Author Topic: Squirrels are raiding my pear tree!  (Read 16141 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Squirrels are raiding my pear tree!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »
Thanks for that update.  I know that most fruit trees need you to thin the fruit.  I never thought that squirrels would do that job for you.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
Glad to hear that you ended up with plenty anyway...

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 06:19:17 PM »
I have a friend who lives in the city and is an avid gardener.  He is also plagued by squirrels.  He solves his squirrel problems by taking up a sniper position inside the kitchen with a scoped pellet rifle.  The open kitchen door has a nice view of the garden and fruit trees.

Mona Folds

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
Being attacked by moths and wasps or other pests is a sign of a nutrient deficient tree.  A friend of mine did an experiment on her tomatoe plants (she does organic gardening, but wanted to prove how it works to friends/family).  The pests attacked the tomatoe plant that she used the normal conventional way (synthetic fertilizers, etc).  With the other tomatoe plant she used kelp meal (seaweed has all the trace minerals), soil loaded down with beneficial microorganisms, and I can't remember what else.  Nothing bothered this plant and it grew good and strong.

We have 4 fig trees and they say birds and wasps will get to them.  We have problems with neither.  And, if any fall to the ground they aren't left to rot and attract yellow jackets because the chickens love figs.  We have tons of squirrels, and I'm sure they eat some of the figs, but they can only handle so much.