Author Topic: Do it YURT-self  (Read 9636 times)

tash

Do it YURT-self
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:24:32 PM »
This thread will follow the build process of my diy pvc yurt. This thread is kind of a follow up from another thread about the diy pvc greenhouse, found here . The thread was subsequently renamed after the build turned from a yurt to a greenhouse/cabin, which was quite alright as I wanted a greenhouse anyways.

Anyways, I went to Lowes and bought some 3/4" schedule 40 and some connectors this past weekend. Well, I got started and am having to put the build on hold a couple of days because I got a sweet deal on some pre-cut (not split) hardwood, about a rick and a half, for 30 bucks. Couldn't pass it up. So I spent the rest of the weekend splitting in the garage with my electric log splitter. A review of the splitter can be found here if you're interested.

The plan:
When its completed the walls will be 4 feet tall to ~ 6 feet tall at the apex. I've made this decision because I'll be able to stand up in it center, I really don't need to stand near the walls, 4 feet sections have a little more rigidity the 5 feet sections, It's supposed to be somewhat light weight, portable, and reliable. I don't need a massive structure. The width will be 9'6'' when erected. That's enough to sleep quite a new folks as need or possibly to put in a wood stove, which would be kinda cool.

Once I'm done I'll put up a materials list that included all the elbows, tees, sticks, etc.. that were used.

Feel free to leave any comments or questions. :)

tash

Re: Do it YURT-self
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »
Teaser shot:

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
Oh honey, I never get tired of your puns....

tash

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »
I've been saving that one for a while... like a month or so... It's all about the timing :)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »
Oh bad pun... I should ding you for that. But I won't. I'm waiting with bated breath to see this project completed..

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »
tash = resident PVC McGyver

Looks promising! ;)

tash

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 05:07:22 PM »
Update... or lack thereof

This is where I'm at. It's kinda hard to work in the garage with all this wood. If it would only stop raining so I can cart it into the back yard...

tash

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 05:10:37 PM »
Also, I wanted to let everyone know that while I was schlepping all that wood around I didn't yurt myself....

*you guys can blame that one on archer and his brew. thanks buddy!*

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »
Also, I wanted to let everyone know that while I was schlepping all that wood around I didn't yurt myself....

*you guys can blame that one on archer and his brew. thanks buddy!*
Oh? finally got it??? I hope Mrs Tash got a glass or two also?

Your garage sees more action than lots of people I know...

Offline wcff3431

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:52:19 PM »
tash i have a question how did you get all the angles the same on the ring

tash

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »
well, after taking all the parts into consideration that were available to me, i ended up with an octagon because there were only 45 and 90 degree pvc connectors available. I cut 1.25 inch pieces of pipe to serve as connectors between the 45 degree elbow and the 'tee' connector. when all pushed together it will look like one piece without gaps. unfortunately there was no 30 or 60 degree connectors, allowing me to make a hexagon. I originally wanted to do a hexagon but because of only having 45 degree connectors I ended up with an octagon shape.

wcff3431 i hope that helps. if there is anything else please feel free to ask or comment. I'll be more than happy to try and help.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 08:26:19 PM »

I think my shelter systems yurt is PVC. Did you get the idea from shelter systems ? I ordered mine off the internet several years ago. it 14 feet in diameter and about 7 feet high

tash

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »
surfivor yes indeed i did. It was from your stove thread in the homesteading and self reliant living forum. It got me thinking and I just had to build one of my own. Unfortunately, there is no way to build one like yours in aftermarket parts because of the complex angles that just aren't make in pvc pieces. This is my attempt though and I'm hoping it will turn out all right. All said and done it should be about 10 feet wide and could easily increase the width with another set of cut poles. I hope that by the time I'm done, I can have a set of poles that will make it about 10 feet wide, and a set of poles that will make it x feet wide, and so on. I think this will be possible due to the standard connecting joints. We'll see how it happens as I go. I should have sent you a message saying thanks for the inspiration but here's a plus 1 instead. It's not close but it's something. :)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 03:00:47 AM »
 Hey, no problem .. Do you think it will be that easy to make it ?

