Author Topic: A study on how to fight a mob  (Read 12426 times)

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
A study on how to fight a mob
« on: March 26, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »
I love this guy!

http://www.break.com/index/turkish_man_fights_mob.html#id280814

He keeps them in front of him and deals with them one at a time.

TW

Offline CyborgX

• Survivor
  • Maps don't need batteries
Re: A study on how to fight a mob
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 06:43:39 AM »
Heh, I like how they're playing Eye of the Tiger, there.

Pretty cool, though. He's really got that situation under control.
Any back-story to exactly why this particular guy is being attacked by a mob?

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:02 AM »
Vaguely remember seeing this before.I think it was some political/palimentary bust-up. Hilarious   ;D

Goober Pyle

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »
He does everything right, and makes those guys look like the chumps they are. I'll bet Steven Segal is developing the story for the screen right now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:16:23 AM by Goober Pyle »

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
The guy totally picks his shots, and remains cool under fire!! Pretty awesome video!

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »
there was no sound so i imagined some. the benny hill theme fit nicely.

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:25 PM »
Very interesting watch. I always enjoy the mob/zombie drills when we do them at my martial arts class.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 06:42:19 PM »
Saw that video on worlds dumbest something or other.  Don't know if it's true or not but what they said was this.

The guy doing the ass kicking is a Turkish cab driver.  The mob getting it's collective ass kicked is the family of a guy who, during some sort of close call traffic indecent,  felt insulted when the cabbie apparently called him some sort of dumb-ass.  The guy in white that gets knocked down several times is the insultee's son who wont give it up until apparently cold cocked.

Bet that makes for one hell of a family get together argument on who got their ass kicked the worst by the one guy they messed with.   :D

Offline Steaker

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 11:16:03 PM »
He is a boxer.  He can back peddle without tripping.  He anticipates the others move.  Not a pro, but pretty good.  He attacks no one, hits and moves.  I'm old and slow now, but when I was younger I knew a few guys who you could not touch.  They could back step, or side step any attack.  You just could not land a punch on them, and they could hurt you bad when you gave them an opening.  Training is everything.  My youngest son has trained under an excellent Master for over 2 years.  He is going to be much better than I ever was.  At 8, he is a machine with both his hands and feet.  It makes me very happy to seem him train hard.  Training is everything.  ...Sorry for getting carried away with pride in my son, I cant help myself.

Offline StillAlive

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »
The best strategy to fight multiple opponents is similar to playing tag as a kid when you have a large object like a car between you and the person trying to tag you. They try to come around the car but you move in the opposite direction in order to keep the car between you and them.

You do the same thing but you are keeping one attacker between you and the others, using throws,sweeps, kicks and punches you attempt to quickly disable the attacker in front of you, circling back and forth to keep the others in a position where they can't reach you. Rinse /repeat.

You don't want to go to the ground with your attacker in a multiple attacker scenario if you can avoid it.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
I love that video.

Now imagine how it ends for the guy if he has nowhere to run to and the guys attacking him are not total retards.

inbox485

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
I love that video.

Now imagine how it ends for the guy if he has nowhere to run to and the guys attacking him are not total retards.

Part of his survival is how he circles back to keep the mob in a line as he picks off the front guy like chipping off the edge of a knife. If he gets his back to a wall the game changes.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 09:03:38 AM »
Hey, Wilderness!

When this happened, was someone playing "Pop! Goes the Weasel" in the background?

Was the guy fighting the mob saying: "Moe!  Larry! The cheese!  Moe!  Larry!  The cheese!  Nyuk!-Nyuk!-Nyuk!"

;D  ;D  ;D

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 09:08:18 AM »
Hey, Who...Me?

You wrote:

Saw that video on worlds dumbest something or other.  Don't know if it's true or not but what they said was this.

