Author Topic: __33w__ GardenDate; 2020  (Read 335 times)

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
__33w__ GardenDate; 2020
« on: February 22, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
I'm in mid-Michigan, along the boundary between zone's 5 & 6.  Last frost date is June 1st.  I currently have 3 4'x8'x20" raised beds, and a bunch of containers.  I have about 2'x2' of planted asparagus, Mary Washington; a couple of crowns in their third season, and a bunch from seed in its second.  I also have 1'x2' of grocery store garlic planted, we'll see if it comes up in the spring.

My home faces to the NW.  The front yard has good sun.  I have two 3-variety apple trees, blueberries, raspberries, and goji berries there.  The backyard has many trees, so I'm putting beds in the areas with best sunlight.

Plan:  I have a 2025 goal of growing 50% of my family's produce.  This is the first year that I'll be tracking harvests by weight.

I will be adding 2 4'x8'x20" beds, and I think I am going to risk moving my asparagus to a dedicated 3'x3' bed.  Writing this, I'm wondering if I should grab another pack of asparagus seed to add to the bed...

This year I would like to begin some seed saving.  First, bush snap beans - I'm collecting from a few sources with the intent of creating a land race.  Also, tomatoes and peppers.

Bed 1: Dark Red Norland Potatoes (Johnny's)
Bed 2: 50% Adirondack Blue Potato / 50% German Butterball Potato (High Mowing)
Bed 3: Various Tomatoes: Yellow Pear, Green Grape, Black Cherry, Bloody Butcher, Anna Russian, Snow White, Chadwick, Black Plum (Annie's); Black Cherry (High Mowing); Brad's Atomic Grape (Baker Creek); Homestead (seed swap)
Bed 4: 2sqft Garlic (grocery); 2sqft Dorata di Parma Onion (Annie's); 16sqft Mix of Bush Beans (Annie's, MIGardener, seed swap); 4sqft Oxheart carrot (Baker Creek), 4sqft Uzbek golden carrot (Baker Creek), 4sqft red core chantennay carrot (NE Seed)
Bed 5: 2sqft muncher cucumber (Annie's), 2sqft straight 8 cucumber (MIGardener), 2 sqft rainbow chard (MIGardener), 2sqft Tatsoi (Baker Creek), remainder TBD

Back deck containers: Pepperoncinis (NE Seed), Poblanos (NE Seed), Aji Charapita (Baker Creek), Tomatoes (see above), Potatoes (see above), Herbs (Annie's, NE Seed, Johnny's)
Hanging baskets: Currant tomatoes (Territorial, MIGardener)
Indoor: Lettuces, Herbs, Micro Tom tomato, Orange Hat tomato, Minibel tomato (Baker Creek), Coffee (MIGardener)
Front yard: Saffron Crocus (Eden Brothers)

Unplanned: Walking stick cabbage (swap), bell peppers (Annie's), pumpkin (Annie's), watermelon (High Mowing), zucchini (swap), sunflowers (Lake Valley), ornamental flowers (Annie's, High Mowing, Baker Creek), broccoli (swap), sweet corn (swap), popcorn (swap), runner beans(MIGardener), Hansen's Bush Cherry & Elderberry (Rare Plant/Nick Ferguson).

Log:

2/1: Started 9 tomatoes.  3 each of Orange Hat, Mirco Tom, and Minibel.  All from Baker Creek.
2/8: 6/9 tomatoes have germinated.  3 minibel, 2 micro tom, 1 orange hat.
2/13: Started 4 cans for the "pepper in a can" challenge on fb.  2 seeds each of pepperoncini (NE seed), aji charapita (Baker Creek), tobasco (seed swap), and African Bird-eye (seed swap)
2/20: Of the peppers, only the pepperoncini has germinated (100%!)
2/22:  Potted up one of the minibel tomatoes to a 3.5 pot w/soil.  Started a container of potting soil with red core chantennay and cosmic purple carrot.  Started woven pots w/starter mix of opal basil, genovese basil, and ice queen lettuce; all destined for kratky system.  Setup lights and heater in office to boost germination.

