Author Topic: Need info,,storing grains in 55 gal barrels  (Read 5266 times)

don-tomas

Need info,,storing grains in 55 gal barrels
« on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »
Any one with info on storing corn wheat beans in 55 gallon barrels??
 Are they available or do i make my own?

Offline Pukwudji

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Need info,,storing grains in 55 gal barrels
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:40:26 PM »
It would probably work but unless you go through a lot of grain I'd be concerned about how long it will last when unsealed and exposed to the air.   It might be okay if you keep it sealed tight between times when you are accessing it, but any oxygen left in the barrel between openings will reduce the length of storage time.

Maybe if you got a barrel with a removable top you could use it to store your mylar bags of grain.

Just some thoughts.  I haven't actually investigated it myself but those would be my concerns.

-Brian

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »
and heavy to move.  a 6-gal bucket of wheat is 45#.  times that by 9.....

Offline phargolf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
and heavy to move.  a 6-gal bucket of wheat is 45#.  times that by 9.....
+1, it would take a heavy dolly just to move it around a little. Not worth it in my old lazy mind. ;)

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
do you really want to store that much of one item in that large of a container? Is it going to be for long term (1 year or longer) storage? If so you could use dry ice and then silicon the lid down to create an air tight seal. If you did that it would be almost impossible to move. thats why most of us use buckets or cans of some type so we can move or rearrange our stores.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:03:33 PM by Roknrandy »

don-tomas

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
good info,, thanks for your input....about how much dry ice would it take?

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:33 AM »
Dry Ice

Using dry ice to displace oxygen from food storage containers is a very straightforward affair. To get the best purging results it is recommended that all foodstuffs and packaging materials be put in a warm location for a few hours before beginning the purging process. The reason for this is that the cold CO2 sublimating from the dry ice will be denser than the warmer, lighter oxygen containing air. The cold gas will tend to stay on the bottom, gradually filling the container and pushing the warm air out of the top.

When you first pick your dry ice up from the supplier, put it in a moisture proof container so that water vapor will be less able to condense and freeze on it. The sublimating gas will prevent you from being able to tightly seal it, but you can slow down any water ice accumulation.

Assemble the container and any interior packaging materials. Break off a piece of dry ice of sufficient size for the volume to be purged. One pound of dry ice will produce about 8.3 cubic feet of carbon dioxide gas so approximately two ounces per five gallon bucket will do. Wipe off any accumulated water frost which should look whiter than the somewhat bluish frozen gas. Wrap in a paper towel to keep foodstuffs out of direct contact. Place in the bottom of the container that will actually contain the food, i.e. the bag. Fill the package with the food product, shaking and vibrating while doing so to achieve the maximum packing density.
[snip]

the rest of the article is at https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/food_storage_faq/dry_ice.htm

Offline Crimson Wolf

• BANNED
  • Survivor
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 04:49:16 PM »
I store all my LTS foods in barrels. When it comes to most foods, they do just fine in the barrels with no extra measures taken. I have barrels full of oats, wheat (red & white), rye, rice, beans, pasta, soup mixes, and drink mixes. Just put them on pallets to keep them off the ground.

The foods I would not put into barrels would be foods with oils in them, like peanut butter. When the heat gets too high, the oil with come out of the plastic jars. Meats, cheeses, canned food should go in the house.

I have stored coffee successfully in barrels as well. ;)