Author Topic: Highest Wattage 12V solar panel?  (Read 6283 times)

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
Highest Wattage 12V solar panel?
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:38:03 AM »
Seems they top out at 150 Watts.  I have 1700 Watts at 12V currently, and wish to stay that way, anyone see any others out there with higher wattages?

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP Forum member
    • DIY Biochar
Re: Highest Wattage 12V solar panel?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »
You could try these guys, a friend got a bunch of panels from them and they work great!

http://www.wholesalesolar.com/

I think he has around 40 some panels.......

John

Offline SergioFields

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 01:22:58 AM »
Seems they top out at 150 Watts.  I have 1700 Watts at 12V currently, and wish to stay that way, anyone see any others out there with higher wattages?
Were you able to find panels with higher wattages? I have been searching for a while so can you help me out?

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:35 AM »
There are bigger panels, but they are freight shipment only so they are EXPENSIVE to by only one or two.  Most online stores don't list them because no one buys them when they see the shipping cost.  If you want to buy a whole pallet, or better yet a full container of them, they are cheap per watt.  But if they need to go FedEx/UPS, the 150's are cheapest to your door one at a time. 

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:46 AM »
But TWELVE VOLT PANELS ARE TWENTY VOLTS...not 12 volts.That is why charge controllers are needed.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:27 AM »
But TWELVE VOLT PANELS ARE TWENTY VOLTS...not 12 volts.That is why charge controllers are needed.

I completely missed the 12 volt requirement.  You can't get more because you are at the amps limit of internal connectors.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:01:17 PM »

Right, Carl.  In fact, due to poor insolation at my previous location, I connected the 12V panels in series to feed my 12V charge controller (which had a 48V Vin max).  In practice, the solar input never got above about 28 volts, again because of so much shading in my location.

Offline SergioFields

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:50 AM »

Were you able to find solar kits with higher wattages? I have been searching for a while so can you help me out?

Ok thanks for reply