Author Topic: Which Skills Should We Learn First?  (Read 9104 times)

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
Which Skills Should We Learn First?
« on: December 17, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
In any major cataclysmic event the most important thing anyone can have, aside from basic food, water and shelter will be technological knowledge.  What basic skills are most important to learn now? 

I am a city dweller with very few of these skills and I am am looking for some advice on where to start - i.e. should I learn basic plumbing and carpentry, building a long-term shelter or water storage etc...

(I don't want to get into gardening because Jack covers that subject extensively and there is a lot about it in the forum.  I am curious to know what is your opinion of which skills are most important besides gardening).

Thanks

tash

Re: Which Skills Should We Learn First?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:26:06 PM »
IMO making fire is up on the list...unfortunately I'm at work and can't elaborate more but I'll try too when I get home this evening...

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Fire, very important!
How would you create fire without matches or a lighter in an urban environment?  How would you heat a house or apartment without a fire place and electricity?

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:59:38 PM »
Jwatt,

From what I gather from your posts in other threads is that you live in Israel. 
If you are, what ,if any kind of things are involved in the emergency planning\preps for your area?  Would be interesting to know.

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »
I still live in America but I plan to prepare no matter where I live. 

Israel poses some unique problems:  It is a very small country, most people live in dense urban cities, there are not a lot of land and water resources.  There is actually a lot of historical documentation of how people did (and didn't) survive SHTF scenarios.   Jeremiah describes how people resorted to Cannibalism when Jerusalem was besieged by the Babylonians.  Today our biggest risk is economic isolation and water (actually the other way around).  If there was a war I would fight with everyone else.  If Iran or another country launched nukes, if I didn't die, I would get outta town.  The country is so small (about the size of New Jersey) that if something did happen, there really is no place to run.  The extreme North (Golan Heights) is very underpopulated but not practical as a bug out location.  It would probably be attacked and overrun by Syria if Israel's army and resources were focused on a larger disaster or multiple front war.  I wouldn't want to take my chances in the South in the desert.  If the water system is disrupted than you die. 
I am seriously considering purchasing some land somewhere in the U.S.  to maintain as a bug-out location (and vacation home) if I do live in Israel.   
Storing food and PLENTY of water is always expedient.  We have a huge network of family to rely on for multiple locations to escape to but also to support in a disaster. 

Here is my survival plan:  Rely on G-d.  Own property in the USA. 

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:44 PM »
Fire, very important!
How would you create fire without matches or a lighter in an urban environment?  How would you heat a house or apartment without a fire place and electricity?
Here's a thread on ways to start a fire:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=937.0

Here is a list of skills to start learning:
You must study surviving with NO supplies.
You must be able to take a sharp rock and make a fireboard and spindle to make a fire, and actually be able to demonstrate this skill.
You must know at least 40 edible and medicinal plants.
You must know how to construct and set deadfalls, snares, fishtraps, and bird traps.
You must keep your body in the best physical condition, being able to run, jump, swim, and climb like an animal.
You must know how to predict the weather, and live in extremes of hot and cold.
You must know how to purify water - or you will surely perish.
You must know how to defend yourself with a stick, which can be a wicked weapon.
You must learn to navigate by the sun, moon, and stars.
You must know how to tan hides, and make clothes for yourself.
You must know how to track and hunt.
All of this is just the beginning of knowledge on the road to becoming a Human, so you better get busy, time is short and the road is long.
Good Luck!

Skills to work on:
blacksmithing
butchering
camping
canning
carpentry
cooking
dehydrating foods
electrical knowledge
fishing
gardening
hiking
horsemanship
knots
map reading
marksmanship
mechanical
outdoor living
raising chickens and other animals
start a fire
tanning
tracking
trapping
weather predicting
and a few others that just slip my mind right now.
The skills are fun to learn when you don't need to do it perfectly yesterday.

