Author Topic: Political demonstrations in my neighborhood! Help!  (Read 5662 times)

Lucretius

Political demonstrations in my neighborhood! Help!
« on: December 05, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
This weekend there's going to be a BIG nazi demonstration in my neighborhood. Thousands of nazis from all over europe get together once a year to march in my community, to protest the killing of a nazi by an immigrant here several years ago. They do this power demonstration, with torches and drums and all the rest.
Of course, thousands of left-wingers also turn up, and the police are busy keeping these two groups apart.
Typically, this means anarchists hiding from the police in the bushes outside my house, while a nazi marsh is visible from my living room... >:(
(Plus, just to make things PERFECT, this annual happening takes place on my birthday... :o :-[ :'()

Complicating the picture: I openly protested this happening in our community (this was before I had kids!), thus marking me as an enemy to both "political" groups trying to start riots around here...
And the extreme right has been extra active this year, just the other night they set fire to the apartment of a political enemy, knowing that his wife and small shild were home. They barely made it out alive!

Preps I've made for this year:
My BoB is kept extra easily reachable at all times.
All flashlights have newly rotated batteries.
The gates to my garden are locked with chains.
The car is locked inside the garage.
All garden sheds are locked.

What more steps would you take? What would you do differently?

How could this turn from annoying to critically dangerous, and how could I prepare for that?

Thankful for your help!

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
Re: Political demonstrations in my neighborhood! Help!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 07:34:25 AM »
So you must be in Europe......

What kind of laws are there with respect to self defense?  You have taken all appropriate and rational measures, save one I can think of.....take a few days away for your birthday, maybe a small holiday.  That being said, can you have mace, tasers, firearms, etc?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:37:19 AM »
Damn, good luck Lucretius!
Maybe pre-setup hoses in your yard just in case they firebomb your place?

Offline NickJ

• Prepper
  • NEVER pick you nose after harvesting pepper seeds!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:48:35 AM »
As they say, This advice is worth what you paid for it.
Sounds like you know pretty well what you need to do but here are my thoughts:
Send your family somewere else during the demonstration. They won't be at risk and won't be exposed to it.
I expect you want to keep an eye on your home. Can you coordinate with some neighbors to watch out for each other?
Cut back or remove the bushes and other landscaping around your house that can be used for hiding.
If this happens at night keep the outside of your house well lit. If somone is looking for a dark place to hide they will look elsewere.
Clean up or put away items in your yard that could be used for bad purposes.
These things will help improve security during this event and all year round.

This may not be practical but a camera system that you could monitor remotely or over the internet would be great.

Hope this helps,
NickJ

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »
Sounds like a great weekend for a holiday somewhere else.

I am all for defending my stuff, but I wouldn't risk my life or my family's to try to prevent a broken window or slashed tire.

Offline sludgy_nixer

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »
i agree, if you feel the need to stay and protect what is yours, at least send the family to higher ground.
maybe invite over a bunch of friends, preferably the bigger ones, safety in numbers.
god speed.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 12:15:18 AM »
Damn, good luck Lucretius!
Maybe pre-setup hoses in your yard just in case they firebomb your place?
Ha, screw that, I'd use the hoses to spray the stupid nazi wannabes.  Bastards, people are so retarded sometimes.  I'd like to see the nazi's walk down the middle of my street...wankers.

Keep your BOB handy, get a bat & maybe a blow torch & go have fun.  Either way, you've got assholes on one side or the other that deserve to be batted or blow torched....or is that too extreme?

Lucretius

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:13:23 AM »
Thanks everybody! Karma plusses galore!

I'm not planning on going out, looking for trouble. I've got a bat though - in case some gang decides to enter my property. And a crowbar. And a kuhkri. And a couple of axes.  ;D

Sadly, my preps aren't yet so advanced that I can just go to a BOL and let this property take care of itself.
I've got a descent BOL quite close though, if the police loose control only in this neighborhood.

Inviting friends is a good idea, I'm doing that anyway (it's my birthday) - but I didn't think of that as preps!  :-[

It's too cold here to have the hose outside, but that seems like good crowd control for the summertime.