The guy doing the ass kicking is a Turkish cab driver.  The mob getting it's collective ass kicked is the family of a guy who, during some sort of close call traffic indecent,  felt insulted when the cabbie apparently called him some sort of dumb-ass.  The guy in white that gets knocked down several times is the insultee's son who wont give it up until apparently cold cocked.

Bet that makes for one hell of a family get together argument on who got their ass kicked the worst by the one guy they messed with.   

This video needs to be shown throughout the Middle East, with a reminder: "This is what could happen to mindless rabble next time they get their panties in a wad over an author's words or a stupid cartoon."

;D

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 10:41:16 AM »
Too bad he didn't have time to kick them while they were down...

Offline supes

• Survivor
    • Sweet green bay senior pictures
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
A basic self defense rule that applies to pretty much everything, if you're defensive and backing up, you can hold your own pretty well against a stronger or larger opponent(s). Personally I woulda just ran instead of staying around and fighting. Yeah, it worked well for him that he had idiots trying to attack him but it only takes them one lucky stumble and he's overwhelmed. Bravo yet foolish.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 05:55:56 AM »
Howdy, Supes!

I would say that the word "run" should not be part of any strategy for dealing with mobs or lone thugs unless it is followed by words like "trip," "lure," "snare," or "boobytrap."  

You could also follow the word "run" with phrases like "lay in wait with a weapon," "on a wild goose chase" or "over a ledge" or "into Dr. Jigsaw's loving arms."

;D

You have to remember: A mob does not act on reason, is not restrained by any ethics that might restrain a lone individual, and, by sheer force of numbers, a mob can kill you and will do so in the most vile, unspeakable ways.  (For more gruesome details, read or view accounts of lynchings from the uglier times of American history, as well as accounts from throughout the world.  Or read accounts of mobs at sporting events or concerts.)  

And, of course, a mob can also run too, so even that is no solution.  Hence, you can't show a mob any kind of mercy.  I say avoid them if you can, but fight them crazy-dirty if you're pinned.  One gunshot will send a whole frightened pack of vermin scurrying, but if you don't have a gun on hand, wildly flinging a stick, chain, or a bar on a stick in all directions will do a dent on anyone who tries to surround you.  There are many other possibilities that exist with other objects on hand.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:02:55 AM by SnugInMyPod »

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
Snug is in fact spot on with his fight crazy dirty advice.   With one addendum.   ALWAYS fight crazy dirty.   Every single time.  Working on the assumption of course that you live by ZAP and are not the aggressor.  Any time you find yourself defending yourself you should do anything and everything to win (read not lose thus getting hurt or killed) the fight.

There is no such thing as a fair fight.   Since you cannot read someone Else's mind, you have no idea what his intentions are or if he is in fact crazed enough to kill you.  Add to that the fact that accidents happen all the time and he may not intend to kill you but at the end, well, shit happens.

So if reasoning your way out, running isn't and option (for instance I am slow with shitty knees so I will not run knowing that in all likelihood I will be caught anyway and then all out of breath and less able to defend myself)  and you have no choice but to fight...do what ever it takes to end it quickly and with you victorious...stick you finger in the eye, bite their nose off, go for the throat, whatever.

Trying to play by a set of rules that the other person(s) has already broken by starting a fight in the first place will just end badly.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
Who...Me?

I like to think of it as "Start-No-Fights-But-Be-Ready-To-Finish-Them-Ism."

;D  ;)

Offline supes

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 09:54:03 AM »
Any time you find yourself defending yourself you should do anything and everything to win (read not lose thus getting hurt or killed) the fight.

If you need to defend someone else, child, wife, friend, then fighting is your only option. But in a lot of cases, it's completely foolish to have your goal be to "win." In real life, there is no ref to stop them from kicking you once you're on the ground. There is no ref to keep them from pulling a knife. The longer a confrontation goes, especially against multiple people, the less your chance of walking away unharmed. It's fun to watch this guy who was pretty skilled, was going against idiots, and was very lucky, but it is NOT a good idea to fight.

