Author Topic: Price of pre-64 half dollars  (Read 2415 times)

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
Price of pre-64 half dollars
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Got 3 half-dollars today from the 1945-1964 range for $7.50 each.  Was that a reasonable amount to pay?  Coinflation said a half-dollar had $6.46 of silver at the time.

I assume in the price there's a "numismatic" premium plus the value of the seller's time.  Not sure what's normal though.

Love how these coins feel in the hand...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:27:36 PM by Uncle Charlie »

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Price of pre-64 half dollars
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:58:13 PM »
Ouch. You paid 15 times face. Thats way too much. With silver at just under 18 an ounce right now I wouldnt pay more than 13, and would be more comfortable at paying 12.5.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Schmidt

• The Bear Whisperer
  • Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:58:48 AM »
Of the junk silver I have bought in the past 2 years, I have been spending -1 to 6% of spot. This was for rolls of coins.

Buying one coin at a time is going to contribute to part of the 16% over spot you paid, other factors are shiny-ness and rarity of the mint.. 

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »
One of our local dealers sells BU - Brilliant Uncirculated - Franklin half dollars for $7 to $8, depending on spot silver.  That's 14x to 16x face.  If you find them for less, then it could well be the price is for coins which are worn, not in BU condition.   Most Franklins will weight in at 12 grams.  Some well-worn Walking Liberty half dollars from the 40's will however weigh 11 grams.  This is on my cheap postal scale, which regrettably has no decimal points.  No doubt that buying in roll quantities gives you the best value, but will occasionally yield a few duds, at least in terms of coin quality.  Having said that, if and when silver hits its historical ratio against hold of 15 to 1, then the point of this discussion may well be moot.   ;)
Amat Victoria Curam

"Revolutions always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions."
   Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

www.101centavos.com

Offline NightOwl

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:11:38 AM »
Well, the guy wanted $8 each, $7.50 for 2 or more, and rolls of 20 for $7 each.  He said I could take the lot for $6.50.  I just didn't have that much cash available at the time.

I'd been getting small amounts of silver eagles and maples from APMEX's store front in Edmond.  But a couple months ago they informed me that they were in the process of separating from APMEX as the mail order division moves to a more secure location in downtown OKC.  Thus the selection was suddenly nowhere near as good.  Also they blatantly overcharged me by a dollar beyond the quoted price.  (By the way, APMEX online now lists $150 + shipping + OK tax for a roll of 20 average circulated silver halves.)

In total dollars per ounce of silver - ignoring any coin-specific collectible value - the halves came out similar to what I'd been paying APMEX for the eagles.  (Sales tax adds up fast.)

So I overpaid by the value of a bag of Doritos.  I'm not going to cry and lose sleep.  Just wanted to know what's normal.  I'll look for other local coin dealers for comparison.  Or I could try some negotiation with that guy as a friendly repeat customer...

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »

So I overpaid by the value of a bag of Doritos.  I'm not going to cry and lose sleep.  Just wanted to know what's normal.  I'll look for other local coin dealers for comparison.  Or I could try some negotiation with that guy as a friendly repeat customer...

Likewise.  If I occasionally overpay on a Franklin or two, I make a mental note to save it somewhere else, and don't get a pack or two of gum at the vending machine, or forego takeout pizza or Subway in favor of making dinner at home. 

By the way, thanks for tip on APMEX. I had no idea that they had a store in Edmond, or that they were HQ's in OKCity.  I had been thinking of them as an option for online purchases. 

The store mentioned above is Tulsa Gold and Silver. 

Amat Victoria Curam

"Revolutions always come around again. That's why they're called revolutions."
   Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

www.101centavos.com

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
I have bought from APMEX several times online and have been quite pleased with their service and price. Just my .02 ;)