Author Topic: Too Cheap to spend money on Hiking Stick.  (Read 12201 times)

SirOwen

Too Cheap to spend money on Hiking Stick.
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
But I am willing to utilize an old Pool (Billiard) Cue. I had two old, not-terribly-expensive pool cues that had warped due to negligence on my part. Drilling a hole for a lanyard turned one of them into a really serviceable hiking pole.

Mind you, I'm not suggesting you do this with your old McDermott, Mali or Meucci, but an old cue you don't intend to repair. The length is right, the strength is acceptable and, depending on your tastes, it might look really cool, too!

Offline TwoXForr

• Prepper
    • Stories from the Mind* and Keyboard of A.A. Forringer
Re: Too Cheap to spend money on Hiking Stick.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 03:54:28 PM »
Have you tried it out on the trail yet?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 03:59:52 PM »
good idea!
If its a two or three piece you could even break it down into a computer bag or BOB.

Offline OLD DUDE

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »
I use them for flint knapping Issi sticks and bopper handles

Offline oreoexpo

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
I have a staff from old martial arts classes that I could use if I had to.  The other handy part of that is I have some idea what to do with it in a fight, too :-)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »
Another cheap option is replacement tool handles - broomstick, hoe, rake, etc... which you can buy new for under $10. Alternatively, you can always cut off a broom once worn out and use that handle. Or buy long dowel rods / wooden curtain rods.

I find a few minutes of sanding, then stain and a little boiled linseed oil will help it look more like a proper staff and less like a broom stick. Make a handle from paracord.

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 09:54:22 PM »
I broke my fishing pole last summer while surfing on a canoe.  Its a 2 piece pole, and I got to thinking today that the lower  half of the rod could make a very light wieght walking stick.  It can take some bend to it too.  I was pushing on it, testing it out tonight and it wasn't too bad.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
  • We have to help each other.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 11:25:16 PM »
I have made many staffs over the years and given many away.  My current experiment is made by gluing (2) 1"x3" oak boards from Home Depot as a start.  Modern glues are stronger than the wood and differing grain in the 2 pieces adds strength.  I wanted to experiment with having a "T" at the top.  Using the same material I fitted a top piece using a mortise and tendon joint, with wedge.  The T extends 1.75" toward the rear of the shaft and 3.5" toward the front.  Being exactly armpit high this could double as a crutch.  I used hand tools to shave the shaft almost round, slightly oval, 1.4" at the top and 1.25" at the bottom.  A small shoulder is pinned at the top under the longer side of the T.  Linseed oil finish.  After gluing, shaping, assembling, and before oiling, I let it sit inside the (dry) house for a couple of months to finish drying, which reduces weight.  With leather thong grip and sisal twine wound around its balance point (I like it because it's soft) it weighs 2 lbs and is indestructible.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 12:33:16 PM »
I made a very nice one from a closet hanger pole.  It is very light and hard.  Not easy to work with, but I sanded the hand hold down to ergonomically comfortable position and somewhat sharpened the end to dig in better.

I also drilled a hole midway down the shaft and 3/4 the way down, then fed 550 chord through the top hole (just enough to tie it off, then wrapped it around the shaft tightly until it got down to the bottom hole, then fed it through and tied it off.  I looks nice and gives you a good amount of 550 chord to use for what ever.  I added alot more, but you get the idea.  Only used what was in the house.

If your interested, I'll post pictures when I get back home (1/5). 

V/r
BP

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
I made a very nice one from a closet hanger pole.  It is very light and hard.  Not easy to work with, but I sanded the hand hold down to ergonomically comfortable position and somewhat sharpened the end to dig in better.

I also drilled a hole midway down the shaft and 3/4 the way down, then fed 550 chord through the top hole (just enough to tie it off, then wrapped it around the shaft tightly until it got down to the bottom hole, then fed it through and tied it off.  I looks nice and gives you a good amount of 550 chord to use for what ever.  I added alot more, but you get the idea.  Only used what was in the house.

If your interested, I'll post pictures when I get back home (1/5). 

V/r
BP
Please do BP. thanks!

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
What my folks use is a cheap hiking stick in the form of a 20 year old cross country ski poll during this time of the year.  It maybe beat up, but it does have good grips, plus if needed a strap to make sure you don't drop it. 

My dad indicated that it helps him walk a bit straighter and helps him keep good speed when walking thru the fields.    All, in all he loves the use for walking sticks.

Oh, my dad had 3 knees replaced, one twice due to infection. And both of my parents are in their mid 80's. 

Brad - in Colorado

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:19:35 PM »
Had to clear out a few smaller trees at my folks, so have been knocking out some walking sticks...

Wild cherry - great wood, looks nice, easy to work
Sycamore - easy to work, very light in color, seems light for it's size
Crabapple - looks great, very hard to carve, dense wood

For a hiking staff, I like one that is about eyeball height. I typically do paracord wraps, a cobra stitch / solomon bar can be tightened down enough that it won't slip. You can also make a larger braided loop to allow you to use it like a proper hiking staff and put more weight onto it.

I have a few that I coated the bottom with JB Weld to help prevent wear - this is okay, but will wear off after a few hard hikes. I have also attached large washers to the bottom to give a harder surface - this is a little slippery on paved surfaces, but fine on trails.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I've picked up a decent piece of redwood that I've been slowly turning into a walking stick. Easy to work and the color is nice. If my wife did not throw it away...

Offline Howard Wallace

• Master Goat Inflator
  • Survivor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
I have a few that I coated the bottom with JB Weld to help prevent wear - this is okay, but will wear off after a few hard hikes. I have also attached large washers to the bottom to give a harder surface - this is a little slippery on paved surfaces, but fine on trails.

I use a crutch tip from the hardware store.  They only cost about a buck, give a good non-slip grip on many surfaces, and last a long time.

Offline welshman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
The 2 piece aluminum frog gig pole with a rubber end of a crucher for the ground end put the small gig in you bob and you have a  frog and fish gig for  getting food. The pole is about 4 ft long when retracted and nearly 8 ft when extended really handy walking stick. that's what I use

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:54 AM »
1" Oak dowel.  Any lumber place with a good assortment of molding should have this.  Has a round cross section.  I have used these for staffs in the past and they're tougher than you would think. 

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
I found a couple of aluminum ski poles at a garage sale for a dollar each. Still have the rings and leather cross straps on the bottom and they are sharp on the bottom. Good hand grips. I have no idea how old the are but are very serviceable. I will be taking some flat colored paint and paint them as they are very shinny.

Offline Cryptozoic

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
Not strong enough.
Go to a lumber yard or Lowes or Home Depot and buy a 1" Oak dowel about 6 feet long.  In the 90s they cost about a buck a foot.  A better staff you will not find for $6.  You'd have to work hard to break it deliberately.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
My favorite stick is a piece of osage orange, 1 1/2" in diam. at the top, tapering naturally to @7/8" at the bottom. The top of the stick has a nice flare from where it joined a bigger branch.

Osage orange is a very tough hard wood - I can chin myself from my stick without breaking or straining it. Locally, the tree is also known as the monkey ball tree.

Save your money - make your own stick. It's fun and suprisingly easy.

soup