Author Topic: BioLite Wood burning Cook Stove, (Merged Topics)  (Read 14007 times)

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Re: BioLite Wood burning Cook Stove, (Merged Topics)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

Neat! Now if the dollar survives and I have a job in the future I can buy one! The Nissan Leaf is coming also in November,$25,000 with kick backs from our broke government this is better then that The Chevy Volt at $40,000! Of course we will all be bankrupt by then! Go Figure.

kiteflyer

Offline joemommapoo

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »
I watched the video demos on the biolite website and it is an amazing jet stove, but no mention of the usb charging shown in the uberreview article.  I emailed the company and asked for details.  This is pretty cool.

Offline WRX06

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »
I know it isn't on the market yet but the tech in the thing is very interesting.  Hope we get to try them out next year.

http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

Offline zackandjen2004

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:12:51 PM »
This is basically a "rocket stove," right?  But of course much more shiny and green....

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:38:54 PM »
This is basically a "rocket stove," right?  But of course much more shiny and green....

With the addition of a thermoelectric cell and a small fan to improve airflow in the combustion chamber, yep.  My bet, though I haven't been able to confirm it, is that the fan permits them to build units smaller than an unpowered rocket stove; below a certain size, straight convective airflow wouldn't be sufficient to maintain the highly-efficient combustion required for rocket stoves.

This is a nearly-identical unit, though not as pretty, that powers the fan from a single AA battery rather than a thermocouple.  Backfit that bad boy with a high-temp thermocouple instead of the battery, and you've got the same thing, functionally, as the BioLite.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:56:20 PM »
This looks like a great product. A nice twist on the rocket stove, but provides power too.
No costs yet, but looks like a nice prep.
http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:43 AM »
Definitely an intriguing concept, especially the ability to charge small electronics using wood fuel.

Hope it gets to market, I'd like one (or two).

Offline PrairieSailor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:59:47 AM »
I like it, hope it is not made in China, I hate buying stuff from China.

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »
I forgot where I heard about them, I'm pretty sure it was some episode of TSP, but I've been waiting for several months for these things to be available.

Well, they're not available yet, BUT they are open for reservations and they announced a price ($129): http://biolite.myshopify.com/

This is about the coolest thing ever.

Offline Cianaodh

• Survivor
  • Dehydrated Water?
    • Temple Of the Standing Stones
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 05:46:49 AM »
Oh now that's cool!

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »
sweet, nice twist on an old standby...I thought of making something like this a few years back by using a peltier junction...i'm sure that's all they are doing...looks good too.

Offline CowboyZeroOne

• Fledgling Prepper
  • You like apples?
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »
There site recently changed.  It indicates that no more reservations can be made and you will be able to purchase them directly from the site starting Wednesday, May 9th.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 07:33:43 PM »
How difficult is it to get the fire started?
and any details on the power output? Volts I am guessing 5v because it is USB, but how any milliamperes?

This looks awesome!

Offline wormfood

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »
I just heard from a coworker that he ordered one and it arrived today, so apparently they are shipping now.  Looks like an interesting device, particularly for the 3rd world.

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 01:28:34 PM »
Got mine the other day. Posted a review and a 20+ minute video: http://olympicwanderer.com/2012/06/stove/
All in all, I like it. I'm on my way out to play with it some more right now

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 12:32:20 PM »
A fellow and I got to talking about this before lunch today and made me do some reading.  You have to charge it before you can use to provide power.  So you'll need to plug the power module into your desktop, laptop or maybe a cell phone USB charger (iPhone, etc) will work.  Wonder if a crank charger would work too....

I can see the need / use of this on the trail,.. but for that kind of money wonder if something else would be better at a cheaper price.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »
A fellow and I got to talking about this before lunch today and made me do some reading.  You have to charge it before you can use to provide power.  So you'll need to plug the power module into your desktop, laptop or maybe a cell phone USB charger (iPhone, etc) will work.  Wonder if a crank charger would work too....

