Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > The Airgun Board

Where's all the interest in airguns?

<< < (2/8) > >>

NC Rifleman:
Well first off I know little to nothing about airguns.  What advantages do they have over conventional rifles, shotguns, and handguns? 

kimrpeterson:

This is a DAQ .308 Exile built by Dennis Quackenbush.
It makes 248 FPE of energy on a 4,000 PSI fill from a SCUBA tank.
Each shot gets weaker as the 300cc's of air is used, but any of the first 8 shots
can take a deer at 20 to 80 yards.
DAQ .308  4,000 PSI Fill   
7/14/08         
Shot#      Pellet Wt   FPS            Ft/Lbs                                                Pellet Brand
1             157.7        843           248.6                                                 Jay Woodcock.
2             157.7        816           233.1                                                 Jay Woodcock.
3             157.7        794           220.6                                                 Jay Woodcock.
4             157.7        772           208.5                                                 Jay Woodcock.
5             157.7        749           196.4                                                 Jay Woodcock.
6             157.7        720           181.6                                                 Jay Woodcock.
7             157.7        683           163.4                                                 Jay Woodcock.
8             157.7        656           150.9                                                 Jay Woodcock.

Since I consider my husband more of an expert on airguns, I will have him give more information and answer any questions later today.  He eats and breathes this stuff!

Ultio1:

--- Quote from: kimrpeterson on December 13, 2008, 02:02:09 PM ---

This is the .45 caliber Pre-Charged-Pneumatic (PCP) air rifle that my overly-manly, yet overtly considerate
and attentive husband is developing.

It has a 5-shot magazine. The 4,000 PSI held in the titanium air cylinder is regulated down to 2,800 PSI for 5 even shots.

The goal is a 250 grain bullet going 850 FPS for 400 FPE. After the 5th shot, the air in the tank (on both sides of the regulator) will have dropped to 2,500 PSI and it will drop further with each successive shot.
Anything after the first 5 shots is considered backup until you get back to the SCUBA tank, compressor,
or "bicycle-style" pump used to re-fill a PCP.

Airguns tend to be heavier than powder-burners because they don't use lightweight gunpowder to make power. Target weight for this rifle is 8-1/2 LBS.

--- End quote ---

SWEET JESUS!
 How long will it before we can buy these? I know what I want for next christmas.

kimrpeterson:
It's probably going to be 6-10 months before my husband has the first production run ready to sell.  At this time, he has ordered Lothar-Walther barrels, Timney triggers, Steve Corcoran custom stocks, and he is getting bids on the other parts for the gun.  I will keep everyone updated on our progress.

DIM TIM:

--- Quote from: kimrpeterson on December 14, 2008, 12:23:59 PM ---

This is a DAQ .308 Exile built by Dennis Quackenbush.
It makes 248 FPE of energy on a 4,000 PSI fill from a SCUBA tank.
Each shot gets weaker as the 300cc's of air is used, but any of the first 8 shots
can take a deer at 20 to 80 yards.
DAQ .308  4,000 PSI Fill   
7/14/08         
Shot#      Pellet Wt   FPS            Ft/Lbs                                                Pellet Brand
1             157.7        843           248.6                                                 Jay Woodcock.
2             157.7        816           233.1                                                 Jay Woodcock.
3             157.7        794           220.6                                                 Jay Woodcock.
4             157.7        772           208.5                                                 Jay Woodcock.
5             157.7        749           196.4                                                 Jay Woodcock.
6             157.7        720           181.6                                                 Jay Woodcock.
7             157.7        683           163.4                                                 Jay Woodcock.
8             157.7        656           150.9                                                 Jay Woodcock.

Since I consider my husband more of an expert on airguns, I will have him give more information and answer any questions later today.  He eats and breathes this stuff!

--- End quote ---
  WOW ! How lucky are you? I found his website quite a while back, and would have loved to had one of these beauties. Only thing was the lottery type of deal on the ownership of one of them. I would have loved one of these for sure.
 I have had a few BB rifles over the years as a kid and a teen, but never a decent air rifle till this past Christmas when I got a .177 rifle that shoots at a blistering 1000 F.P.S. made by the RUGER arms company. Sort of the middle of the road price wise, but still a nice air rifle.
I love to shoot things like those pumpkin, pod creatures, and dont forget those evil watermellons as well. You can punch some serious holes in those soda can, transformers. They make some good ones, because you can see, as well as hear the strikes in their little metal insides.  ;D
I just got my son his first air rifle as well. He got a Daisy, 1938 Red Rider.
We took it out in the backyard the day after Christmas. We set up a couple soda cans at the side of his playhouse, using it as a backstop.
His first shot missed, but the next one rang out, and the look on his face was  enought to tell me that we had something in common that we can share as a fun thing together.
Air rifles are great to begin with, and add to that, the fact that they can shoot some larger projectiles well.............
Wish you guys the best with yours. Looks to be some rough times ahead for all of us folks that own weapons no matter what type. Sure wish a lot more folks were better educated about the thing. But this is a far from perfect world for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version