Author Topic: SURVIVAL PRIMER; BUGGING, BUG OUT LOCATIONS, AND BUG OUT GEAR  (Read 5401 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
SURVIVAL PRIMER; BUGGING, BUG OUT LOCATIONS, AND BUG OUT GEAR
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:08:02 PM »
SURVIVAL PRIMER; BUGGING, BUG OUT LOCATIONS, AND BUG OUT GEAR

Here’s my general spin on - BUGGING, BUG OUT LOCATIONS, AND BUG OUT GEAR

swanson

When called for, “bugging” is important, but not as important as the location you are bugging to…

from Paul Purcell’s book, Disaster Prep 101

http://www.amazon.com/Disaster-Prep-101-Paul-Purcell/dp/0942369033/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226148840&sr=8-1

THE LOCAL AND NOT SO LOCAL  BUG OUT DESTINATIONS

O.K.,

You've packed your gear, and got your evacuation atlas and information on your routes all sorted out.

…But, did you plan out your bug out location to meet your needs as best possible?

First and foremost - PLAN OUT YOUR DESTINATION (BUG OUT LOCATION)

Too many of us focus on the Bug Out “movement” part of the whole crisis plan, and tend to not examine and prepare the location they are “Bugging” too.

If you have a choice, would you not prepare your bug out location(s) prior to a problem?

Here are some “big picture” thoughts on planning out your destination –

•   Remember, the evacuation destination directly shapes what and how you pack for your Bug out in the first place.

o   Ask yourself –
                - What utilities are available at my intended bug out location? What toiletries and hygiene items are there and what do I need to bring?
                - What other sustainment items and food stuffs can I feasibly bring along to help support what is available at my destination(s)?

•   Is the bug out location set up as a temporary domicile (7-10 days) or prepared for longer term occupancy (30-120 days +)?

•   Is the bug out location another local destination or a regional location a greater distance? And will I wear my welcome out sooner or later if I am sharing space with others?

•   Is there adequate access to communications available at my destination?

•   Is there access to financial institutions and disaster support organization so I can tend to my needs as well as others (family)?

•   What will I do for work and occupy time while I remain at my bug out location?

These are just a few things that strike me when I think about the dynamics of bug out locations.

BUG OUT GEAR

I love this forum.

I do not have to write anything more on the subject of Bug Out Kit because the Repository at the forum covers this topic in depth.

Thank you Jack and THANK YOU Administrators for putting this together for us all…

Crucial info can be found here –

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=50.0

So what do you think?

edited in accordance with Fair Use policy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:55:07 PM by ZenGunFighter »