Author Topic: Morel Mushroom Hunters?  (Read 4704 times)

Offline IowaFreak

• Prepper
    • Iowa Gun Trader
Morel Mushroom Hunters?
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:55:18 PM »
Didn't know where to put this post... please move if this is the wrong area.

Any morel mushroom hunters on here? I've heard of some greys and a few yellows being found in southern Iowa.

Anyone had any luck? We are going to look around this weekend.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Morel Mushroom Hunters?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
Oh yeah, that's big sport here in KY.  We haven't went looking this year but usually someone has luck.  If you search rocky land near river bottoms you find three things here in KY.  Seng, morels and rattlesnakes.

Just watch out for the false ones (morels that is).

J

Offline MsJohnBarleycorn

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
I'm 35 miles west of Des Moines.  I just took a stroll down the RRV bike trail and there were a couple mushroom hunters having some luck.  Yum!   ;D

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
only found 4 so far this year (mo/ks state line area) and it's not for a lack of effort. i've walked more this year
than all of last year probably! it's great to get out, but man my skillet is lonely.
one of the fields i go to just got burned off today, i've heard that can help...not sure.

ticks however are more than plentiful. except in the above mentioned field that is :D (take that ya lil bastards)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »
I know some folks here who have had some luck. I would kill for a reliable spot. My great uncle was a notorious shroom hound. Took most of that info with him when he passed.

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
one of the fields i go to just got burned off today, i've heard that can help...not sure.

I read that this is a defense mechanism from the morels. Their food source gets burned off so they send out a bunch of mushrooms to try and spread spores. If that's true then the mushy hunters are helping by picking them and carrying them all around, spreading the spores around for future generations.

Offline tbharris09

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:25 PM »
It's definately slower this year than past years.  Our best day so far was about 30 morels but overall I do have about a gallon dried and stored.  I will be back out hunting this weekend and hope to have some decent luck.

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
haha...good for you! i'd take 30 any day :) can i ask how you dried and stored them?
assuming i eventually find some, i'd like to try dehydrating some.

went out tonight to the burnt field. nothing. might be too soon. we're due for rain the rest of the week, so
that should make things interesting. need to find some new haunts though.

Offline tbharris09

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 05:51:57 AM »
I just used a standard dehydrator and store them in 1/2 gallon canning jars.  I'm not worried about long term storage since most of them will be gone by fall anyways.  30 is a decent day but nothing like I am used to.  Here is a picture from last year.

There was somewhere between 75 - 80 morels found that day.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 06:24:04 AM »
We are expecting a little rain in the next couple of days (Its a tad dry yet) in eastern Iowa.  Gonna be going out to a few choice spots Tuesday and Wednesday night.  Looking forward to it.  (Got a few GPS'd coordinates of some big finds last year at the in laws that we may hit tomorrow night.  Pulled about 50 out of there last year).

I'm still waiting on the sulfur's.  Morels are great, but the sulfurs are my favorite.  I seem to get lucky every other year or so and find a huge patch of perfectly ripe sulfurs.  (This is the other year since I didn't find a single group last year, so i'm excited LOL).

I think that is one of the things I miss most about my father.  He was an extraordinary mushroom hunter with a tremendous knowledge of the different varieties.  And before his Asthma/emphysema limited his walking, that along with fishing were two of my favorite pastimes with him.

Good luck everyone, hope you "Bag" your limit. LOL

Offline tbharris09

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
The season seems to be over here.  Had some decent days but nothing to write home about.  Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.