about 10 pm.

Our budget is about $200 more than last year, a couple of new additions made most of the difference.  All cash as was last year and the year before.  Before that was pretty ugly.

We have been pretty good with our budget for about 2.5 years, so it is business as usual around here.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
Actually nothing different here.  This is the second year we have not used any credit for gifts.   We both have Christmas clubs at work and draw from that. 

Pokethis

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »
First, if anyone were to get me "deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, razors, socks, pantyhose and underwear" for xmas I'd hit the roof!  That said. 

We will be at my parents this year and we haven't put up lights yet and I don't know that we will. 

This year also, we are just buying for the kids, not for the adults.  We all felt that way this year.  I also told my children xmas gifts will be fewer this year. 

I guess I must be feeling a little grinchy!  I just want to be with family/friends and enjoy their company.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
Ok Pokethis,

What do you put in the stockings? 

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
Christmas is all cash this year, with fewer presents between the adults and about the same as usual for the kids.  The grandparents always spoil the kids, so my wife and I tend to buy clothes and such for them anyway.

The lights are definitely all strung up outside, though they are on a timer to shut off earlier than usual.

While I can be frugal about many things, Christmas tends to be my weak spot.

Pokethis

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
CTF250:  I put make-up and pens, small notebooks (we LOVE office supplies), pencils and candy for my two daughters.  Hey whatever you like.  But I always told my husband if he EVER bought me ANYTHING for the kitchen .....

I'm a great cook and enjoy new kitchen stuff but for us christmas is personal and we try to get eachother personal stuff (and your stuff is personal) I"m probably not making myself clear  ...   :-[

I still ride the husband for buying the girls play kitchen stuff for christmas, I'm just not into to funneling my girls into traditional role play, they need to explore things, lets get them a science kit instead - is my thinking.

Oh and we did put up the lights..
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 09:52:03 PM by Pokethis »