Author Topic: A good bolt action .22lr?  (Read 25600 times)

Offline AmericanExces

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: A good bolt action .22lr?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
I'm very interested in an XT-22TSR with the tube fed magazine.   While it isn't a scope, I would think that the tech sights below would mount up...

http://www.tech-sights.com/mxt200.htm

That is what i'm looking at putting on it.

Ah, I read about those in the tech sights thread! They seem pretty sweet, and I've been thinking pretty seriously about putting a set on my 10/22

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »
CZ 452 ULTRA LUX

Any of the CZ 452 line are guns you can shoot for decades and hand down to the next few generations.

Buy once, cry once.

Offline SouthernIllinoisPREP

• Prepper
  • Let the Apocalypse BEGIN!
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »
I have a variety of .22 rifles (bolt action, single shot, and semi-auto), but there is one rifle that I am just completely in love with and that is my Savage Arms Model 63. Now I know it is an older gun, but let me tell ya; this gun is lightweight, very short in length (the entire rifle is about as long as my arm), it is a SINGLE SHOT bolt action. The Savage Model 63 is accurate as all hell and as long as it's taken care of, it is a very smooth working gun. Mine was passed down to me when I was a kid, from my father, who got it as a gift from his father. Even over the years of being used, as well as being in a closet for years, it is an excellent bolt action - single shot rifle.

You can pick one of these up - in excellent condition - for anywhere from $100 up to $350 for one in pristine condition. I like the fact of it being a single shot because I enjoy the challenge of having to reload a single  bullet between shots and I practice everyday to prepare myself for "THAT DAY."

Hope this helps out and best of luck with your decision,

Nate

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 08:55:34 AM »
My father in law has the CZ with a bull barrel. It shoots like a dream. On a good day at the outdoor range I can hit the 300 yard gong with it, a feat that will make everyone laugh and try. Shooting a .22 that far at an 8 inch target is fun.

If not well cleaned of over-oiled, the bolt can stick. It takes a little more love and care than others I've shot but it's a very accurate rifle.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I have a Nikon 4x32 scope that needs a new home since I pulled it off my 10/22 in favor of Tech-sights.

I should probably start hitting the pawn shops...

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 04:57:20 PM »
Speaking of old, anyone else still shooting a Winchester Model 60-22?  Ours is on it's second generation (me) and soon to be moving on to the third.  While I have a nicer pump .22, this is my go to varmint gun.  It's obviously got cool factor from being in the family so long.  My kids loved hearing Grandmother talk about how her and her brother were expected to bring back a rabbit or squirrel for every bullet great-grandpa sent them out with.

It won't succeed at Appleseed, but it's still getting those rabbits!

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 10:08:14 PM »
I own a Savage MII, laminated stock, pre/accu trigger. I've fired my best group at 100 yards to date. .473" off the bench with good glass and Federal Gold Match ammo. When you take it apart to clean it you can get the extractor mixed up with the ejector. The gun still works fine, but the groups open up. I had to label them left and right so it wouldn't happen again. HI.  Federal Gold Match is not cheap. When I bought it 8 years ago it cost 8 dollars a fifty. I could still buy some 22 ammo at 9.95 a brick on sale back then. Even with mini-mags the gun will shoot 2" groups at 100 yrds off the bench with sand bags. It is a joy to shoot.

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2014, 11:53:04 AM »
I'm very interested in an XT-22TSR with the tube fed magazine.

I just got back from shooting my XT-22 for the first time, and I had a blast. Here's a quick review:

Ergonomics/Feel:
Very natural in my hands; holding it just feels 'right'. The mag release, safety, and bolt are all well-located, so you can actuate them without moving your hands much or at all.

Trigger:
Super smooth, right off the bat.

Sights:
I was shooting at 10 yards to get a feel for the weapon. After a little while I really had the hang of it. I don't have a ton of experience with firearms (yet), but I was surprised how accurately I could shoot. I much prefer these sights to the stock 10/22 sights.

Bolt:
A little bit tight at first, but very smooth by the time I left.

Magazine/Feed:
I have the 7-round magazine (not the tubular you're looking for, MSP). Good design, fed flawlessly.

Fit and Finish:
I have the plain jane wood stock, but it's a thing of beauty. Much nicer wood than my 10/22. Marlin puts out a product that looks as good as it functions.

Overall Impression/Recommendation:
As I mentioned, I don't have a lot of experience with firearms, so I can't compare to other bolt action 22s. However, objectively, I can't imagine another firearm performing better than this. Time will tell how it holds up, but I have a feeling I'll be passing this on to my kids or grandkids one day. Two thumbs up.

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 07:42:01 PM »
Just set up a PhotoBucket account, so now I can upload pics…

I think the wood stock on the XT-22 is just beautiful. That's a Mossberg 535 sitting next to it, in case anyone is curious.

d3nni5

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 08:37:13 AM »
Just set up a PhotoBucket account, so now I can upload pics…

I think the wood stock on the XT-22 is just beautiful. That's a Mossberg 535 sitting next to it, in case anyone is curious.

Nice looking pair

Offline SOprep

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
I actually just picked up a Ruger American Rimfire.  I had been looking for an affordable bolt action .22lr and came across the American.  I like the feel of it and it has an excellent trigger out of the box.  Plus, as was stated above, it accepts 10/22 magazines which everyone has lying around  ;D.  The stock does make it feel a bit cheap but I just prefer wood furniture over synthetic on most applications.  I know that I was very happy with $240 out of the door.

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »
I have seen an eight year old girl at three Appleseeds put maybe 1000 rounds through an American rimfire like a champ. She just needs to grow into it a bit more and maybe put tech sights on it and she'd be a little Annie Oakley. I will own one of those rifles one day.

Offline narcedglocker

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 06:32:52 AM »
Savage Mark II FV-SR

Very accurate
Great Price
Factory threaded for a can

Offline 1greenman

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Healthy Family Variety Channel
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2016, 09:07:49 AM »
I have a savage mkII that I really like. My only complaint is the standard sights.... I can't really use em consistently. Once scoped, its a dream. One day I may trade it in for one with factory peep sights.

+1

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2016, 01:27:48 PM »
I've got a Marlin 980 I picked up for about $220.

I used it in an Appleseed shoot, which was WAY too much fun.
Everybody else had Ruger 10/22s and they were just pulling the trigger, while I was working that bolt like crazy! But still was only 5pts away from shooting Rifleman.

It's accurate as $hit. Get a boltey.

Offline exSun

• Prepper
  • Old and in the way!
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
I just got a Ruger American Rimfire Target model. It uses the rotary magazine, which I like. I've had trouble with Marlin magazines cutting my fingers during rapid reloads (for an Appleseed). And I had an old A-Bolt .22 that couldn't feed a round at any fast pace - the lips of the original 5 round and replacement 15 round magazines just couldn't precisely position the cartridge. So I am hoping the Ruger (https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html) with its 10 round rotary mag will do the trick.

By the way, it comes with a sort of Ruger "Pickatinny Rail" on it. I have several scopes set up with tip-off rings, but not one spare set of Pickatiny rings. Then I noticed a sort of groove under the rail. The rail came off easily (four Torx T-10 head 6-48 screws) and that revealed the standard Ruger grooves for .22LR. Got the scope mounted up - now to sight it in.  I wonder why none of the Ruger literature, or any of the reviews, mentioned the tip-off grooves?