Author Topic: Slingshots  (Read 39286 times)

Offline Derek

• Prepper
Slingshots
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:15:39 PM »
These are looked at as a kids weapon but I know I can hit a squirrel at about 15-20 ft. plus you could take out other small game as well. And they are really not expensive. from $10- $30 at one site. I think I paid like 15 plus shot for it is not to expensive. Like $10 or so for steel Shot you could go out and buy a bag of Marbles for a buck or two as well.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Slingshots
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 01:22:19 PM »
They are a great weapon in my opinion and quite affordable and legal in all but the places one would never want to go anyway, they are also cheap.

My tip, get white marbles, you can buy them really cheap  online like here,

http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/ItemsList.aspx?groupID=12522&GN=5/8%22GlassMARBLESApprox.79pcsperlb

They are $1.06 a pound which is about 79 marbles.  That makes em 1.3 cents each!

Now why white, because you can see them fly so well, it helps you quickly adjust your shooting.  Try em, you will like it!

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:33:16 PM »
Slingshot's have come a long way from being a childs toy these days.  The metal framed "Wrist Rockets" are just that.  I've shot everything from lead fishing weights to darts in mine.  Accurate, powerful and versatile.  My favorite ammo "load" is 5-10 pennys.  As the pennys hit the air they start spinning and fan out like a shotgun, makes a nice "whirring" sound too.  Great for running the neighbors dogs out of the yard, not much damage if you hit them at a distance, bean bag effect up close, spreads for running or multiple targets and the noise scares the crap out of them too.  One ounce fishing weights, OMG!  They would take a man down at 50 yards no matter where you hit him.

Tim.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:57:13 PM »
Well guys this has inspired me to do a sling shot show, I am seeking a Listener Contest Sponsor right now and found a pretty awesome sling shot source, I sent them info on the show, lets see if they will hook some of yall our with a "Buck Rogers" type of sling shot.

Offline Derek

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »
I put one of these in my bug out bag since they are so small and light weight. And a small bag of shot is lite by comparison to bullets unless we are talking .22 's. At least by the same number of shots. I know that they will take a rabbit down as well.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
I used to have a nice nonfolding wrist rocket type one, that was simply awesome. I dropped it off of my horse one day, and never found it after that. Have since gotten one of the folding ones from Walmart. Its pretty serviceable, small enough to pack away easy, and very accurate with marbles.

Good tip on the white ones, Jack. Will have to try that. I always bought my marbles in the craft section of our local walmart for really cheap.

Another good thing to do is have extra tubing in your BOB for your slingshot. A small nick in the tubing and you are out of action.
Rip

Offline Derek

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 12:58:25 AM »
That is true I had to pick some new tubing up because my wristrocket had gotten so old that it popped the other day now both my wife and I have them and plan to get really good with them. I am a good shot but I want to get better.

Rusty #1

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »
Sling shot are my favorite weapon next to airguns an blowguns... with them they can be carried almsot anywhere nd they are great hunting weapons to hunt with... I still hunt rabbits ansquirrels with them pretty easy to make an use... Get an supply of the big buls mailing rubber bands  for the power bands an use an old leather glove for the pouch and an good stout stick with an fork  for an handle fo the slingshot (I like to use Hickory personally)... anyway good hunting.... Rusty

Offline Ultio1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
I keep a folding wrist rocket in my BOB. I found about a dozen and a half of these steel bearings that are a little bigger around than a quarter. They go right through car doors from something like 20 feet. (I am not shooting up peoples cars, my friend works at a wrecking yard.) Anyone who doesn't take these things serious should. They can definitely put some meat on the table and if need be you could get some serious David and Goliath action going on with the right ammo. I am going to buy some of those marbles right now. For those of you raising the next generation it is a good thing to consider for your kids who are to young to carry a weapon unsupervised. I still remember the day my dad gave me my first real wrist rocket. It wasn't very expensive but it was a big deal to me. I used it EVERY DAY for years.

Sorry gotta go dig mine out and have some fun......

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
Dang!! And I thought it was just me!!

I picked up a Wrist Rocket a couple of years ago.  Honestly, I did it just because I wanted to play with it.  Since then, it's become part of the plan for alternative hunting methods.  I picked up a couple of spare bands and some more ammo.  I'll have to stock up on the cheap marbles just so I can practice with it more. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Hmm. I have the body of my old wrist rocket. I'll have to get some new bands for it.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 03:06:20 PM »
Hmm. I have the body of my old wrist rocket. I'll have to get some new bands for it.

Latex surgical tubing!  You're on your own for the pouch, but I've heard either a piece of HEAVY lether belt, or leather shoe tongues have been used for pouches.

