Author Topic: Backpack Oven out of #10 can  (Read 3435 times)

Offline No Prob Rob

• Prepper
Backpack Oven out of #10 can
« on: March 27, 2010, 10:39:12 PM »
I was trying to think of what to do with all those empty #10 cans.

I used some copper wire and made a hinge for the lid. Made a wire rack out of rabbit hutch screen in the middle to hold the pan up off the bottom.

I set the can on some hot coals, and slide in the goods to be baked in one of those small foil bread pans.

So far I have baked biscuits, pineapple upside down cake, and cornbread.

Its a little tricky until you learn how to regulate the heat by moving coals closer or further away. Close up the lid with a little wire hook made out of the same wire I used.

I made a wire handle in the top to pick it up and set it in the fire.

A BBQ grill thermometer got screwed into the back end at the top to monitor the temperature.

MMMMMM nothing beats hot baked goods on a backpack trip!
Non semper erit aestas

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Backpack Oven out of #10 can
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 10:43:06 PM »
Neat.  Next time you bake something in that, take a picture of the goods.
It's ham radio, or better yet, amateur radio, not HAM...it isn't an acronym.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline benjaminbrasel

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:09:13 PM »
This is a great idea............. I would also like to see the baked goods...... This is on my list of projects.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
Dalai Lama

coffecat

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »
Am appreciative of this.  Had not crossed my mind to do this and I like to supply rolls when family camping.  C.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »
very nice.  I have done this in smaller (soup) cans.  I have also used the can method on a cookstove.  The bottom was a little over done while the top was under, but it worked well enough. 

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
Robert A. Heinlein

“I know you don’t see a ball. Trust me, God has placed a ball right here. You just can’t see it because you faith is not deep enough yet”

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
This is just a great idea, No Prob Rob. Simple and useful. Thanks for giving me a new project to work on.