Finance and Economics > Investing and Saving

Must... stay.... strong...

(1/4) > >>

Trusty Mutsi:
I've been more alive since listening to the podcast and joining these forums than I have been in a long time. I've always felt I've been wasting too much time just entertaining myself.

One of my first plans to cut the fat was to sell my Nintendo Wii. I never play it anymore, and I already have an Xbox 360 which has more games on it than I need.

Now that I'm about to put it on ebay, the old obsessive self-indulgent thoughts are coming back to haunt me:

"You never finished that one game you really like."

"What if another game comes out that you want?"

These thoughts are crazy. As it is, I should be getting rid of a bunch of my 360 games as well. I should be spending my free time doing more camping and outdoor stuff. Ever since I got into thesurvivalpodcast, my wife and I talk more. I won't get rid of EVERYTHING, as I don't plan on NEVER having fun with games, but I need it to take up MUCH less of my time.

I need to not be lulled back into the "Always need more stuff I won't ever use" mentality.

Anybody else struggle with this type of thing?

DrGonzo:
Every day of my life!

Don't try to reinvent the wheel all at once.  Try to streamline your needs and then re-prioritize.  If you toss all your 'fun' stuff, you'll probably fall off the wagon and invest in the latest and greatest shiny toy. 

I find that digging through my possessions every six months or so, selling off what I don't use (if I haven't used it in six months, I will probably NEVER use it).  It keeps the clutter down and puts some money in my pocket for other things. 

In fact, I'm going to go sell a bunch of my old PS2 games right now. 

Trusty Mutsi:

--- Quote from: DrGonzo on September 26, 2008, 04:59:33 PM ---Every day of my life!

Don't try to reinvent the wheel all at once.  Try to streamline your needs and then re-prioritize.  If you toss all your 'fun' stuff, you'll probably fall off the wagon and invest in the latest and greatest shiny toy. 

I find that digging through my possessions every six months or so, selling off what I don't use (if I haven't used it in six months, I will probably NEVER use it).  It keeps the clutter down and puts some money in my pocket for other things. 

In fact, I'm going to go sell a bunch of my old PS2 games right now. 

--- End quote ---

Glad I'm not the only one.

I think I may finish the game on my Wii completely, and then sell it. It should only take a few days of playing. Otherwise I can see myself obsessing and wanting to buy it again. We're not so hard up for money. But I DO want to stop buying MORE stuff I don't need. I want to be very careful to enjoy what I ALREADY HAVE, and sell what I don't use anymore, but not go overboard, like you said.

I WOULD like to buy some magnesium and flint, and try to start a campfire by myself :)

DeltaEchoVictor:
I think we all struggle with it to some extent.  We're a consumer society so there's no getting away from it, it's been ingrained in us since birth. 

It sounds to me that you're already making a change though so don't be hard on yourself about it. 

jeremya:
I agree with DeltaEchoVictor our society is geared to promote this kind of behavior and most of us were raised to be consumers. So don't beat yourself up too much and don't try to go cold turkey either. Trim things down little by little and like Jack suggested give yourself time to think through your purchases to avoid impulse buying.

-- Jeremy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version