Author Topic: Retail Stores that deny your CCW permit...  (Read 18450 times)

Offline 423aaron

• Prepper
  • www.skillgarden.net
    • SkillGarden
Re: Retail Stores that deny your CCW permit...
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 05:45:42 AM »
TN also requires specific signage to legally post a premises.  Not the circle with a slash and a gun in it.  I have yet to happen on a location that is properly posted.

Govt. buildings being the exception.  They are normally properly posted.  This is redundant as they are "off limits" anyway.

A chain store called Big Lots here has the circle slash revolver sign in the window.  I called and talked to the manager.  He said he has a permit to and does not have a problem with CC in his store.  He had someone come in open carry or sloppy CC and scared the sheep.  So up went the sign.  Regardless the sign is invalid.

Aaron

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »
Just to play the devil's advocate here, I had a lunatic come into my store, with a 45 on his hip.  He was running around throwing stuff in the floor and screaming at his wife and kids.  When I asked if he was a police officer, he informed me he was not, BUT he had a permit.  I asked to verify, and I don't have any idea how he got one, but he had one all the same.  We all have permits, we all have weapons, but not one of us was brave enough to go up to him and ask him to leave.  We posted a sign that says "No Firearms", because the police told us that unless we have that sign posted, he has the right to wear it in.  We still bring our weapons, and if you wear one into our store and aren't acting like a lunatic, no one is going to say anything, but if you are acting like a lunatic, the police are going to ask you politely to leave.

Hi DarkEyes...  I'm sorry that one jerk has been the reason the rest of us can't play in the sandbox anymore.  I don't know where you are (no I didn't Google ya <grin>) or what the laws are there, but here in Alabama, with a CCW, we HAVE to be concealed, if we are sloppy and get caught, it's a "disturbing the peace" charge and who knows what possible fine/action might follow.  But I will tell you this, if you have a NO gun sign, me AND my money stop at your doorstep and look for another place to go spend it.  If you think that a sign is going to deter anyone (pronounced criminal) EXCEPT a law abiding citizen from walking in your store with a weapon...  well, good luck to ya.

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »
Wow, if you were in my state, you could have sued the pants off the department for a number of violations.  One thing about the NW is that we are loaded with sportsmen, and sportsmen love guns.  It is the single issue both Repubs and Dems can come to some agreement on.

I would probably find an attorney who is looking to make a name for himself and go to town.  At a minimum you would be able to force a public apology and have some departmental training done.  Then again, I don't know the laws down there.

Yeah, I know Stein.  Sometimes you also gotta know which battles are winnable.  Me and the lawyerly types usually don't get along to well either.  Had one hang me out on a limb for $50k one time on a contingency deal where I sued a jerk for non-payment after I had remodeled his 3500sf condo, he counter sued for a like amount and for two days the Judge sat there reading a Zane Gray paperback while we testified.  I figured the Judge had already made up his mind to "award" for both of us canceling out any monies actually received, but it would have left me holding the bag for my lawyers percentage of the $50k I had "won", and he was all for it too.  Never trusted a lawyer since.  If I was a lawyer, I'd rather tell my momma I was a piano player in a whorehouse than tell her what I really did.

Tim.

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »
In Texas, the "No Guns" or the "No Barettas" sign as we call it means nothing.  In order for an establishment to prohibit CHL holders from entering with their weapon on their person, they must display a specific sign with the specific lettering of the code that allows them to do so.  It must be in a specific size text and in both English and in Spanish.

Rather than cause a scene, just went back to the truck and disarmed.  I don't go into TC's anymore b/c of it.

The only thing that businesses do by restricting law-abiding citizens from lawfully carrying in their establishment is to establish a criminal safety zone where they can run amuck and not have to worry about having one of their victims protect themselves.

Hi BigDan!  Been missing seeing your posts for a while.  Ditto on the "exact" wording.  Here it has to say "NO".  UAB Hospital has a sign (not on all entrances btw) that reads "NOTICE:  Persons with weapons are subject to search and seizure.".  I don't thinks so.  And I really wonder how much they pay the idiot that came up with that wording, really?  As I have mentioned elsewhere on TSP, UAB Police is the same PD that stole my middle son's Jeep, but you all gotta wait for that story.

I have seen the "No Baretta" version of the sign, and hadn't thought about using that approach as an "out" if I got caught.  "Uh, gee Osifer, it ain't no Buretter, it's a Taurus!".

But if it's a place you simply "have" to go, yeah, what are you gonna do but leave it behind in your vehicle and hope and pray it and all your windows are still there when you return. 

Tim.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 08:40:12 PM »
A chain store called Big Lots here has the circle slash revolver sign in the window. 
Aaron

Big Lot's?  Really?  That's the first I've heard of them having a "No" policy.  And I went and checked the other stores that have been mentioned in this thread as well, and no signage at CostCo, no signage at Waffle House either.  I wonder if it's a "at the Manager's discretion" sort of thing?

Tim.

