Author Topic: Laundry Detergent  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Riverman

• Prepper
Laundry Detergent
« on: March 19, 2010, 07:06:13 AM »
Hi everyone, I recently went to the store and when I purchased laundry detergent I almost fell out on the floor. I was paying $15 for 1/2 gallon of laundry detergent...does anyone have a good substitute for laundry and/or for solution long term storage you could go broke stockpiling laundry detergent....

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
Re: Laundry Detergent
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 07:26:58 AM »

http://www.calbenpuresoap.com/seafoam.htm

I have been using the same 25 pound box of this powdered detergent for a few years now (single, offshore worker, so almost half of my time is away from home). I use a little over 1/2 a scoop (which weighs almost exactly 1/2 ounce) per normal wash load. If you research powdered detergent, you will find that the bulk of what you are buying is filler and foaming agents...none of which are necessary for cleaning fabrics. For the price of $43 for a 25 pound box at the rate I use the product, I calculate I have about 800 uses from this box (actually less, to compensate for those really dirty loads that require a full 3/4 ounce scoop), which cost me a little over 5 cents for each use. Also, it is perfume and dye free. Being somewhat chemically sensitive, I love this product.

I am also a big fan of their bar soap, which, when purchased in a case of 100, costs just a tad over $1 each. The bars are not huge, I'd say average size (3 ounces) but they are perfect for daily use as well as travel, BOB, etc.

I have no financial ties to this company...just a very happy customer who wishes Cal Ben Soap would choose better places to advertise. I'll just leave it at that.

Good product, very happy with their customer service and prices.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
Check out this thread:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=2808.0

Many of us make our own laundry detergent -- it's very inexpensive and easy to do. You can make either powdered type or liquid for a lot less than buying it in the stores. I use the dry stuff... grate a bar of fels naptha soap, add washing soda (not baking soda) and borax...

thanks, crispy critter, for the info about cal ben soap... looks like great stuff!

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
http://www.calbenpuresoap.com/seafoam.htm

I have been using the same 25 pound box of this powdered detergent for a few years now (single, offshore worker, so almost half of my time is away from home). I use a little over 1/2 a scoop (which weighs almost exactly 1/2 ounce) per normal wash load. If you research powdered detergent, you will find that the bulk of what you are buying is filler and foaming agents...none of which are necessary for cleaning fabrics. For the price of $43 for a 25 pound box at the rate I use the product, I calculate I have about 800 uses from this box (actually less, to compensate for those really dirty loads that require a full 3/4 ounce scoop), which cost me a little over 5 cents for each use. Also, it is perfume and dye free. Being somewhat chemically sensitive, I love this product.

I am also a big fan of their bar soap, which, when purchased in a case of 100, costs just a tad over $1 each. The bars are not huge, I'd say average size (3 ounces) but they are perfect for daily use as well as travel, BOB, etc.

I have no financial ties to this company...just a very happy customer who wishes Cal Ben Soap would choose better places to advertise. I'll just leave it at that.

Good product, very happy with their customer service and prices.

i agree with all statements above.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:59:38 PM »
i have been making and using my own laundry soap for 2 years now. It costs about .05 per load. I use ivory soap instead of fels naptha because I like the scent better. I have made liquid and dry from the same ingredients. I love it. I am trying to find other home made alternatives.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
SweetheartsMom- I use a mix of fels naptha and ZOAT laundry soap. Fels cleans well but Zoat gets rid of that chemical/hospital scent.  I can't use Ivory at all, breaks me out in hives.....which is the funniest irony ever-my name came from an Ivory Soap commercial my parents saw in '65 lol. "C.J. just loves his ivory soap"  ::) :D

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
ummm...no idea why that just double posted.

fixed it for you :)... LvsChant
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:55:11 AM by lvschant »

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
SweetheartsMom- I use a mix of fels naptha and ZOAT laundry soap. Fels cleans well but Zoat gets rid of that chemical/hospital scent.  I can't use Ivory at all, breaks me out in hives.....which is the funniest irony ever-my name came from an Ivory Soap commercial my parents saw in '65 lol. "C.J. just loves his ivory soap"  ::) :D

Excellent! (Not the hives, I suffer from them too). Thanks for the tip on using Zoat. Time for me to learn another skill!  :)

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 06:57:31 PM »
Wow hives from Ivory. interesting. I will keep that in mind. I just hate the smell of Fels.

Offline Riverman

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
Thanks for all the great replies....I am trying the "cal ben pure soap" now.
I have problems with breaking out with some soaps as well...we will see how this does...

thanks again!
Riverman

Offline HelenWheels

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hooah!
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:16 AM »
i have been making and using my own laundry soap for 2 years now. It costs about .05 per load. I use ivory soap instead of fels naptha because I like the scent better. I have made liquid and dry from the same ingredients. I love it. I am trying to find other home made alternatives.

Would you post the "recipe" for using the ivory and the fels? I would like to make both.

Thanks!

HW

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=13602.0

Recipes for liquid or dry laundry soap, as well as other household cleaners at that thread...

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 09:59:50 PM »
Powdered Laundry Detergent

1 Cup Grated Fels Naptha Soap (ivory)
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax

For light load, use 1 tablespoon.
For heavy or heavily soiled load, use 2 tablespoons.

Liquid Laundry Detergents

Recipe #1

3 Pints Water
1/3 Bar Fels Naptha Soap, (or Ivory) Grated
1/2 Cup Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Borax
2 Gallon Bucket
1 Quart Hot Water
Hot Water

Mix Fels Naptha soap in a saucepan with 3 pints of water, and heat on low until dissolved. Stir in Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until thickened, and remove from heat. Add 1 Quart Hot Water to 2 Gallon Bucket. Add soap mixture, and mix well. Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well. Set aside for 24 hours, or until mixture thickens. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.

Offline Crispy Critter

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 06:43:06 AM »
Where do you guys and gals find Fels Naptha soap?

I've found all the other ingredients quite easily.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 09:43:17 AM »
Some grocery stores stock it... it will be found usually lurking on the topmost or bottommost shelf among the low turnover items. If you can't find it in any of your local grocery stores, a number of online places sell it. If you buy it in bulk, the shipping costs aren't too bad.

Offline TeamStone

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
Where do you guys and gals find Fels Naptha soap?

Around here it is carried by my local Publix.  It is on the same shelves as the rest of the laundry stuff.

Offline Sweethearts Mom

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 05:11:51 PM »
I think kroger has it. yep it is on the top shelf hiding with the washing soda and borax.

Offline dc0145a

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
I use a recipe similar to "Sweethearts Mom".

2 cups finely grated Fels Naptha Soap  (purchased at local grocery store  market basket)d
1 cup arm & hammer washing soda   
1 cup borax

2 tablespoons per load

I've also replaced the Fels Naptha with my own goat milk soap.

Offline CookingtoSurvive

• Prepper
    • Cooking to survive
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:56 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109349/do-it-yourself-laundry-detergent
I could not believe this when I first saw it on yahoo news of all places. Prepping is going more and more mainstream. There is hope yet.