Right now I'm thinking up scenarios - what could go wrong, and how can I deal with that. I'm also discussing these with my wife, so she knows what I'm thinking.
1. Some left wing group manages to kill/hurt a lot of nazis (hiding an IED along the route, or something). Maybe we can't leave our home for a while - we're well prepped for this!  8)
2. Left wing activists use my property to try to hide from the police. I hit them with a tactical flashlight, which I guarantee will lead to them scurrying away looking for a less troublesome hiding place.
3. Nazis attack us directly. The kids stay at their room upstairs, watching some new movies on our laptop. My wife tries to contact the police. If that fails (all lines can be busy during these events  :-X) she'll contact relatives and friends that can talk directly to police in the field, and alert them to our emergency. And, of course, the nazis'll get a taste of the tactical flashlight too... ;D

Thoughts?
I'll let you know how this develops...

John Q Public

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 06:25:51 AM »
Lucretuis,

Wow! This just sucks. I sympathize with your plight. This is a very difficult situation to be in.

Here are my first observations. Please do with them what you wish. If you find value, use it. If not, well my advice is free ---- so feel free to ignore.  :D

If you do not have to be there --- then go away for the weekend. This is why you have insurance.

If you have to stay then:

1. A tactical flashlight without a firearm behind it is a BAD idea IMHO. Nothing backing up the light just shows the Bad Guys where you are. If things get out of hand, you won't be fighting with just one guy.

2. Lighting is the key but not something you are holding. I will put up the biggest lights I could get my hands on and flood my entire property. If this means that you don't have time to install real flood lights in the eaves/roof line of the house --- I would purchase the largest "work" lights that I could and place them around the property -- up against the house facing outward. Be careful with these though. Some get very hot and could pose a fire hazard.

3. No trespassing signs all over the place.

4. Send the wife/kids away for the weekend and invite over as many guy friends as you can. Just don't let them get all liquored up and instigate troubles.

5. If its too cold for a hose outside --- that is when I would use one. Hook it up to the inside plumbing and if things get a little crazy use them to hose down attackers with COLD water from inside the house. Let hypothermia take care of them.  ;D

6. Find whatever is legal for your area that has the most stopping power and arm yourself. This may be a bat, tazer, whatever. Just make certain that it is legal.

7. Move before this time next year.

8. Happy Birthday!

Lucretius

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 07:37:01 AM »
Thanks!

I'll check out if I can hook up a hose from the inside.

I'm NOT moving, my present location has a lot of benefit re: survivalism. This is the eight year of this bull, and I don't think the police will accept it for much longer...

Sitrep:

The police are blocking 3 out of 4 roads leading to my home (by car, that is).
They have bussed away about 200 left wing activists, who had no permit to demonstrate.
They have arrested a busload of German activists on the highway, on their way here.
There's a mysterious black wan with three guys in it, parked on a gravel area outside my home. My bet is they're police.

I brought in some big wool blankets from the garage. My thought is covering the windows (the anarchists are more into throwing rocks and bottles, rather than learning how to use a firearm...).

I'm not that worried right now, since the police officer I've spoken to today seems relaxed. It's worse when they seem stressed or even scared... :o

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »
I'm sorry you and your children have to go through this L.  Make sure that you practice egress with them as well as how to use a fire extinquisher (I'm sure you have a few on hand :)).

Family needs clear/concise instructions on the differance between 'shelter in place' and 'get out of Dodge'. 

Would look at putting up temperary plywood over windows on parade side of house in the event riot brakes out and police launch gas or bad guys through rocks, etc.

Berserker Prime

Lucretius

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
All is quiet on this front.

Some police cars checking the neighborhood out.

All in all, that went well.

Thanks for all the help, tips and support! Now: celebration and relaxation!  ;D (Famous last words  :-X)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
Excellent Lucretius!! I'm glad that you weathered the storm and there seems to be no problems.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
Awsome!  Would by you a beer if I could!

BP

Pokethis

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 03:26:43 PM »
Ger Police Arrest More Than 40 At Neo-Nazi March http://www.javno.com/en/world/clanak.php?id=211826

This looks HUGE.  Man...  I couldn't get a sense of it until I saw this picture

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
is there a way that you can plant poison ivy in those bushes for next year.  Or something that would make it uncomfortable for a couple days afterward.  I mean, they ruined your weekend.  Ruin there week.

Lucretius

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:12:47 AM »
is there a way that you can plant poison ivy in those bushes for next year.  Or something that would make it uncomfortable for a couple days afterward.  I mean, they ruined your weekend.  Ruin there week.

+1

I would, but I've kids of my own, who'd probably fall in it every chance they got...

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 07:40:48 AM »
Glad to hear it went off with out incident. It makes me glad to live where I do. Thugs hiding in my bushes would last exactly 8 seconds. What a hose didn't take care of, other means would. Remember IEDs are not a directional weapon, if they get crazy enough.