And more:
25 Medical Skills You Need to Know

You never know when you will be faced with a medical emergency. Would you know what to do? Here are 25 basic medical skills that everyone should know:
How to do CPR
How to use an AED
How to do the Heimlich Maneuver
How to take a pulse and a temperature
How to take a blood pressure
How to backboard and C-collar a patient
How to clean, medicate, and dress a wound
How to immobilize a fractured limb
How to treat someone who is in shock
How to control bleeding
How to treat a burn
How to recognize and treat an allergic reaction
Appropriate use of medications (prescription, over the counter, and naturopathic)
How to care for someone who is ill
How to identify and treat common illnesses
How to suture a wound
How to treat infections
How to identify and care for someone with a head injury
How to prevent the spread of disease and infection
How to deliver a baby
How to give an injection
How to identify and treat poisoning
What Universal Precautions are and why you need to use them
How to treat environmental emergencies
How to know when to seek advanced medical assistance

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:34:51 PM »
I

Damn I kinda like that way that sounds. That could almost be a bumper sticker or something. Well as to your original question on how to start a fire without matches, there is aways the old battery and steel wool trick. Since you are talking about some basic skills to have to make yourself more useful in a more urban setting. I would say learn basic Electrical, Carpentry, Plumbing, Gardening, Animal Husbandry, and First Aid skills.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 04:40:48 PM by Spamity Calamity »

tash

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »
wow archer... I was gonna list EVERY SINGLE one of those but you beat me too it...   ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »
wow archer... I was gonna list EVERY SINGLE one of those but you beat me too it...   ;)
Thanks. I collected a 'few' skills to learn... I've barely scratched that list...

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »
In how many of those skills are you proficient?

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:02:00 PM »
Catchy phrase but it's fairly short sighted.

Not that faith isn't important but faith isn't going to keep you warm or your children fed. 

Have faith in God but rely on yourself.  Own property where ever you wish.

How to do CPR
How to use an AED
How to do the Heimlich Maneuver 
How to take a pulse and a temperature 
How to take a blood pressure 
How to backboard and C-collar a patient
How to clean, medicate, and dress a wound
How to immobilize a fractured limb
How to treat someone who is in shock
How to control bleeding
How to treat a burn
How to recognize and treat an allergic reaction
Appropriate use of medications (prescription, over the counter, and naturopathic)
How to care for someone who is ill
How to identify and treat common illnesses
How to suture a wound
How to treat infections
How to identify and care for someone with a head injury
How to prevent the spread of disease and infection
How to deliver a baby
How to give an injection
How to identify and treat poisoning
What Universal Precautions are and why you need to use them
How to treat environmental emergencies
How to know when to seek advanced medical assistance
Nice list.  Go to EMT school & you'll learn how to do all of that, even if you don't want to get licensed it's still a very good experience.

In how many of those skills are you proficient?
All of them.  Though some of those skills are perishable, meaning if you don't practice regularly you get rusty.  It's been a few years since I worked the back of an ambulance & I could use some practice in some of them. ;)

Anything firstaid related, as Archer pointed out.
Anything carpentry related is good to know.
Anything having to do with supplying water, pond building, ram pumps, gravity pumps, etc.
Gardening, obviously.
It's a huge list.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »
A very huge list, and I don't call myself proficient at any yet.

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:25:57 PM »
Nice list.  Go to EMT school & you'll learn how to do all of that, even if you don't want to get licensed it's still a very good experience.

EMT-Basic training and cert are on my near future to do list.  Around here it is $125 and anywhere from 8-16 weeks depending on where you get it and how intense it is. 

When I look at skills, I work on the basics: fire, water, shelter, clothing, whenever I get a chance. 

I started at the top:
  • How to build a fire with a lighter in good weather
  • How to use and keep functional my current water system
  • Repairing my home
  • Repairing my own clothing

And from there am working my way down to the bottom where the skills become the most primitive:
  • Building a fire in wet conditions with no modern conveniences (friction, flint and steel)
  • Using found water (solar still, boiling in a leather pouch, hot rocks in a pit, et cetera)
  • Building shelter with items on hand
  • Fabricating garments from fiber/hides, including such skills as weaving and tanning

This covers a wide gamut, but I consider those basic things I should know.  My major skill focus though is on Food: growing it, cooking it, and eating it.

