Author Topic: Eats at Beavers bend and the Emberlit  (Read 2445 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Eats at Beavers bend and the Emberlit
« on: December 06, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »
With our recent trip to Beavers bend, we tried some new foods and cooking equipment. 

First I wanted to pair up my MSR Pocket Rocket with a Coleman MAX cook set that I had recently acquired.

Second, I have been jonesing to give the Emberlit a test drive.

Pictured here are:
Tortillas, (went with most meals)
Peanut butter and jelly,  (PB&J tacos)
Spam singles
MSR Pocket Rocket,
Coleman MAX cookset,
Dehydrated soups.
Home dehydrated corn and ground beef  with taco seasoning. (Tacos and shepherds pie)
Dehydrated refried beans,  (tacos)
Emberlit,
Pancake mix
Old El Paso tortilla stuffer,
Potatos, ( shepherds pie)
Gravy (changed to brown for shepherds pie)

None of the photos using the Pocket Rocket turned out well,  but is was used to prepare most of our meals

The Emberlit.

I liked this thing just as soon as I got my hands on it, but we were under some rather severe burn ban restrictions this summer and most of the fall.  Not just open fires, but charcoal grills, and wood fire places to boot.  There was not only heavy fines but jail time being spread around. I dicided to wait before I gave the Emberlit a try, but one I did I was not disappointed.

My first wood burning stoves were ones that I made out of coffee cans.  They worked well, but were not used because they were bulky and messy when nesting with pots. O bought a pocket cooker a few years ago and I liked it, but it was a pain in the ass to use.  It was nice and small and folded up even smaller, but you had to constantly feed the thing to keep it going. It was not used much and it was not long before it was relegated to my relic and curio gear.

The MSR was set to the task of making coffee so I gathered up enough would that I figured would get me through the first item I was cooking with it,

Hash browns

I over did it with the hash browns and they too quite a while to cook, bit I still had  plenty of fuel

Right before we left, Kristy brought this little griddle home that she picked up somewhere.  I took the handle off and it works great wit the Emberlit

Pancakes

Eggs

and still plenty to keep the coffee hot

Hash browns, six has pancakes, three eggs, warming some precooked bacon and keeping the coffe hot and I never had to gather any more fuel

nwmanitou,

You , sir, have made one hell of a little stove.

nkawtg

Re: Eats at Beavers bend and the Emberlit
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
That's a cool little rocket stove.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Eats at Beavers bend and the Emberlit
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:26:56 AM »
Nice review Dr Thumbs. Thanks!