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
Re: __33w__ GardenDate; 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »
Holding for future log entries.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
Are those in the 'unplanned' category seeds that you have but aren't planting?  Or seeds/plants that you're planting, but haven't figure out where yet?  I can relate to either scenario!!  :)

How's the Hansen Bush Cherry?  I'm interested in a small cherry of some sort. 

I love asparagus.  Great taste, low maintenance and they just keep producing year after year! 

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »
Are those in the 'unplanned' category seeds that you have but aren't planting?  Or seeds/plants that you're planting, but haven't figure out where yet?  I can relate to either scenario!!  :)

How's the Hansen Bush Cherry?  I'm interested in a small cherry of some sort. 

I love asparagus.  Great taste, low maintenance and they just keep producing year after year!

Ones that I'm probably going to plant, just haven't figured out where yet.  There's some unplanned bed space where I'll fit a few in.

Don't know yet on the Hansen's Bush Cherry, those will be shipping later this spring, and it will probably be next year before I've got anything of interest to report.

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:25 PM »
Whelp, it looks like I can't edit the previous post to add updates.  Oops.

3/4: Currently in Fool's Spring.  43 degrees out and sunny, high of 61 on Sunday!  But I know better, and freezing temps are still in the forecast.  Low temps at night will be good for the maple sap.

Saw some garlic start to peek through the leaf mulch outside, and buds of the apple trees.

Inside, seed starting is just getting started.  My setup is two of the 45W Kingbo lights, a wire shelf, and a space heater (on cold days, this room can drop to ~60, so I nudge it up).  I have a container of carrots starting to come up nicely.  The Orange Hat, Micro Tom, and Minibel tomatoes continue to grow.  One of each will be destined for kratky, while the others get potted, probably weekend after next.  Some of the basil and/or lettuce sprouted.  Only a single seedling of the dark opal basil came up, none of the lettuce.  Going to try these in the rapid rooter plugs next.

2 of my peppers in a can have come up: the pepperoncini and aji charapita.  Probably won't waste too many more seeds fiddling with the others, rather would just get them growing in seed starter. 

Lastly, the Thai basil that my wife mistakenly bought is holding on okay.  I'll need to pot this up soon as well to give it a better shot.

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »
Photos!

First is of my beds - new one in the foreground, and the three old ones in the back.  Since the photo, I've finished the sides on that one, and broke ground on a 5th using the same blocks/2x6s.

Second is of my current composting mess.  I'm in the process of building a Lehigh composter and turning my compost while moving it.  I've also got some leftover soil/compost that will go into the new beds.

Third is of my garlic poking through.  This is grocery store garlic from last year, planted in October (I think).

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »
I'm not familiar with a Lehigh composter.  I'll have to look into it.  Why did you choose it instead of other types?

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
Don't have an incredibly good reason, learned of it through the You Bet Your Garden podcast and wanted to give it a try.  One change that I've made (that hopefully works out okay) is not using rebar in the corners, and rather notching both sides of the board and building the composter Lincoln Log style.  The boards are 4' long, with a 2" wide, 1/2" deep notch 1" in from the end.  That makes the interior dimensions 42"x42".  27" (10.5 layers) will be a cubic yard.  I am turning my compost as I move it into the new system. 

You can also use this style for a large potato tower, and in the off season store the boards flat and out of the way.

One of the only pictures online that I was able to find, and my implementation.

Offline __33w__

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban MI
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »
Pretty good day today!

Started a 72-cell seed starter, reuse from last year, to start tomatoes, peppers, and a few other things. Kicked off some hydro basil using the rapid rooster plugs and 1/4 strength master blend combo. Intend to move those over, 3 net pots to a 5-gal bucket once the germinate.

For stuff previously going, I’ve got one good tomato, 4 okayish peppers, and good thai basil. Garlic is doing really well out in the bed. I also found a few garlic shoots where I had planted them! Marked them with rocks to keep from stepping on them.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 02:43:42 PM »
Looks good, 33w!

I like that compost system.