Author Topic: Getting my wife into hunting  (Read 2552 times)

Offline The Snow Ant

• Prepper
Getting my wife into hunting
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:40:57 PM »
I looked into B.O.W. and They don't do Ontario Canada. Even worst is the fact that I live in Northern Ontario away from most major urban centers.

I have recently been able to get my wife to fire our ruger 10/22 and a single shot .410 we own.

I have been a hunter since I was young. My whole family including my mother would go out for the hunt.
Heck I would even get out of school for a week during moose season.

I would like my wife to enjoy this pasttime and learn these skills.
I also have two young daughters who when old enough I would like them to join us.

I could really use a women's Point of view.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: Getting my wife into hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
Okay Snow Ant - I'll bite.  I've been hunting with my husband for over 20 years - and they way he got me to go was he treated me nice.  Sounds kinda dumb huh?  But I mean that he made sure I was warm enough, comfortable enough so it was a pleasant experience.  He wasn't so focused on getting an animal that he forgot I didn't quite have the same motivation he had (now that I've hunted for a while I get it too!) And then I grew to love going - even if we don't see any animals the beauty of the seasons is enough.  Our daughter went with us hunting at times as a child and when she was a little older she hunted herself (till she discovered boys!) - she and my DH even went a couple of times without me. So I think taking your wife with you and turning it into a pleasant experience (have some fun!) and then she'll get hooked. And last of all have her take some gun classes from a professional.  I know you guys are all pros - but I really gained confidence after I took some classes from someone else. You know it's that "a prophet has no honor in his own country" thing (per Jack Spirko :D).  Happy Hunting - wish I was where there were moose to hunt - made DH take me for our anniversary a while back moose "hunting" (with binoculars & camera) since I'd never seen one up close and personal. Blessings TBM

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:11:50 PM »
Have you asked her if she would be interested in coming with you on a hunt, or eventually learning to hunt herself?

If she seems to be okay with you hunting, then I'm wondering if she might already be mildly interested but hesitant to ask you outright, particularly because your vast experience might make her feel inept by comparison. At least, I expect that to be a factor for me if/when I learn to hunt. She may also be unsure as to how you would feel about her hunting. So if you haven't already, I'd recommend bringing the topic to the table and see what she has to say on the subject. I'd recommend the "I think you'd enjoy it" approach (TwoBluesMama has a great point!) over the "I'd like for you to know this skill" approach. I'd also suggest not mentioning the fact that you'd like your daughters to learn to hunt until after she's "hooked", so that she can respond with an informed perspective.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:30:38 PM »
Make especially the first few trips fun and comfortable. TBM said this but it can't be said enough. Don't make the first trip one of endless hours perched on a cold tree branch or in a damp hollow. Take along a thermos of coffee, tea, hot chocolate (whatever she likes) and enjoy yourselves. Getting shooting lessons from someone else is also probably a good idea. I could shoot well before I ever met my husband so that was never a problem for us but it could have been.

Offline The Snow Ant

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 10:20:27 AM »
 Thank you very much ladies. I was also thinking of My wife going out for a hunt with a female friend of the family that has many more years of experience than me. I even admit she is a better hunter than me.

again thanks

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:29:27 PM »
I'd save having her go out with your female friend for a later trip. One thing I know for sure about hunters is that male or female once they're out there actually hunting they don't notice time passing, they get too focused. If your wife comes back exhausted, hungry, and sore she isn't necessarily going to think she had a good time.

Offline The Snow Ant

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »
Good point I can remeber a few time were after a day of hunting I was beat. I will probly take her out for some grouse and just walk some roads and trails in the fall.

Thanks