I looked at some of your other threads and the other structure you made. It looks interesting. Eventually my yurt will probably wear out from UV exposure and I'll have to replace it. If there was an easier way to make one that would be cool.

My Yurt ended up being extra expensive because it has a liner and is really two yurts, one inside the other ..

shelter systems yurts are not one piece of fabric but sheaths of sort that overlap each other so that they are breathable yet water proof. You must have looked on their website and noticed that ? I'm not sure that they are hard to make, mine appears to be made of simple materials, though the overall idea seems sort of ingenious and a bit complicated to duplicate. The material is some sort of stuff they use in swimming pools I think. Maybe you should order one and you can see how they did it ? I could perhaps post pictures of parts of it, but I'm not on this site all of the time anymore since I started a new job. I will check in here though as I'm curious about your project. Anyway, the places where the pipes interconnect are just small sections of larger pipes. The tricky part is the tent itself which is sections of the fabric held together with various connectors in a strange sort of way. The key thing is that the poles don't stand up on their own, you have to slide them into the small sections of pipe that are attached to the fabric which gives the whole thing it's structure once you get all the poles in. Those small pipe connectors are just two small pipes held together loosely with a piece of string so that they can move at any angle they need to which is just dictated by where the next connector is and how the larger pipe makes it all work when it is inserted between two of them. Each of those connectors is like a crosspiece where 4 different larger pipes come togther. Just about anyplace that looks like a pipe crosses another pipe is really just one of those small cross pieces where 4 pipes each end at. When I put the thing up, I start at the top or peak of the yurt and work towards  the the bottom. The last pipe that go in are the horizontal ones.

The guy who oversees the campsite where I have my truck camper wouldn't allow me to put up there yurt for some reason as they have rules about what kind of tent you can have on your site ...

I find shelters and such kind of interesting. I have some books on cabin building and such, but I think I'd have to be retired and a bit hard pressed to really go down that route. I noticed there are some books on treehouses which seem interesting as far as added security maybe.

The one thing about the yurt is it takes up a good amount of space. I eventually went out and bought a large nylon tent which was easier to put up and packed into a smaller area, but the yurt is preferable if I can camp in one spot for a long time. My mother harasses me abit as I store the yurt over in her garage along with alot of my other stuff. I bought an old folding kayak years ago that I don't use much either that's over there. Have you ever seen a folding kayak ? Pretty cool idea, a take apart wooden frame with a skin that goes over that. Very similar to how the eskimos did it. They have some that break down fairly small.

I live in the Boston area, where are you at ?

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:52:28 AM by surfivor »

tash

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »
Surfivor, I completely missed your last post. For some reason I thought I had already responded.... my apologies. I'm in northern Alabama. As you'll see in the post below I'm going to postpone/cancel my Yurt build.

Some day I'll pick up the pieces again and start over. No big deal.

Your Yurt sounds far superior to mine, which is why it has a much higher price tag. I'm not sure I'd want to stay in the one I was going to build for more than a few weeks. I think it would wear prematurely.

I, too, like shelters. My mom bought me a book called 'Shelter, Shacks and shanties'. It's 10 bucks or so and a pretty good real. They author knows what he's talking about and it has picture of lots of different types.

I'd really like to see a photo of your folding kayak. It sounds pretty cool.

tash

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:21:32 AM »
As a follow up, due to an opportunity that has arisen I will probably be discontinuing the Yurt build even before I really start it. My wife, son and I may very likely be moving within the next year, which is a very good thing. We live in a great subdivision but the lack of land has become an issue for us. I had planned on the Yurt replacing my tents but I think I'll return the material and concentrate my plans on the upcoming months ahead. I'll let everyone know in the coming months more details about the moving plans and motivations.