You trip once, be that over a rock or even one of the morons you just knocked down, and your swarmed and it's over. They land one lucky punch, you may very well be "skilled" but if you get the wind knocked out of you or get dizzy for a few seconds, you get overwhelmed. Unless YOU are the aggressor or an assassin or a warrior (which none of us here are unless you're in the military), you have one goal and one goal only, get out of there as unharmed as possible.

Sometimes the whole going nuts thing and using as much force as possible will work, maybe even against more than one guy. But don't ever let your goal be to fight. Fighting is a means to an ends, nothing more, and only one possible means. To the guy who said "running is never a part of my survival plan", I say, are you serious? What kinda confrontations do you plan on getting in where the person wants you harmed so very badly they're going to chase you more than ten feet? Unless you're an assassination target, if someone is trying to mug you and you sprint out of there like you life depends on it (especially if you run towards an open area with crowds or lighting) there isn't a high chance of the person coming after you. Granted, not everyone is in shape to be running  (though if you're not in shape to run do you honestly think you're going to be able to fight hand to hand for long?), but don't ever think that getting OUT is not an option. The goal is survival, fighting but one option.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 09:49:56 PM »
Supes,

You wrote:

Sometimes the whole going nuts thing and using as much force as possible will work, maybe even against more than one guy. But don't ever let your goal be to fight. Fighting is a means to an ends, nothing more, and only one possible means. To the guy who said "running is never a part of my survival plan", I say, are you serious? What kinda confrontations do you plan on getting in where the person wants you harmed so very badly they're going to chase you more than ten feet? Unless you're an assassination target, if someone is trying to mug you and you sprint out of there like you life depends on it (especially if you run towards an open area with crowds or lighting) there isn't a high chance of the person coming after you. Granted, not everyone is in shape to be running  (though if you're not in shape to run do you honestly think you're going to be able to fight hand to hand for long?), but don't ever think that getting OUT is not an option. The goal is survival, fighting but one option.

To address what you're saying, first of all, I never said to "never run in any circumstance."  I do always sit in my workplace or in a restaurant with at least on escape route within easy reach and a full view of my surroundings. 

What I meant by my statement was to never run without some quick thinking and action to defeat your opponent. 

For instance, if you're going to run from an enemy, run and then stop and trip them, run them into a waiting trap, run them over a ledge or in a ditch, turn over mop buckets or oil bottles behind you, throw objects in their path, turn over shelves on them.  Do what it takes to put distance and danger between you and them.

Also, if you do run, you still have to watch where you're going and not let yourself be subject to suggestion or panic or you could end up in even bigger peril.

My thoughts on this subject are informed by my own experience.  Some years ago, I was chased across a 4-lane Boulevard of over 50 feet by a street thug who was jonesing for a check I had waited a month to get.  That check was all that was between me and homelessness and I damn sure wasn't giving it up. 

Running from the thug didn't help, but when I popped open my umbrella, used it like a cat-o'-nine-tails on his face, and roared like a caveman, this did throw him off of me until I could get back across the Boulevard, run inside a Papa John's, and call the police.

Like comedian Lewis C.K. observed: Everyone makes room for the crazy man.

;D

My approach is also informed by a rule common to wilderness survival and First Aid:

If you're lost in the wild or have a casualty on your hands, don't move unless the danger of staying outweighs the danger of moving.  If you are safe for the time being in a crisis, stay in place, shield yourself from the elements, then think and gather your bearings on what to do next.  Needless movement only gets you further lost and can create panic.

And when you do have to move, move cautiously, do no harm in moving, and move in a way that gets you found and to a place of safety.

The same principles of survival apply whether against a hostile natural environment or a hostile human force.  Don't seek out trouble, but be ready to fight against it when it comes.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I like to think of it as "Start-No-Fights-But-Be-Ready-To-Finish-Them-Ism."