I can see the need / use of this on the trail,.. but for that kind of money wonder if something else would be better at a cheaper price.
Not exactly correct.  According to their FAQ, using a fire will "condition" the battery for use.
If you have charged your battery using a USB charging outlet for two to six hours, you can consider your battery successfully conditioned. If you are unable to connect the battery to a USB source, you can light a fire to condition the battery, however, it may take longer to charge a device.

endurance

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 12:20:30 PM »
I'll be interested to see how the reviews come back on how effectively it works as a charger.  With my 10w home charger it takes over an hour to charge my Droid.  Specs say this charges 2w continuous output max, which means a full battery charge might take several hours.  That's a little disappointing.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 02:30:41 PM »
True, but this isn't a charger with a stove on it.  It's a stove with an auxhilary charger.  If I was carrying it while backpacking, I'd plug in the phone and start cooking.  I would want to recharge it each meal, not wait until the battery was almost dead.

endurance

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
Ounce for ounce, I think going solar would be the better option for backpacking if you are actually using your phone and need a full charge every day (either as a GPS or i-pod).

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »
Ounce for ounce, I think going solar would be the better option for backpacking if you are actually using your phone and need a full charge every day (either as a GPS or i-pod).
Most certainly, this thing is about 2 pounds.  Pretty darn heavy.  But I guess it probably would depend on where you are hiking.  But I think this is MUCH cooler than solar. ;)

Offline flatus

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
I got my BioLite stove earlier this week. I love this thing. As a stove it is like a miniature forge. It charged my phone from 10 to 30% in 30 minutes. I have an iPhone 4S that eats batteries. I think the best use for this stove is to maintain the charge on your devices not necessarily to go from 0% to full. In my BoB I have a 5 watt solar panel USB charger AND my BioLite stove. It plan on using both of these. I picked up a nice supply of Sanyo Eneloop batteries (thanks Mr. Harris & Jack) with a USB charger so I can charge any of my devices by either the stove, solar panel, or both. The stove does weigh a bit but I like having the security of knowing I have another method to charge my gear (especially flashlights). Although I carry spare batteries, this allows me to always have a freshly charged backup set with me.

Offline DieselMcStacked

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Beast Mode Supreme
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »
I got mine and started using it this last weekend. Overall, it was very disappointing. It was easy to light and the fan started working immediately. However, it burns through small pieces of wood so quickly that I was constantly breaking sticks and searching for more. You couldn't walk away for even a couple of minutes and the fire would be completely burned down. I didn't try to cook anything but I don't see how you even could. You would to remove the pot and replenish the fire so often it would take forever to get hot. Additionally, the charger only worked intermittently, and when it was on, it charged incredibly slowly. I tested it to see how much it could charge my Iphone 3GS and in three hours of constant attention it went from 27% charge to 49%. 7.5% charge/hour is obviously not worth the effort. The second day I tried again and couldn't even get the phone to start charging in over an hour of effort.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2012, 04:03:04 PM »
I got mine and started using it this last weekend. Overall, it was very disappointing. It was easy to light and the fan started working immediately. However, it burns through small pieces of wood so quickly that I was constantly breaking sticks and searching for more. You couldn't walk away for even a couple of minutes and the fire would be completely burned down. I didn't try to cook anything but I don't see how you even could. You would to remove the pot and replenish the fire so often it would take forever to get hot. Additionally, the charger only worked intermittently, and when it was on, it charged incredibly slowly. I tested it to see how much it could charge my Iphone 3GS and in three hours of constant attention it went from 27% charge to 49%. 7.5% charge/hour is obviously not worth the effort. The second day I tried again and couldn't even get the phone to start charging in over an hour of effort.

+1

Thanks for that helpful review, I'm crossing it off my wish list.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 06:51:09 PM »
Looks to me the charger is more for keeping the fan running than aux power. The big home version probably does better.

As for cooking, I think most of these stoves are used to boil water for dehydrated meals, oatmeal, coffee, etc. Not like you're doing pancakes for the whole scout troop on this...

endurance

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 05:35:05 AM »
Just read Andrew Skurka's review, which seems to be hitting a lot of the concerns already.

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/biolite-campstove-review/

That said, his primary camping stove is a cat food can that he took a paper hole punch to and burns denatured alcohol in it.  Weight is one of his primary considerations.