I was told once "You can be whatever you want, but you can't be everything."  As I looked at how general my survival knowledge was, limited by the amount of time and money I could devote to it, was when I looked at Food as the particular aspect that I wanted to know the most about.

So, once you have the basics done, what motivates you as a person first, and as a survivalist second, that you could use to spur further knowledge?

Or, you could use your urban environment to specialize in a unique situation: surviving in a city. 

Lucretius

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 03:53:49 AM »
"“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

- Robert Heinlein

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 10:50:17 AM »
You forgot a few:

A man should be able to, land an airliner, entertain a child on their birthday, do a magic trick with a coin balloon and cards make a tasty salad dressing with only salt lemon and olive oil, sing the National Anthem in olde Enlglish, commit one Shakespeare play to memory, drive a car on two wheels, taste the difference between coke and pepsi while blindfolded, sew an American Flag, load and fire a musket under 23 seconds, know how to discourse with a traditional pirate, ref a football game, speak with a Liverpool accent and whistle so loud it makes other people's ears ring.   

Lucretius

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
You forgot a few:

A man should be able to, land an airliner, entertain a child on their birthday, do a magic trick with a coin balloon and cards make a tasty salad dressing with only salt lemon and olive oil, sing the National Anthem in olde Enlglish, commit one Shakespeare play to memory, drive a car on two wheels, taste the difference between coke and pepsi while blindfolded, sew an American Flag, load and fire a musket under 23 seconds, know how to discourse with a traditional pirate, ref a football game, speak with a Liverpool accent and whistle so loud it makes other people's ears ring.   

Useful ones in there:
land an airliner, entertain a child (on any day), WHAT IS A COIN BALLOON?, make a tasty salad dressing, commit one Shakespeare play to memory, those are all good.

The rest seem kinda pointless and optional. IMO.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »
x2 on what Spammy said....!

I think 1st aid and fire is pretty up there...

Also, for your situation would be self defense...  Inner city...  If you gotta go on foot... bike... etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07jnqD8wvyE&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hsiurl=http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/07jnqD8wvyE/hqdefault.jpg

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 11:42:07 AM »
i love this list. i believe someone else in the forum had a HUGE list. can't find it so im going to use this one. it's good. copying now.

jarhead1857

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
I agree with all this, I infact created a dicussion around how to begin creating useful skills in the do it yourself forum. We decided blacksmithing/carpentry was best.Here's a link: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5178.0

But I think some things we missed that were very important. For instance: physical strength, dexterity, endurance, and overrall health. I myself am some 30 pounds overweight so this is something I am working on. It actually becomes quite complicated in a city to stay at the right weight.. so much cancerous food is available immediately and for almost nothing all the time. Also, cooking healthy for yourself and others.

These are more immediate things you can set about doing that will make an immediate difference, imho. For instance, I tend to not go to the gym consistently but.. when I've gone to the gym 5 days a week for a month and tanned 3 days a week.. I get hit on almost every single day. That happens for two reasons: one is that I look better but more important is the confidence it brings. Looking good brings alotta confidence to your life which is why I recommend you start of with strength/muscle gain before alot of these other more technical skills.

Browncoat

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
WHAT IS A COIN BALLOON?

I believe that was supposed to be: do magic tricks with coins, balloons, and cards.   ;)

texas hiker

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 04:35:54 PM »
My opinion, gardening is the most important skill that you can learn.  Raising your own food breaks the restraints that society has put on us.  As long as you "have" to go to the grocery store, you are not really self supportive.

jarhead1857

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 12:16:48 AM »
Almost none of us are capable of producing 100% of our own food. It's not realistic. Off setting what we buy, or learning the basic skills to produce a stable healthy garden are what makes gardening worth while.

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »
Almost none of us are capable of producing 100% of our own food. It's not realistic. Off setting what we buy, or learning the basic skills to produce a stable healthy garden are what makes gardening worth while.

yes but 10 of us will be able to feed each other. 100 years ago there was only the mom/pop shops. not wally world. we did it. it can be done again