Tim.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:57:51 PM »
Latex surgical tubing!  You're on your own for the pouch, but I've heard either a piece of HEAVY lether belt, or leather shoe tongues have been used for pouches.
Good suggestions Tim. I'll go see what I can find... Cut the tongue out of an old pair of boots maybe.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 05:19:07 PM »
Just so you know, Walmart carries replacement bands complete with the pouch for like $6.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
Good suggestions Tim. I'll go see what I can find... Cut the tongue out of an old pair of boots maybe.

Yeah, like that, unless you happen to have a bull scrote handy?  Or as TB tells it, WallyWorld has actual replacement parts, but where's the fun in that?  A sling pouch made out of a bull scrotum, now that sez you are one bad azz mountain man, AND you got a bull that can sing soprano! <grin>

Tim.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 03:16:39 AM »
The bulls usually get a bit "testy" when you try and take their scrotum though. ;D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:37:53 AM by Tactical Badger »

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 04:14:33 AM »
I like the idea of having a wrist rocket and some white marbles.  Would a wrist rocket purchsed at WalMart be suitable or should I get one somewhere else?

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 04:38:41 AM »
Mine's been fine.  Granted, I don't use it on a daily basis.  But it certainly seems solid enough.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 10:17:51 AM »
parts, but where's the fun in that?  A sling pouch made out of a bull scrotum, now that sez you are one bad azz mountain man, AND you got a bull that can sing soprano! <grin>

Bad ass or dead that is..... And I'd rather not hear a bull singing anything... Especially not a funeral dirge.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
I had a wrist rocket as a teen and got pretty good with it.  But I completely forgot about them.  Time to check out what they have at Walmart.  Maybe my old slingshot is still over at my mother's house.  Time to go through her attic.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 03:27:46 PM »
Where can I find one of these?  any good brand to look for?  If I am looking at walmart, where do I look?
I want to get my 7yo a sling shot.
any places I can go to find out how to get good with one of these?

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
go to the hunting/fishing/sporting goods section.... they will be there..... if not, check out academy

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
Where can I find one of these?  any good brand to look for?

I don't know if there is really a difference between the brands.  I know I had a Wrist Rocket and it was supposed to be really good.  I also remember that the early folding models were not built as well, but that could have changed.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 06:46:18 PM »
go to the hunting/fishing/sporting goods section.... they will be there..... if not, check out academy

forgive my ignorance, please, but what is academy?  is it a store, a brand, a youtube video?
I wonder if my walmart even has a hunting section.... would any outdoor goods store have them?  we have a couple good local ones here.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »
forgive my ignorance, please, but what is academy?  is it a store, a brand, a youtube video?
I wonder if my walmart even has a hunting section.... would any outdoor goods store have them?  we have a couple good local ones here.

http://www.academy.com/  Academy Sports & Outdoors

Some WalMart's do NOT have hunting/gun sections.  My local WM just relocated from a small suburb into the larger neighboring city of Birmingham just a scant 2 miles down the road, and they totally dumped all their guns and ammo for the move into Birmingham.  Airguns too.  Slingshots are NOT sold at the K-Mart across the parking lot either (also in Birmingham).  And B'ham is PRO gun with many, many gun dealers , ranges, skeet & trap clubs, etc., so I don't know what's up with the "NO guns at WallyWorld IN Birmingham city limits" thingy.

YES, most any good outdoor store will carry the "Wrist-Rocket" brand.

Tim.

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
For $15-$20 I bought a slinghot, extra strap/pouch and a packet of shot (maybe 50-100) at WalMart about 3 weeks ago.  The brand was Marksman and the link below is to the model I bought though I am not endorsing the seller or anything.  Just did a quick search for it.

http://www.slingshotworld.com/marksman_3040sling.htm

I am accurate with it, with power, out to maybe 50-60 feet after a couple half-hour practice sessions.  I kinda think it would be more effective with heavier shot but I haven't tried that yet.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 10:41:25 PM »
I have an old marksman model.  It does not have the wrist stabilizer.  It came with a belt holster (in camo) with an ammo pocket.  I checked it the other day and the tubing has rotted.  Trumark (who makes the wrist rocket) sells replacement bands that fit standard yokes on slingshots.  They have a heavy band specifically for hunting.  I think my local Meijer sells them.  I might need to pick one up and try it out. 

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 11:38:07 AM »
 Keep one in my vehicle w/ spare tubing. I carry alcohol based hand sanitizer & a dab of that will secure the tubing, should I need to replace it.

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 04:20:37 PM »
Great tip.  Thanks.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 03:16:17 PM »
I just bought a Marksman Slingshot at Bass Pro Shop. I was surprised at its accuracy with just shooting it the first several times. Didn't too bad using pebbles either. Definitely something I am going to put in my BOB. I have been toying around with buying one for awhile. It was like 10 bucks for one and 5 for 75 large shot pebbles. They referred to them as hunting rounds. They sold white marbles, but they were for about 5 bucks also. I decided to try and find them cheaper elsewhere.

That one site that you provided says you can hunt deer with it.  ??? I think they mean you can piss deer off with it. Small game would be about it I would think.