If my sig line wasn't already full, I'd totally use this.  :D :D :D  +1 for making me belly laugh, snug.  ;)

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:43 AM »
SisterWolf,

Thank you for the Karma and you would have my blessing to use it if you could.  Feel free to put it next in line.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »
But in a lot of cases, it's completely foolish to have your goal be to "win."

That is true if your only interpretation of "win" is the defeat of your adversary.  Any time you are in a fight and after it is over you are not seriously injured you win.  If you have not been forced to seriously hurt someone else you win. 

If you do enough crazy, dirty (or whatever your preferred adjective happens to be) to end the conflict then you won.  You do not need to "prevail" over someone to win a fight. 

As a point of fact (in, of course, my humble opinion) you reach a point where the antagonist realizes he has incorrectly evaluated the situation and decides that it is in his best interest to end hostilities and disengage and you continue the fight, you have become the aggressor.  Revenge on someone for starting a fight with a "I will teach that guy a lesson he won't forget" is still wrong.   I met your force with my appropriate force causing you to flee the conflict...YAY I won and nobody got anymore messed up that they needed to.

Offline supes

• Survivor
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 08:36:59 AM »
I understand your guys's points of view and I agree in some situations. As long as your mindset is to get you (and/or people who depend on you) in a safer situation than they are in now, then you'll probably end up ok. If your mindset is to right a wrong or to "win", it can backfire and get you in a worse situation.

Here's my reason for this view. A buddy of mine when we were in high school was a moron and was out at a bar with some of his friends after a football game (yep, high schoolers). He was a pretty big farm boy and when a man he didn't know started getting aggressive with him, instead of just getting out of there or even trying to tone things down, he decided force was what was needed. From what he said, the other guy threw the first punch. My buddy then threw one of his own which made the drunk man fall out of his chair and hit his head on the table on the way down. Turns out mr drunk was also at the bar with his buddies. Within seconds he had 5 different guys wailing on him and even though he held his own pretty well (took two other guys pretty much out of the fight), he ended up getting knocked unconscious before the police showed up. Ended up with him not playing his senior year of football, a huge fine that a high schooler has no chance of paying back, and an assault record for basically defending himself.

There are many different situations and each one needs to be handled differently. In a situation in the woods, that analogy is actually the opposite of what one should think about in a situation where you're not lost or in immediate danger. In the woods, there is little immediate threat, with a mugger, there IS an immediate threat. If you don't have anything to gain by staying, you should make plans to leave. Especially a crowded bar type situation. You have no idea if you're facing down one guy or if a dozen more are standing behind you. In most situations, you are not on home ground and do not fully know your situation. Unless you have more to lose by getting out of there than you do by staying, you should get out of there if at all possible. It's rare for even the "winner" of a fight to walk away unharmed, often time one punch to the face will break fingers and unless you're spiderman, someone can throw a bottle at you from across the room and you won't see it coming. Fighting hand to hand in any environment other than in your own home is the nuclear option, it should ALWAYS be on the table but only if nothing else is going to work or getting out of there will cost you more (like leaving a bag of money on the ground or your newborn child in a stroller).

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »
Supes,

You wrote:

There are many different situations and each one needs to be handled differently. In a situation in the woods, that analogy is actually the opposite of what one should think about in a situation where you're not lost or in immediate danger. In the woods, there is little immediate threat, with a mugger, there IS an immediate threat. If you don't have anything to gain by staying, you should make plans to leave.

I admit the analogy isn't perfect (only tautologies are perfect analogies,) but the basic principle for dealing with both natural and man-made peril is the same--to deal with it consciously and rationally, whether you stay or move.

Yet a third option to both running and staying is pre-emptive diffusing of the threat of a mob.  Set things up so that the mob never forms in the first place.  Some ways to do this could include bad publicity circulated among potential mob members ("This show sucks!  Let's go somewhere else!") or maybe stinkum or fart spray set up in advance and quietly activated when a mob appears to be forming.

8)

Offline supes

• Survivor
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
Or just wear full SWAT riot gear at all times while carrying a katana. :)