Author Topic: RV camper organization  (Read 8527 times)

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
RV camper organization
« on: May 12, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
I'm not really sure where to put this topic but since women generally get stuck with the organizing and packing, I thought I'd start here. 

We've had some soft of camper for years.  Initially it was a Lance in-the-bed camper for our Dodge D350.  We then went too big to a 35 ft Victory Lane toy hauler.  We loved it but rarely used it because it was so big and set-up was time consuming.  We downsized and now have a 23ft Coyote hybrid (bedrooms fold-out like pop-up).  Do you have any tips for utilizing the space to it's fullest?  Because it is small, we don't have a lot of storage space "typical" campers do.  Both compartments under the dinette are taken, one by the fresh water storage tank and the other by the hot water heater.  The compartment under the sofa is going to become more organized.  It is not currently accessible from the interior but I am going to investigate the possibility of a couple of small drawers mounted to one end for interior storage.  We do have two closets with a drawer and storage cabinet underneath each.  The drawers are used for undies.  The cabinets are not being used well yet.  I started using one for storing canned goods but it is not designed well for that and is on the floor.  The closets are tall enough and deep enough to hang shirts.  I've worked with trying different shelving options but so far haven't found a good working system yet.

Anyway, I'm rambling.  I'd love to hear your experiences.  If I get some time this evening, I will do some measuring, brainstorming and maybe even some picture taking and post more.  I'm hoping to build this more into a BOV type thing.  This was pushed more to the forefront of my mind the other night when the well pump was down.  We had the camper to wash, cook, etc.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: RV camper organization
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »
I can't give any specifics, but can say one thing we did.  Under our couch, there was a drawer.  When I took off the cushions and top, I found there was easily 4" of space around that drawer.  Needless to say, we don't have that drawer any more.

Another thing we do is ensure that anything that goes with us every time but isn't left in the popup goes in milk crates.   This makes it easy to get the camper packed up and since they are in crates, they stack easily.

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:10:14 PM »
One thing I did when I got my pop up was made a trip to goodwill.  I stocked it completely with pots, pans, dishes, silverware, cooking utensiles, knives, etc.  All for around $20.  I didn't want to have to take anything from my house to cook or eat with.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
One thing I did when I got my pop up was made a trip to goodwill.  I stocked it completely with pots, pans, dishes, silverware, cooking utensiles, knives, etc.  All for around $20.  I didn't want to have to take anything from my house to cook or eat with.

Yeah I did that too and have just moved them from camper to camper ever since. All of that stays in the camper as does some clothing and towels and wash rags and sheets and blankets and the sleeping bags. I also kept foil and plastic wrap and wax paper, salt, pepper, garlic powder, alway in the camper. We were really bad about getting home from work on Friday evening and one or the other of us would say "let's take the camper and go...." I had a small section of one kitchen cupboard that had flour in a coffee can, cornmeal in another, pasta in foil, a small bottle of cooking oil, a can of coffee and some tea bags, soap, shampoo, and whatever toiletries. That went into a milk crate and then I'd raid my refrigerator, freezer, and cupboards for whatever I thought I'd want to cook. We could be on the road in 15 minutes and not hurry at all. One stop for ice because my freezer never had room to stock it.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:49:12 AM »
We've done the same as far as keeping it stocked.  Fresh food and clothes are all we need each time we use it.  Since we haven't had this one long and haven't been out in it much, I'm still trying to get everything arranged.  DH brought up the fact that when folded up, there is considerable space between the matress and the wall.  This is where all the sheets and blankets will be stored, each bed will have their own set.  The couple that had the camper before us had two sets of sheets for each bed and left them with them camper.  I had a set for each bed from the old camper.  We've been using two cabinets for those and all the assorted blankets.  That's changing.  One set each.  The nicest two sets will go in the house as I realized my youngest only has one set of sheets for her bed.  The next nicest set will go in the camper.  Then, at least one set is cheap and scratchy and they will go to Goodwill.

Clothing storage is the hardes to figure out.  I tend to over pack somewhat so I'm prepared and I hate to be cold or wet.  My girls also tend to get wet/muddy/etc quite regularly.  If there's the chance, they'll take it. When it is just the four of us, it's easy.  They get one side we get the other.  However, much of the time one or both of my parents are with us.  I'm getting creative and will post more, hopefully with pictures, as I get things that work for us going.

Please keep suggestions coming.  Organization is not my strong suit.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »
When my kids were younger we had a pickup bed camper with very little room. I laid their clothes out flat under the mattresses. That way I could take more and they could get wet/muddy/dirty all they wanted.

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:48:15 PM »
Granny, that'd work great except since our beds fold up, no mattresses to put them under until we are in place.  I could see about a container for each to go between the mattress and the wall. 

I've made a lot of progress and I hope to get pictures this weekend with what I've implemented.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 04:25:11 PM »
I'm looking forward to the pictures as well. 

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
I posted on my blog my progress thus far. 
http://alabamashooters.com/anothergunchick/?p=1230

I hope to get another post up either later or tomorrow on areas that are still challenging me.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:41:44 PM »
Look around here http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php and you will find a ton of tips and mods

Offline EmmaPeel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
Thanks so much for that link.  That gave me a lot of information and ideas.