Author Topic: SURVIVAL PRIMER; COOPERATING WITH OTHERS  (Read 4032 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
SURVIVAL PRIMER; COOPERATING WITH OTHERS
« on: December 17, 2008, 06:36:22 PM »
SURVIVAL PRIMER; COOPERATING WITH OTHERS

swanson

As it’s said - “NO MAN is an Island.”

EXPECT CONTACT

Survival and disaster scenarios rarely will put you in total isolation. If you do get stranded, it will most likely be with others. Depending on the situation, you may also become a refugee despite your best efforts not to be. Are you prepared for that likelihood?

Hence, it should be part of every survival plan to be ready for this set of possibilities and expect contact with others.

During a crisis, it’s likely you will be cooperating with members of your own family, friends, and/or co-workers as well as other neighborhood dwellers and the local and/or Federal authorities that may be on the scene or involved.

You should expect contact with all sorts of people and be prepared to liaise on occasion with others in the very least.

The best option is to be ready to liaise well in advance of a crisis.

THE VALUE OF GROUPS AND COOPERATION

Life involves others.

When it comes to survival, how can you make this dynamic work for you?

If you are fortunate enough to have others you trust and know that are interested in networking or becoming a part of a volunteer group interested in survival, cooperation, and/or self sufficiency, a great deal of benefits can be gained by planning and assembling your cooperative efforts together and prior to any potential disruption or event.

Here are some examples -

•   Security. An extended Neighborhood Watch can be formed to look after the safety and security of those involved. Contact with local Law Enforcement is often more receptive if a watch is known of and put in place before an emergency arises.
•   Transportation. A shuttle for evacuation, relocation, or resupply can be formed amongst those participating in a volunteer effort.
•   Shelter. A volunteer group may be able to provide temporary or longer term shelter in the advent of the need to relocate during a disaster or survival scenario.
•   Distribution points. Distribution points can be preplanned by volunteer group members to insure that critical goods and are available to members.
•   Communications. Volunteers can relay critical information amongst its membership during a crisis as well as liaise with the authorities when called for.
•   Training and skill sets. Group volunteers will have valuable skill sets to share and potentially provide cross training opportunities for others making the group’s efforts at surviving disaster even more possible.

Being organized pre-planned, and able to evoke the needed hands in times of crisis will set most of the volunteer members of a group light-years ahead of others facing the same crisis  or set of circumstances; which is the whole point to begin with.

The greatest benefit a volunteer group has is being able to supply effort on demand. When a hazard or threat arises, there will be plenty of folks to lend a hand and deal with it.

MAKING USE OF PREEXISTING ORGANIZATIONS

How do you make your local government and agencies useful to your survival efforts?

There’s no better a way for a group of like-minded individuals to gather local intelligence and assess any potential response by the authorities to a crisis in your area than to externally liaise with them.

The more you know about how your local and regional governments and organizations respond and plan for potential threats and crisis, the better off you will be.
Every organization has its strengths and weaknesses. Start assessing how the local governmental apparatuses view disasters and their preparedness levels before a disaster strikes.

Here’s a list of places to start your external liaising efforts on a local level –

•   Your Mayor’s Office, County Commissioners, and local Councilmen’s Assembly.
•   Your Local law Enforcement and Sheriff’s office.
•   Your city and county fire departments, and EMS Services.
•   Your local hospitals and/or primary care facilities.
•    Your District Representatives to the legislature.

The more you know the better off you will be…

To help develop your personal and group preparedness, here’s some things to ask when contacting these organizations:

•   Where’s the nearest office and who is the local contact/representative?
•   Does the organization offer any educational or training opportunities?
•   Does the organization accept any affiliate groups? And what groups are affiliates already?
•   Are there any reaction or contingency plans in place in the area you live in and what are they?
•   Does this organization offer any equipment, grants or assistance that can be made use of?

This should give you or any group of volunteers a decent start in being able to effectively liaise and handle a crisis scenario.

Make use of what’s already in place and survive!!!

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
Re: SURVIVAL PRIMER; COOPERATING WITH OTHERS
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 10:15:37 PM »
Very well thought out Swanson.

I've been kicking around joining the HAM radio club for Matinuska-Susitna for the very reasons you discuss.  On Tuesday I attended a meeting of our ASIS (American Society for Industrial Security) at the Anchorage Emergency Operations Center.  One point they made was that they rely heavily on HAM operators.  I'll post on how it goes, but I have high hopes that this is a good group to know and learn from. 

Berserker Prime

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:18:01 AM »
Berserker Prime,

Great move and show of initiative.

Please, keep us posted on your efforts.

swanson

tash

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »
Something I would recommend is if you have a neighborhood watch is to schedule with your local EMA for a CERT class. When I took my CERT class, 90% of the participants were from the same neighborhood watch (not mine :(). This may go a long way for the individuals in the group who may think your crazy for trying to be on top of things but if they hear it from the local gov they might think it would be useful. Just a thought.

Pokethis

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 02:37:49 PM »
After reading this post I searched for local resources and found the CERT information just as you suggest Tash.  I asked for info on the next training classes.

tash

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »
glad your looking into it poke'. While it is not the best training out there, CERT was free and was a great opportunity to meet individuals whom want to prepare and get an opportunity to test your skills. It is definitely worth taking plus it gives you an opportunity to see how your local police/fire/ems services work. Good stuff. :)