Offline 423aaron

• Prepper
  • www.skillgarden.net
    • SkillGarden
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 04:30:54 AM »
A chain store called Big Lots here has the circle slash revolver sign in the window. 
Aaron

Big Lot's?  Really?  That's the first I've heard of them having a "No" policy.  And I went and checked the other stores that have been mentioned in this thread as well, and no signage at CostCo, no signage at Waffle House either.  I wonder if it's a "at the Manager's discretion" sort of thing?

Tim.

I know it was for this store.  I had been in several times and no sign.  Then it was added.  I called about it.  The manager said "I put it up".  For the reasons I described.  I do not think it is a corporate policy.  From what I got in my conversation with him I do not think he is at all anti-CCW.  He just wanted to keep the blinders on for the sheep.

Aaron

millerized1

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 06:12:02 AM »
no signage at Waffle House either.  I wonder if it's a "at the Manager's discretion" sort of thing?

Tim.

Costco seems to be hit or miss.  Supposedly it's corporate policy, but usually the local manager can or won't post the sign....hit or miss on the stores.

Waffle House is Corporate policy.  I got the letter directly from the business manager at the corporate office.  I thought she was pulling my leg since WH is a bastion for early morning hunters breakfasts here in WV.  Nope, she was serious and it didn't matter if it was open carry (legal here) or concealed, policy was NO FIREARMS or weapons period.  They went as far as letting me know in a local  area that you couldn't even have visible guns in vehicles (read rifle racks).....yeah, that'll fly. 

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/general-firearm-discussion/46645-letter-anti-gun-waffle-house.html with the "thread on another forum" being my original one on AR15.com.

Needless to say, NRAILA, RKBA, JPFO, WVCDL, VACDL....anyone and anyplace I could find that I thought needed that information got it.

They (WH) haven't gotten a cent of mine since, but they do get one of those "cards" if I'm in the area and eating at a nearby restaurant.....just for, well, me being me. ;D 

I handed out many of those cards in the parking lot for those hunters going in, telling them to give the card out when they went in and that shey should take their business elsewhere.....most were Fudds, and they could care less.  Some walked in, and walked out.  The manager called the State Police on me, and they politely asked me to leave.....(oh, Law Enforcement is OK to eat there ::) )

Face it, they don't want my dirty gun handling money, they won't get it.  Ask and ye shall receive.
 (awh, poo... :'( :'(...certain WH locations filed for bankruptcy.....http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2008/11/bad_news_waffle.shtml   :D )
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 06:27:45 AM by Millerized »

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 06:38:15 AM »
Tim.
WOW. That's was a messed up situation. I eagerly await the continuation of the story.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 09:39:58 AM »
Tim.
WOW. That's was a messed up situation. I eagerly await the continuation of the story.

Millerized...  You never cease to amaze.  And rightfully so.  Sometimes a man just has to do what a man has to do.

Patriot2980...  The story will continue, just not at the moment.  I'm typing on my POS Toshiba laptop that will short out if I even look at it hard, propped on boxes, hanging off the end of the bed, with a coat hanger run out the window as a WiFi "boost" (and it's working), connected to a signal that quits every 5 minutes like clockwork.  So, yeah, just not now.   Have patience, it'll be worth it.

Tim.

johnnybgood30

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »
so how any one know that your carrying other than the cops?ive never had a proplem thats why its a ccw

Offline haloblue

• Survivor
  • IAM: not amused
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 07:58:08 AM »
Great story Tim. Scary, but great. I look forward to reading the continuing saga.

Next door here in GA, the CCW stuff works differently. You are not required to tell any state officer you are armed. In fact, it has been my experience that it's better not to - unless he asks, and then maybe. Too much drama. Though I will say that while traveling in FL last year, I got pulled over by an Orange County sheriff's deputy who wanted a nice, leisurely fishing expedition because of my GA tag. He wanted registration which was in the glove box along with my side arm. I calmly and politely informed him and he was a real human about me slowly handing it to him whilst I retrieved the reg for my car. I was pleasantly surprised. All ended well with both of us parting ways amicably.

With regard to the GA statues and CCW, the property/store owner/manager may post all the signs they want since it is private property. If you are spotted open carrying or printing concealed, the only thing the owner/manager can do is to ask you to leave. If you refuse, it's criminal trespass - from my interpretation of the current law.

I tend to carry everywhere, and I do it concealed except for the places that the state deems completely off limits - church, state building, fed buildings. 2008's HB89 got rid of the no carry nonsense where alcohol is served, so restaurants and bars are back in play.

From my point of view, I will not disarm regardless of a business's opinion on CCW, though I give special consideration to gun stores as they can be jumpy sometimes. What I have on my person is my concern and not theirs. If asked to leave because of CCW, I will graciously comply and never shop there again.

One man's opinion, YMMV.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 08:48:19 AM »
While driving through Ohio, I noticed that the rest stops on the Ohio Turnpike have prominent "No Guns Allowed" signs on all the entrances.

Ed

These signs are no longer valid.

http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3990/83/